Painless CJ harness getting an update...requests? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Painless CJ harness getting an update...requests?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert0670 View Post
Thanks Eric, when its ready let me know, since I have time I will wait for the new kit, and option kits to be available. As for the manifold heater, I could be wrong but the manifold "heater" is just a damper that blocks the exhaust port and forces the exhaust back into the intake. When the "spring" temperature gets hot enough it allows the damper to open (with counterweight). At least that's how my '80 CJ7 is.

If you need a beta tester I'm available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert0670 View Post
Eric

Double checked my FSM. The 6 and 8 cyl engines both use bimetallic springs to control the manifold valve to heat incoming air. No electrical heaters.

Depends on the year.

Any CJ with an Aluminum intake manifold uses an electric Manifold heater.
It operates until the water temp reaches 160*
I know '84 and later had them but up to '80 did not. Possibly 81 did not either.

82 to 83 I'm not sure. Seems like they were already were running a computer to control the carter in California and may have had the heater because they used a idle speed control box to control the idle speed when heater was running.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #32
eric0o1

We discussed the need for a Jeep duraspark on Friday and I believe I'll be bringing a CJ in as soon as I get this instruction manual done to get the correct lengths.

thanks for the picture of the heater, I've wondered what the element looked like. I guess I need to locate a manifold on ebay and get one here and test the relay and fuse holder I hope to use for the relay harness. I think if I can use what I'm planning it will keep the costs down.
eric0o1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

I've read online (google search) of people claiming that the painless wiring instructions are inaccurate concerning tne oil gauge. They claim instructions reverse the connections.
Are you aware of this?
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

My 83 has the manifold heater
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #35
eric0o1

yes I am aware of the oil pressure issue, I believe who ever wrote the original manual based the instructions on whatever we had in the shop at the time. I believe most aftermarket gauges are reversed from the factory. I know that the pictures I have here of an install we did a year ago shows them reversed compared to the factory. The install we did had a crown oil pressure gauge.

I also have a heater manifold coming to me this week so I can test amperage load to finally get a relay kit designed.
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
tacjeep99

This might have been suggested, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

Why not also add some auxiliary fused power circuits so things like power ports for phone chargers and GPS can be used? I would suggest maybe 3-5 extra power circuits for the interior of a CJ. Have the wiring be long enough to reach the back of the Jeep in case somebody wants to run a fridge or something similar.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #37
eric0o1

there are a couple accessory wires provided and the new manual outlines how optional factory components we provide circuits for can be used for accessories as well.

To give an update, I'm in the home stretch now and re-doing some lengths and redesigning the tail harness. Does anyone have pictures of where the tail harness passes through on a CJ8? I know it's not in the back like the 5 and 7's but can't seem to locate a local CJ8 to take any photos of my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.