Outboard CJ with Ranger hangars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Outboard CJ with Ranger hangars?

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Outboard CJ with Ranger hangars?

So I'm picking up a Chevy D44, and looking at outboarding options. I thought, why not just use Ford Ranger hangars? They're for 2.5" springs, meaning I could go to YJ springs easily, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Here's what I'm talking about.

The only concern I see is maybe the fixed side would be too big to fit on the CJ frame. But I think it might be easier to add a couple tabs for bolts a bit lower on the mount than custom fabbing my own mounts (not too handy with the fab work.)

Any thoughts?

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Had the same thought earlier today. it should work as long as it comes out the proper width. My only concern is getting them, they are usually riveted on and i just dont know if im that dedicated to the idea to cut out a total of 16 rivets.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
Had the same thought earlier today. it should work as long as it comes out the proper width. My only concern is getting them, they are usually riveted on and i just dont know if im that dedicated to the idea to cut out a total of 16 rivets.
They sell them online for about 100$ for the set I believe. Was looking back when I was working on my ranger.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Is that for a pair or all four? Because while im no master fabricator, id think i could build 4 for under $20 plus 4 hours of build time at $15/hr (paid in monopoly money). Im still at $80. I do like the idea, i just dont think id want to spend alot of money doing it. Although it would be cheaper than many kits out there.
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Is that for a pair or all four? Because while im no master fabricator, id think i could build 4 for under $20 plus 4 hours of build time at $15/hr (paid in monopoly money). Im still at $80. I do like the idea, i just dont think id want to spend alot of money doing it. Although it would be cheaper than many kits out there.
I don't have the tools to fabricate stuff like this, or the experience. I could have some tabs welded on pretty easily by a friend, but full-on fab wouldn't happen.

The fixed ends run 18$ a piece, the shackle ends run 14$ a piece, at Rock Auto. I think the biggest problem is the fixed end is quite tall at almost 4.5"
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Well thats not too bad then. About the size issue. maybe get a short peice of sq. tube the same width as the frame and bolt(welding might be better) it in the factory hanger location under the frame. That would give you the area for the new hangers bolt pattern.

Ill have to look into that. I just picked up a complete d44 from a ramcharger for $100 and need to do something with it.
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
attworth
1979 CJ7 

For anybody wondering, the CJ frame measures roughly 3.5" at the stock shackle end, and roughly 4.5" at the stock fixed end. I thing with a shackle reversal, the shackle end will have no problem fitting. And it'd be easy enough to weld some tabs on probably about 2" down from the top holes on the fixed end and drill a new hole. Then cut the extra off the fixed hanger. I'm thinking adding a plate on the other side of the frame and running bolts all the way through would be a good precaution as well.

Any more thoughts? Anybody know of a truck with fixed outboarded hangars that are shorter at all and accommodate 2.5" springs?

Edit:

here's what I mean.

I figure this should be strong enough. These are on all Rangers with various payload ratings, so I can't imagine they would fail.
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

How do you plan on mounting them to the frame? Bolts completely through the frame would require sleeves to keep from crushing the frame.
And would they set the springs at the right width? They are what they are. Custom fabbed ones could be made to the exact width that you need.

Interesting idea. They wouldn't be overkill, but I would think they would be strong enough.
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
How do you plan on mounting them to the frame? Bolts completely through the frame would require sleeves to keep from crushing the frame.
And would they set the springs at the right width? They are what they are. Custom fabbed ones could be made to the exact width that you need.

Interesting idea. They wouldn't be overkill, but I would think they would be strong enough.
Not real sure on the mounting really. Rangers have C frames. Hard part will be getting hardware inside the frame.
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Just had a thought, you could use the shackle end for both of them.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Just had a thought, you could use the shackle end for both of them.
Would that work? I mean I don't see why not, but it seems like they try to mount the fixed end a bit lower.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

You would need to make custom shackles that would work with the shackle hangers. Those use a completely different shackle setup than the Jeep does.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
You would need to make custom shackles that would work with the shackle hangers. Those use a completely different shackle setup than the Jeep does.
Yeah they're about 2" at the hangar, but still use 2.5" springs. So any Ranger shackle would work.
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by attworth View Post
Would that work? I mean I don't see why not, but it seems like they try to mount the fixed end a bit lower.
I guess it would depend on what your after. With mine I have a 6" waggy SUA setup but the front d44 I am going to use will really be best if left SOA so im thinking about lightening up the pack down to 3 or 4 leaves and moving the outboarded hangers up a bit to take about 3" off the SOA front. My rear setup can be adjusted to about 7.5" lift and if i add

6"(start)+
5.5"(soa)
=11.5" -
3" (small ranger hangers)
1"(leaf removal)
=7.5"

And my front and rear will be equal while my rear axle wont wrap up and my front will have good flex. Plus the 4-5" wheelbase stretch from the waggy springs. Ill have plenty of room for any tires my d44/9" could handle.

Sorry about that, thats my 3rd build plan in about 36 hours so yeah its an addiction for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.