Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #61
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
Oh ya, got the BTF diff cover on, LEAK FREE! Fit good but still having a little rubbing were the SS mount is. Without the SS it would work fine. I have done the TRE flip already, so next is the hi-steer. Has anyone mounted the axle mount side of the SS on the outboard side of springs (see were my finger is pointing)? That would put the rubbing mount between the diff and U-bolts and probably solve the problem, as long as it does not make another problem.

I will definitely build another cover for the rear 44. Good job BTF!

WSS
Yes. I mounted my SS to the outboard side where you're pointing.

image-3741197161.jpg

OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #62
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue73 View Post
Yes. I mounted my SS to the outboard side where you're pointing.
Thanks! pics are worth a thousand words for sure. My set-up is really close to yours, could be the same SS. My thinking was that the draglink/knuckle/axle tube relationship is pretty much static with exception to the arc of the turn radius and the up and down would (or should) not get in the way, especially tucked down like yours is.

Looks like you have some larger than stock TREs and draglink tube, how do youlike that set-up?

Thanks again!

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #63
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS

Looks like you have some larger than stock TREs and draglink tube, how do youlike that set-up?

Thanks again!

WSS

That's the Rugged Ridge HD drag link and tie rod kit. So far so good. I haven't put them to a true test, but it drives well.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
chatham

all this work is well done and really looks fabulous, makes for a serious rig. I just wonder how much unnecessary weight have you added?
chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #65
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham View Post
I just wonder how much unnecessary weight have you added?
I figure about 250lbs, the weight of an average western American passenger. What do you think could have been made lighter/thinner or left off? I appreciate objectivity.

THX

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #66
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I figure about 250lbs, the weight of an average western American passenger. What do you think could have been made lighter/thinner or left off? I appreciate objectivity.

THX
For what its worth and only my two cents...

All the diamond plate should be left off & the front, especially the rear, fenders to me do not compliment the jeep at all. Don't get me wrong everything you have done is amazing work, but the jeep is starting to look like a frankenstien jeep with stuff bolted all over the place. I love function and finding ways to hide all the extra stuff so the jeep looks clean and simple.

Again, my two cents and opinion... In the end it's your jeep...

SC
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #67
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
For what its worth and only my two cents...

All the diamond plate should be left off & the front, especially the rear, fenders to me do not compliment the jeep at all. Don't get me wrong everything you have done is amazing work, but the jeep is starting to look like a frankenstien jeep with stuff bolted all over the place. I love function and finding ways to hide all the extra stuff so the jeep looks clean and simple.

Again, my two cents and opinion... In the end it's your jeep...

SC
I'm starting to see the trend on the diamond plate. Many are not fond of it. I don't like or dislike it. It is on for two reasons (maybe three), one is my wife likes it and two, the PO installed most of it. Third may be that the corners are crushed in and beat up so it may be decorative. I have not purchased any alum diamond plate, I did re-use a piece to protect the rear of the tub from the shovel/ax/jack mount. I do not really like the way the license plate mount came out. I may re-do that with 16ga CR, problem is more weight than aluminum.

When I put the tube fenders on, it will match better (and the side diamond plate is coming off). I realize there is very little Jeep left in it. The parts that are left are things like the dash and steering column, I'll change those too (tilt and gauges that work).

If I had purchased it as a close to stock or original, I would not be tearing into it as I am, actually I would not have purchased it, the deal was to get something we were not afraid to take out on the trails. I had a Scout that I became terrified to damage after a while. looked great at the park and in my garage, but stopped taking it out wheeling because the trim was to hard to find if I lost it, or.........so I sold it to a purist who promptly blew up the motor by running multi weight oil and not the 40w I had been running for years. Ya it was delicate and original. When I win the lotto or my ship comes in, I will have a few of those around again.

