Painless #10110 install completed! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

Painless #10110 install completed!

Just finished installing the Painless wiring kit #10110. Everything works! Whew! Everything went smoothly. The only area in the instructions that were kinda misleading was the sections for hooking up the Solenoid Alternator & Maxi-Fuse. I cobbled together this drawing from the instructions and it seemed to help me wrap my head around the hook up of those wires since they are not labeled according the instructions. This diagram is for Jeeps with HEI and Manual tranny. Maybe this will help someone else. PS- don't assume new parts are good. I had a new starter relay that was bad out of the box. Smoking battery cables are NOT good.

Attached Thumbnails
10110 83cj7 with HEI.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Good to know it worked for you. I'm looking into getting one myself and good input on a product is always helpful.

Where at in Missouri?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Good to know it worked for you. I'm looking into getting one myself and good input on a product is always helpful.

Where at in Missouri?
30 minutes east of KC.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Just did mine too, it was actually pretty painless once I figured out my key switch was bad and I always had accessory power even with the key switch off. I cleaned up my other column and put it in and ta da! Very happy with the product. I may be having a issue with the electric choke wire but since I have a HEI I have a few extra B+ leads to work with. Going to chase down the issue with it first before I run a different wire to it. Glad it went well for others and I would recommend it to anyone. It aint cheap, but it saves a lot of headaches with 20+ year old wires.

Firefighters Jeep Club

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
post #5 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esearscj7 View Post
30 minutes east of KC.
I'm a Missourian too. Not far from Hannibal.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #6 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Newjeep75
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Just finished installing the Painless wiring kit #10110. Everything works! Whew! Everything went smoothly. The only area in the instructions that were kinda misleading was the sections for hooking up the Solenoid Alternator & Maxi-Fuse. I cobbled together this drawing from the instructions and it seemed to help me wrap my head around the hook up of those wires since they are not labeled according the instructions. This diagram is for Jeeps with HEI and Manual tranny. Maybe this will help someone else. PS- don't assume new parts are good. I had a new starter relay that was bad out of the box. Smoking battery cables are NOT good.
Well Congratulations. I did the same on my '75 CJ5 about 5 years ago. I had the same problem with the instructions. But what I did find was that Painless really knows what they are talking about. Their help line is just fantastic. They helped me out a lot to get the project completed.

The truck hasn't stalled out since the new wiring install.

Todd.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

painless

yeah i too just finished a painless wiring,don't remember what part number but it was a 12 circuit streetrod kit, alot cheeper than jeep style harness,the only promblem i had was with the headlight switch couldn't figure how to use oe jeep headlight switch with painless kit, i ended up ordering a gm switch/w post, nut and wire connector from hotrod wires,much cheaper than what painless wanted for theirs[55.00],but ended up gettin burned on that, switch was junk/cheapchina, headlights on for more than 5 mins would start to blink, so ended up getting a good switch and headlights everything working great so far. but when i was serchin for the first switch and found hotrod wires i was kickin myself for not doing more research for wire harnesses hotrod wires has 12 circuit kits for like 100.00 cheaper than painless kit but hindsight i'm probally better off with painless, cause i really like there product/service.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
rclark678
1984 CJ7 

I know this is from last year just got a question, my alt wire group and solenoid alt group have 2 red wires each. Do I use all 4 red wires or just pull the one labeled and the other 2 get rolled back? thanks in advance

Quote:
post #9 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Going to do this too. Thanks for the heads up. Nice drawing . Not at all cobbled up. Would be nice to see some pics of your wiring, if you can. Need all the help I can get in this area!

Thanks

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
post #10 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
esearscj7
1983 CJ7 

Hey rclark678, all four wires are used. The Red 787 wire is actually one wire that loops back into the wire harness . See my drawing. Hope this answers the question. As newjeep75 stated, Painless has a really good help line that you can call.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore30 View Post
Just did mine too, it was actually pretty painless once I figured out my key switch was bad and I always had accessory power even with the key switch off. I cleaned up my other column and put it in and ta da! Very happy with the product. I may be having a issue with the electric choke wire but since I have a HEI I have a few extra B+ leads to work with. Going to chase down the issue with it first before I run a different wire to it. Glad it went well for others and I would recommend it to anyone. It aint cheap, but it saves a lot of headaches with 20+ year old wires.
The choke wire is activated by an oil pressure switch, (not the oil gauge sender) both in same location review schematic

79 CJ 5 Frame up Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79-cj-5-frame-up-1092681/
post #12 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
75*CJ

Quote:
30 minutes east of KC.
I'm south of KC...Joplin!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 AM
rclark678
1984 CJ7 

hey thanks, right after I asked I looked at the painless forum and found the answer.
She starts ,,so now I just need to figure out why my gauges aren't working. Hopefully it is just a bad ground...

Quote:
Hey rclark678, all four wires are used. The Red 787 wire is actually one wire that loops back into the wire harness . See my drawing. Hope this answers the question. As newjeep75 stated, Painless has a really good help line that you can call.

Tags
alternator , battery , fuse , harness , maxi fuse , pain less , painless , painless harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.