over heating problems. need help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > over heating problems. need help.

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
jesseg
1997 ZJ 

The motor is timed correctly and the carb is tuned great. Runs great on the trail but as soon as I let it idle or start crawling the temp jumps extremely high.

Unread 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
jesseg
1997 ZJ 

Wellmax

Yes I custom fabricated a shroud it has no holes in it it completely covers the whole radiator
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You need more low speed air flow. Get a shroud.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

What exact fan are you using? If the blades flex to much they won't pull any air. As a test, run the engine at 1500 RPM's with the hood up. Use you hand on the carb to hold the RPM's, watch the fan blades , and feel for air flow with the other hand. If the air flow slows (decreases) from idle, a non Performance fan would be my next step.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
jesseg
1997 ZJ 

I just bought a new fan that supposedly pulls more air at low rpm's. I'm going to see if that works.
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
braguenavy
1984 CJ7 

You could probably find a pusher fan to mount in front of your radiator, between the radiator and the grille.
braguenavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
lonetrader
1975 CJ5 

What temps do you consider too high. What is your normal operating temp? Your normal op temp should be around 190. 220 is acceptable when running slow. What about a solid 6 blade 17" fan.
lonetrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
jesseg
1997 ZJ 

At high rpm's the temp is at 215 at idle or a slow crawl it jumps to 250-260 almost instantly. And regarding the pusher fan I have almost no room in between the grill and radiator I have 1 and 3/4 inch and in between the fan and radiator I only have about an inch. I got a new low rpm fan and I bought some liquid for the radiator that supposedly drops temp by 20. I'm going to see if this works.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
lonetrader
1975 CJ5 

How about a pic or 2 of fan shroud and fan, front of jeep. Your custom shroud could be the problem. Remove it and compare your temps. Do you have an automatic trans? If it connects to the radiator that could be a partial problem. Hook your trans up to a cooler direct bypassing the radiator. I am thinking your shroud is the problem.
lonetrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You more than likely will need to put vents in the hood so the engine bay can 'dump' the hot air that is trapped with the larger engine.
How much room do you have in front of the rad for a 'pusher' fan?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj-5 , overheating , problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.