Thanks, I am thinking hard about the diamond plate now

Unread 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

WSS,

This was just my opinion...it seems you have a reason for the diamond plate and the direction of your build. Please don't let me take away from your plans as you have done some amazing work here with the electrical, lights, bumpers, roll cage etc...

...and I hear ya on the Scout...

All the best.

SC
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #69
tonkatrucksryan
2014 JK Wrangler 

WOW What an Amazing build!!!!!
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #70
lonetrader
1975 CJ5 

Fantastic work. I have a couple questions. What gas did you use when welding the roll bar and, crap. I forgot the other. I really like the idea of using the roll bar instead of bows. Do you have access holes in the center console so you can talk on the radio while driving without the lid being open. I think that could hurt a little on a bump or for a back seat passenger. You also might want to use amplified speakers for the radios (CB and Ham) due to outside noise. You turned that thing into a tank. All it needs now is a big f50 cal on the roof.
lonetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #71
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
WSS,

This was just my opinion...it seems you have a reason for the diamond plate and the direction of your build. Please don't let me take away from your plans as you have done some amazing work here with the electrical, lights, bumpers, roll cage etc...

...and I hear ya on the Scout...

All the best.

SC
Thanks, I just don't want to be that goofy guy running down the road like the trucks with the dog house built on the back of it LOL. I appreciate the feedback, you are not the only one to mention the diamond plate as a minus sign. Heck, it will give me another project to do when I run out of the current stuff. I may gripe and moan about it at home but I do like building it!

Cheers!
WSS

Unread 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #72
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Thanks, I just don't want to be that goofy guy running down the road like the trucks with the dog house built on the back of it LOL. I appreciate the feedback, you are not the only one to mention the diamond plate as a minus sign. Heck, it will give me another project to do when I run out of the current stuff. I may gripe and moan about it at home but I do like building it!

Cheers!
WSS
No worries there...I don't think you'll look like that...

I also have a 1972 and if you ever get rid of any of your dash knobs please let me know. I could use the wiper & Hazard knobs...

Hey, I did love the roll cage build and led rear lights very nice work!

SC
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #73
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetrader View Post
Fantastic work. I have a couple questions. What gas did you use when welding the roll bar and, crap. I forgot the other. I really like the idea of using the roll bar instead of bows. Do you have access holes in the center console so you can talk on the radio while driving without the lid being open. I think that could hurt a little on a bump or for a back seat passenger. You also might want to use amplified speakers for the radios (CB and Ham) due to outside noise. You turned that thing into a tank. All it needs now is a big f50 cal on the roof.
I used 75 argon and 25 co2 to do the welding. I do have a access "slot" for the mikes to fit out of when the lid is closed. I also put in two external speakers outside the console that are pretty loud and crisp. Here is a pic showing the slot, it is just above the CB mike connector. Second pic shows the two speakers. I gotta say, the Jeep is loud. It has jones bros glasspacks on it that are a bit annoying. The drone at street speeds is enough to rattle your head even with the exhaust out the back. The speakers are fine while idling and slow speeds but not while under throttle. I will probably change the glasspacks to some quite turbos or something.
dscn7738.jpg   dscn7722.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #74
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Today was supposed to be set aside for the tow bar but I got a call from the Carb Shop saying my Q-jet was ready! So I played with that for a while. Need to get a new filter bottom with a different "back spacing" the old one sits lower on the Q-jet than it did on the Holley. Starts up without throttle and in about half a crank of the motor. OK, that may be an exaggeration but it fires right away now. Still need to hook up the throttle cable and gear shift throttle cable too. It was built as a stage II due to the modified fuel curve. Had it set to run at 3000ft, we are at 900, but most places we will run will be 2000-4000ft, so it may be a percent or two lean at home but really don't drive it much around town. It also has some special pre-loaded seats for high angles. This is there recommended set-up for SBCs in jeeps.
photo467.jpg   photo468.jpg   photo469.jpg  

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #75
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

The Carb Shop in Ontario, CA?

SC

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.