Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #76
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
The Carb Shop in Ontario, CA?

SC
Yes, The old "Brad Urbans". They still do great work. Owned by the Vbrancic bros now. I have been using there Q-jets since the mid 80s. They are just around the corner from me, very helpful LOL

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #77
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Yes, The old "Brad Urbans". They still do great work. Owned by the Vbranic bros now. I have been using there Q-jets since the mid 80s. They are just around the corner from me, very helpful LOL

I just picked up a Holley 4160 600 cfm from them about a month or so ago. Stage II offroad build. Randy has been a huge help with me.

It was plug and play except dial in my idle mixture screws...edit: well...almost plug and play...I needed to tame my fuel pressure down with a regulator. All is good now...

Love to hear how the Q-Jet works out.

SC
carb-shop.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #78
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Looks like a double pump Holley? I am not familiar with Holley's at all, this was the first one I have had in a long time. It was not a double pump. Nice pic BTW, that prompted me to click your sig link, even better pics! outdoor/landscape photography sure beats the product and wedding photography LOL. Love the Flash on your site.

My Q-jet is going back to Randy tomorrow. After work today, I was going to work on the linkage and found the top gasket soaked and dripping, a very common problem with this carb, but curable and usually caught before it gets out the door. It could be the needle seat not correctly seated, but I'll let them handle it.

WSS
photo471.jpg  

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #79
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Nope it's not a double pumper. Double pumpers have two metering blocks and two accelerator pumps. Mine has one...

Thanks for the kind words on the Photo...I took that in my home made light box. The photography and magazine writing are a hobby, and definately do not pay the bills...

I hope you get that Q-Jet back soon. I was torn between the two when I bought the Holley, but Randy steered me in this direction becuase of my Performer intake and AMC 304...

SC
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #80
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
Nope it's not a double pumper. Double pumpers have two metering blocks and two accelerator pumps. Mine has one...

Thanks for the kind words on the Photo...I took that in my home made light box. The photography and magazine writing are a hobby, and definately do not pay the bills...

I hope you get that Q-Jet back soon. I was torn between the two when I bought the Holley, but Randy steered me in this direction becuase of my Performer intake and AMC 304...

SC
I hear you about paying the bills! My wife was full time travel photographer until 08. It was fun, got to see lots of places. Had the opportunity to dive all over the world. In 06 she had a dive accident that kept us out of the water for a year, "we" got pregnant and 08 hit. I think our son is even more fun.

I was up at the carb shop three times today. Weird stuff. The float would stick wide open every time I turned over the engine (fuel pump surging) and cause a absolute mess. They even ran it on their dyno again right there, worked great on thier engine. I figured out on the last try to hook up the fuel but not bolt it down and try to start it. When it started flooding, I picked it up and banged it down hard a few times until the float dropped, needle seated and went to normal with no fuel flowing out of the accel pump hole. Something is not right inside but they say it is normal for thier builds. I don't know what it's gonna do when I start bouncing off rocks......

WSS

Unread 04-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #81
lonetrader
1975 CJ5 

I think you will hear your speakers better if you mount them behind your head on the roll bar.
lonetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #82
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue73 View Post
That's the Rugged Ridge HD drag link and tie rod kit. So far so good. I haven't put them to a true test, but it drives well.
THANKS a bunch for the input! I moved the mounts like yours are and perfect. I have about half inch of travel left on both ends. I think it is more protected this way.

WSS

PS, didn't notice but you can see were the mount was and the rub marks on the diff cover. Moved quit a bit.
dscn9120.jpg  

Unread 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #83
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Soft top and First Aid kit!

Installed the soft top yesterday, this was the first time it had been installed to use/run. I had fit tested but never had everything tied in at once. Went good, the only thing I have not crossed yet is if the vertical flat aluminum bar that goes from the top rail to the latch striker mount will be necessary at any point. So far, I cannot see a good reason. Maybe the rear side window may flap more but we'll see. For now we will run without the windows all around. It's kinda like a safari top now. The rear "tension device" worked good. After it gets in the sun and flaps a bit, I can push it up further to take up slack. I may find it will be better to push it over center and bring it down to tighten as opposed to the way I have it now, either way it should work as hoped.

