Painless wiring harness experience? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painless wiring harness experience?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
TX74cj5
1974 CJ5 

Painless wiring harness experience?

I'm looking at getting this painless wiring harness:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/12-circ...nce-10105.html

Anyone installed or have experience with these harnesses?
Cheers

TX74cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
cdtaylor02
1985 CJ7 

I installed the in terminated kit and it wasn't that bad. It was the first time that I wired anything yo that extent I should have done more research but I just dove on in and it worked out pretty well. Good luck to you if you go for it
cdtaylor02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

PO had installed one in mine.....all the labeled wires go to the right place and tracking wires is very easy........mine looks like it has been installed for a while and seems to be holding up well......one of the few things on this jeep that has given me no problems at all......

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Tigerjeep79
1979 CJ7 

I did it and have no regrets. Everything works! The volt meter doesn't take a dive when I turn on the lights, all the turn signals work, the heater doesn't blow a fuse every time I turn it on, and for cryin' out loud, even the backup lights work!

The kit comes in three sections - under hood, under dash, and chassis (taillights, etc.). When installing the under dash section, I removed all the dash screws and pulled the dash up the steering column, securing it to the steering wheel with bungees. I also flipped the windshield down for better access. Crawling under a CJ dash is not my idea of fun.

I did mine in two weekends, but it could have been done in half the time - I just wanted to be meticulous.

Of all the projects I've started and finished on my Jeep, the Painless kit was probably the most worthwhile and rewarding.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I used that exact harness. it was no problem to install and would use it again in a heartbeat.
Unread 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
TX74cj5
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog304 View Post
I used that exact harness. it was no problem to install and would use it again in a heartbeat.
Would I be correct in assuming that it will come with a set of instructions/schematics?
Unread 10-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX74cj5 View Post

Would I be correct in assuming that it will come with a set of instructions/schematics?
A lot of folks seem to have trouble with their directions according to the number of help me posts I see. When I did mine, I used the Centech harness because of that. It was truly painless and worked very well with good directions.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
cdtaylor02
1985 CJ7 

It will cone with instructions but like he mentioned, I had to do a lot or research. Well worth it but drove me nuts. I'm just not that great at wiring either you will have to reference your stock harness as well for some things can't recall what though. Sorry
cdtaylor02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
keithcj-7
1978 CJ7 

American auto wire has a harness coming out in november. I used both AAW & PL and prefer AAW!
keithcj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You do have options other than Painless. I also went with Centech and was VERY pleased with the quality and excellent directions. Centech leaves the ignition wires WITHOUT the connectors because so many owners change them. But they also show you how to wire different systems.

I will NOT tell you that Painless is NOT a good product, as I have never used them. I'm only saying there are good alternatives.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

what wire covering are yall using with your harnesses? surely you aren't leaving bare wires?
smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
what wire covering are yall using with your harnesses? surely you aren't leaving bare wires?
The Centech harness comes with looms over the wires and you just plug in the Jeep components where the wires come out of the looms. The main loom also has a dedicated ground wire for picking up things like tail lights and gas gauge senders. Real handy with my 'glass tub. The connections are all done with weatherproof heatshrink also. It is a nice setup.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Has anyone messed with the universal harness from BJs offroad? I'm assuming it will have to be cut to length and terminated by the end user but it seems like a great deal for those who are willing to do that. They offer a 12 and a 21 circuit and all wires labeled every 5".

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1167.htm
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
TX74cj5
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
A lot of folks seem to have trouble with their directions according to the number of help me posts I see. When I did mine, I used the Centech harness because of that. It was truly painless and worked very well with good directions.
Thanks for the heads up

I'll look into those Centech harnesses.
Unread 10-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
TX74cj5
1974 CJ5 

Just finished reading up on Centech and their wiring harnesses/switches. They definitely seem like a solid company. After reading some reviews I think this is the direction I am going to go. Here is the link to the website and the exact harness...
http://www.centechwire.com/Early-CJ-...Kit-GV-16J.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.