pacesetter exhaust CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > pacesetter exhaust CJ5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-13-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

pacesetter exhaust CJ5

I recently purchased the entire system from 4wd hardware

http://www.4wd.com/shop/DisplayProdu...ductSKU=882106

What I have is a question.
I got the passenger side header on and I am trying to run the rest of the passenger side exhaust. I can't seem to figure out what pipes go where. I put the TC drop kit in with the 4" lift I have and I am not sure if that is interfering or not. I wouldn't think it was, but not sure. I lay them out in how the picture looks and it seems to be OK, but the exhaust comes out at a strange angle on the side.

Just curious if anyone has bought the same kit for the 70's 304 CJ-5.

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

OK, actually I forgot to ask, but if anyone has a pic or know of anywhere I can see pics with the installation, that would be cool as well.

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 07-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Lightningdon

And now for the bad news! Take it to a muffler shop! I bought the Pacesetter complete kit, headers and duals. There was NO way the pipes would line up. Took in to the muffler shop and had them do it. They said there was no way that kit was for that vehicle. They had to cut/ bend/ tweak every pipe to make it fit. Wasn't even close! Only cost me about $90 to have it installed, though.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
awachwhiteboy
1975 CJ5 

I had another bad experiance with a pacesetter exhaust system for an import car. Nothing lined up it was a ***** to put on, you do get what you pay for when it comes to automotive products.
Sacramento Jeepers Group #1
awachwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:54 AM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Well the Jeep is still a rolling chasis, so bringing it to a muffler shop isn't going to happen anytime soon. The driver side seems like it might work, it is just the passenger side that doesn't seem right. The muffler keeps looking like it is going to rub against the shock.

Anyway to get a picture of what the mufflier shop ended up with?

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 07-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Lightningdon

That's a toughy!! I have no access to a lift and the tranny and t-case are currently out, so I can't take it somewhere. I can tell you that both sides run above the tranny crossmember , then comes the mufflers, then immediately into the bends over the rear axle, and to the sides of the tank. Lotta help huh?! The 2 sides do not mirror each other. I'm sorry I can't be more precise.

Just leave the exhaust off. When you are done with your build-up, run open headers to the muffler shop. That's what I did. By the way, mine sounds great!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Unread 07-14-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Lightningdon

OK, let's try this....
Left side...

Exit header
@6 inches straight back
Slight(6 deg) bend up for 12 inches
bend down parralel with frame
attach muffler just behind the crossmember
exit muffler with an immediate 45 degree up bend followed with a bend to the outside.
run along beneath the frame and exit behind the wheel.

Right Side...

Exit header
6 inches straight back
30 degree up bend for a 12 inch run
30 degree down bend to be parralel with frame(you should be able to see about 1 inch of the pipe above the top of the frame rail
go 6 inches straight back
attach muffler
exit muffler with an immediate 45 degree bend to the outside followed by a bend up over the axle
at top of axle, bend parralel to, and just beneath the frame rail
exit behind the wheel.

I took a few photos but it will be a couple days till I get them for you.

Unread 07-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #8
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing the pics, however, 1 muffler has like a 90 degree bend at the end of it. Pretty strange, but I am pretty sure that goes on the passender side, just not sure whether it goes up, down, left or right. I guess I will see with the pics.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
Lightningdon

Actually the muffler with the bend goes on the driver side. The bend will angle up, only a few degrees toward the outside of the CJ. As it reaches the top of the axle, the pipe will be angled toward the rear corner at about 45 degrees, till it gets to the frame rail. Then it follows the under the frame to the turnout behind the wheel.

I only hope the photos I took will help. Tough to get a good look when not up on a lift.

Unread 07-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

well from that, I know now where to put the muffler, but I need to figure out now which tail pipe goes with what. I have one pipe that has lots of bends and curves it seems and the other doesn't have too much.

Also, I think I have the first pipe before the muffler correct becaues only one fits around the transfer case on the passenger side. It is the one with the multiple bends.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 07-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #11
Lightningdon

I knew I was in trouble from the start. There was no way my pipes would clear the crossmember without bends. Of course the first package from Pacesetter had a pipe that was like 6 feet long and had a 2 bolt flange on the lead end! Wrong damn pipe in the box! Had to call in parts numbers to figure out which pipe part number was missing. They sent it out right away though.

Unread 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM   #12
Lightningdon

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fba71113.jpg

Well that looks like crap! Sorry but these pics look terrible!

Last edited by Lightningdon; 07-16-2003 at 07:00 PM..
Unread 07-16-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

No offense, but with the four as one pic, I can't see anything.
Anyway to get all four separate and not on 1 pic?

If you can't post em, you can send em to me if that is easier

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 07-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #14
Lightningdon

LOL..... No offense taken! You should be offended by those pics! javascript:smilie('')
wink

I'll work on getting them separated and all. I was trying to figure out Imagestation as well as trying to figure out how to get link on the post, and gave up at that point. Should have it for you this evening.

Unread 07-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #15
Lightningdon

I sure hope this works!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289649649

Last edited by Lightningdon; 07-17-2003 at 01:44 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.