Overhauling Rancho Leaf Springs - Tips Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Overhauling Rancho Leaf Springs - Tips Please

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
salemjeep
1986 CJ7 

Overhauling Rancho Leaf Springs - Tips Please

I've picked up a set of used Rancho 2 1/2" lift springs for my 1986 CJ7. The spring have some surface rust from sitting outside and I want to overhaul/clean them before I put them on.

Does anyone have suggestions how best to go about overhauling leaf springs?

What is the best way to deal with opening the clamps?

TIA

Kevin

img_3445-640x480-.jpg   img_3446-640x480-.jpg   img_3447-640x480-.jpg  
salemjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

You could blast or wire wheel and paint them, but what I'd do is find or make a large enough tub for them to sit in, and go find a 5-gallon bucket of vinegar and let them sit in that for a couple days. It should eat all the rust away, leaving nice clean metal. Doesn't smell too nice, but it works well (on smaller parts anyhow).
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
gpets
1981 CJ5 

I wouldn't open the clamps.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

neither would I, you'll just wind up weakening them. You can also try the old trick used by cast iron restoration guys. Buy a kiddie pool or similar shallow container. fill it with water and add baking soda, not sure of the quantity. Then hook up a battery charger to a piece of metal and to the pieces you are cleaning. not sure of the polarity so check out this link. i did it with parts for an old plymouth of mine, worked great.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros_1.php
jpywell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

I've opened 'em numerous times by heating the bend with a torch but you have to be very careful not to heat the spring. As said, if you don't have to I wouldn't. Heating them and unbending a 90 deg. then heating again and closing it back up makes the clamps brittle and I've seen more than one break when closing them back up.

I'd just wire wheel 'em as best you can and give them the spray bomb treatment. Even if you take them apart the paint will wear off them where they rub anyway the first time you drive it so it's more of an exercise in futility than anything. Even a few mud baths and pressure washes will quickly reverse all your efforts so just go with the KISS approach.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #6
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I've opened 'em numerous times by heating the bend with a torch but you have to be very careful not to heat the spring. As said, if you don't have to I wouldn't. Heating them and unbending a 90 deg. then heating again and closing it back up makes the clamps brittle and I've seen more than one break when closing them back up.

I'd just wire wheel 'em as best you can and give them the spray bomb treatment. Even if you take them apart the paint will wear off them where they rub anyway the first time you drive it so it's more of an exercise in futility than anything. Even a few mud baths and pressure washes will quickly reverse all your efforts so just go with the KISS approach.
I concur, I have opened mine twice with a torch and some gentle work, but if you are just cleaning and repainting there is no need to separate the pack. The only time I have opened mine was to tune the suspension and shorten leaves.
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
CSP

Personally I'd open them up and take the leaf pack apart. Paint the leaves with graphite paint and reassemble. Leave the tabs open on the clamps and drill a hole through them for a bolt to go from one side to the other. You get a bit more flex this way. The local spring company that I use for ubolts sells clamps which use a bolt rather than bending the tabs down.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

You could clean them with phosphoric acid and a wire brush. The acid both eats away and converts the rust while the wire brush let's you expose the rust.

I keep some in a cheap spray bottle all the time. In the end the phosporic acid cleans it up and puts a coating on them to prevent flash rusting... it's also a good primer.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.