Also finished the First aid kit. The glove box is dedicated to it. Updated the minor surgery kit with new sutures and fresh Articane, also put in a bunch of different sizes of stre-strips, my first choice over sutures. Quick clot, bite kit and a CPR mask are new additions to what we used to carry. My theory is, if you have it, you won't need it. "luck favors the prepared"

WSS
dscn9121.jpg   dscn9122.jpg   dscn9126.jpg   dscn9125.jpg   dscn9127.jpg  

dscn9128.jpg   dscn9129.jpg   dscn9130.jpg   dscn9131.jpg  

Unread 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #84
WSS

1972 CJ5 

The Q-jet is on and running, not as good as I had hoped. Took it out for a street ride today and found a stall out at about three quarter throttle and a high idle that won't go away. Fortunantly, I live way too close to the carb shop and they said to bring it in and they would fine tune it. I'll get it in next week.
dscn9133.jpg   dscn9134.jpg  

Unread 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #85
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Working on the towbar set-up today. I managed to get the pins cut, tapered and drilled. The tongue was from the old towbar (shackle mounted), I cut carefully around the old welds with a 1/8" wheel on my hand grinder and then cut out some 1/4" plates to fit in the tongue to hold the actual bars. The bars will be 2x2x.120" tube and DOM crush sleeves at both ends. I opted for longer than needed 1/2" gr8 bolts so the shank is through the entire assembly. I'll cut off the extra thread length before final assembly.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

WSS
dscn9110.jpg   dscn9111.jpg   dscn9114.jpg   dscn9116.jpg  

Unread 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #86
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome Jeep!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #87
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks!

I managed to get a picture of the back up lights and how they work. There are two other lights in the pic, one is outside the door and is a LED (2 actually) about 700lums each and the overhead light is on the door opener, a standard 40w bulb. The B/U lights are fairly projector like and focused, so I am standing right in the light path.

Love em
photo479.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #88
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
Installed the soft top yesterday, this was the first time it had been installed to use/run. I had fit tested but never had everything tied in at once. Went good, the only thing I have not crossed yet is if the vertical flat aluminum bar that goes from the top rail to the latch striker mount will be necessary at any point. So far, I cannot see a good reason. Maybe the rear side window may flap more but we'll see. For now we will run without the windows all around. It's kinda like a safari top now. The rear "tension device" worked good. After it gets in the sun and flaps a bit, I can push it up further to take up slack. I may find it will be better to push it over center and bring it down to tighten as opposed to the way I have it now, either way it should work as hoped.

Also finished the First aid kit. The glove box is dedicated to it. Updated the minor surgery kit with new sutures and fresh Articane, also put in a bunch of different sizes of stre-strips, my first choice over sutures. Quick clot, bite kit and a CPR mask are new additions to what we used to carry. My theory is, if you have it, you won't need it. "luck favors the prepared"

WSS
Where do you get a suture kit? I've needed one on many occasions and still don't know where to find one.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #89
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Where do you get a suture kit? I've needed one on many occasions and still don't know where to find one.
Got the refresh kit here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rd-Suture-Ki...item257ac3e756

I've had the "minor surgery" kit for at least 15yrs, I think I got it from a Army Surplus store, it is basically a few sets of hemostats, a nice pair of scissors and a wound probe (for finding bullets).

Did a ebay search and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Sty...item3a7e3331c7

This kit does not have the comfort of lidocaine/articaine LOL

Unread 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #90
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS

Got the refresh kit here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rd-Suture-Ki...item257ac3e756

I've had the "minor surgery" kit for at least 15yrs, I think I got it from a Army Surplus store, it is basically a few sets of hemostats, a nice pair of scissors and a wound probe (for finding bullets).

Did a ebay search and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Sty...item3a7e3331c7

This kit does not have the comfort of lidocaine/articaine LOL
Thanks. All the sutures I've ever had to do I just used a. Needle and thread
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.