Paging Dr. House....Paging Dr. House - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Paging Dr. House....Paging Dr. House

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

Paging Dr. House....Paging Dr. House

I have a diagnoses problem for you Jeep doc's out there. Whenever I put it in reverse it makes kind of a popping noise and it feels like the e-brake is on for just a second then it "breaks" and it goes just as smooth as ever. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

AMC 20 rearend
d300 x-case
999 tranny

Unread 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
pkt1213

Does it only do it once? Does it have rear drums? Maybe a bad wheel cylinder?

Kinda sounds like what was happening on my gf's car when it had a sticky caliper. Maybe someone else has a better idea?
pkt1213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavSilvrCJ
I have a diagnoses problem for you Jeep doc's out there. Whenever I put it in reverse it makes kind of a popping noise and it feels like the e-brake is on for just a second then it "breaks" and it goes just as smooth as ever. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

AMC 20 rearend
d300 x-case
999 tranny
Sound like possibly a bad u-joint. Sometimes when those U-joints are used to going in one direction (i.e. when you have the car driving forward) they can act up when you have them spinning the opposite way (reverse).

Double check them and add some grease to the fittings. You may need to even replace them.

Just my
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

It does have drums.
I was thinking U-joint as well but I just checked them and greased them about a week and half and they were good. I have only noticed it since I put my hard top and hard doors back on. Do you think the extra weight could have caused a problem with a U-joint???
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...59358&t=281264
Could this be the problem, missing some teeth on the reverse gear???
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I guess it could be your gears, but you said the noise stops, so that makes me believe it is not. I dont think the extra weight could have caused the problem. The added weight only amounts to an average size male.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

Ok thanks guys I'll check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.