out of gear going down hill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > out of gear going down hill

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
HAWK99

out of gear going down hill

got my cj5 '71 home today. going on a bumpy, downhill, it came out of 1st gear. what's up? also wiper motor works but wipers don't work. any help? think it is linkage, hard to replace?
also breaks don't work good, push to the floor and barely stop, i'm going to bleed them tomorrow, see if it help. linking oil, they said "it's a Jeep"!

Unread 02-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You might check your transmission mounting bolts and make sure they are all tight. Worn shift rail poppet springs will also allow the shift rails to move out of position. Also check to see if your overdrive or output shaft nut is tight. If it is loose, it could allow the transmission mainshaft to move back and forth. If these don't solve the problem then you are very likely in for a transmission rebuild.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
magicmudder

80cj's right. Check your trans mounting bolts first. If they broke or rattled loose over time, it could have let the transmission move foward enough so that when your in 1st, you're really not all the way in first so a good bump would easily knock it out of gear.
Unread 02-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
DIXIE

If it is anything like an 85 CJ-7... To fix your wipers lay your front glass down. When you do this you will see the wiper motor and the linkages. There should be two of them. One from the motor to the drivers side wiper and one from the driver side wiper to the passenger side wiper. They are somewhat of a pain to take off just because there is not a lot of working room. Once you get the linkages out and figure out what you need to replace check you local junkyard or jeep graveyard. If you can find them there it is much cheaper. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The tranny on the 71 CJ-5 with V-6 should be a Warner T-14A. The shift rails are contained in the shifter cover. In order to check the shifter poppet springs I believe the shifter cover must be removed. I suggested checking mounting bolts (trans to bell housing and transfer case to trans) because any relative movement or looseness between the two can contribute to the trans jumping out of gear plus these bolts are easy to get to so this should be the first place to check. The transfer case holds the transmission rear bearing in position so a loose tranfer case could allow the trans mainshaft to move fore and aft under different load conditions.

My brother had a 68 CJ-5 with the optional T-18A trans and it seems that trans and transfer case mounting bolts were always coming loose. We felt that the odd firing V-6 contributed to this.

As I mentioned, if these suggestions don't help then the trans probably has worn bearings and/or synchros and may need to be rebuilt.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.