Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #271
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Thank-you Gentlemen!

We had her out a week or so ago and she did well. I purchased a nitrogen reg and a 17cf bottle to tune the shocks and it does make a difference. Empty and she would tend to bounce up at spots it normally would not. The nitrogen at 175psi seems to keep the tension more consistent, less bouncy.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #272
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Did a few more things over the weekend, all in planning for a Northern Az trip. May do the north rim, Toroweap and Canyon De Chelly or head south to Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome area for the remainder of the trip.

Built the rack last weekend and painted it Wed. need to wait a bit for the paint to harden before putting it on for test.

Bought some DP/optically clear 40mil vinyl off ebay, same stuff used for soft top windows. I have enough to do the rear side and the rear cage. I started with the rear cage today. I think it will work. Used velcro and a few snaps on the bottoms to fasten/ It should work good. If it is not needed, I can fold it over to tuck under the safari top. We were having problems at low speeds with the fumes in the back seat and at high speeds the dust eddied and curled right off the back of the safari top into the cab. I took it for a road test and at 40mph, the draft was not nearly as bad. wind/road noise was less and the top was not inflated, it was still flat and loose-ish. I hope it works on the trail. An added bonus is rain will not run down the rear seat passengers back too.

Last detail this weekend was to add a Trasharoo on the back. Seems like a good idea. A CJ5 just has no "in cab" room for things like trash.

Unread 04-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #273
jsflanagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
Did a few more things over the weekend, all in planning for a Northern Az trip. May do the north rim, Toroweap and Canyon De Chelly or head south to Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome area for the remainder of the trip. Built the rack last weekend and painted it Wed. need to wait a bit for the paint to harden before putting it on for test. Bought some DP/optically clear 40mil vinyl off ebay, same stuff used for soft top windows. I have enough to do the rear side and the rear cage. I started with the rear cage today. I think it will work. Used velcro and a few snaps on the bottoms to fasten/ It should work good. If it is not needed, I can fold it over to tuck under the safari top. We were having problems at low speeds with the fumes in the back seat and at high speeds the dust eddied and curled right off the back of the safari top into the cab. I took it for a road test and at 40mph, the draft was not nearly as bad. wind/road noise was less and the top was not inflated, it was still flat and loose-ish. I hope it works on the trail. An added bonus is rain will not run down the rear seat passengers back too. Last detail this weekend was to add a Trasharoo on the back. Seems like a good idea. A CJ5 just has no "in cab" room for things like trash.
Call ahead on canyon de chelly, we were there March 31 and were told it was the last day private vehicles were allowed down in the canyon
jsflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #274
jsflanagan

Call ahead on canyon de chelly, were just there march 31st and were told it was the last day for private vehicles to go down in. Only tour vechicles allowed.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #275
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks for the heads up. I had heard you had to hire a guide at the visitor center or take one of the tours. I'll give a call. It's an extra 3hrs off course each way to get there, so far to the north east.

How was the trip? Worth the effort?

Unread 04-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #276
jsflanagan

The rule always has been that you needed to hire a guide, but you were able to do so with your own vechicle. We had too many people for my jeep so we hired a guide who took some in his suburban and the rest in my jeep. It was worth it but it was more of an exploration than a wheelin adventure. Lots of creek crossings but nothing too difficult. Fun but not challenging. We spent a little time in sedona , wish we would have had more time there.
Unread 04-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #277
jsflanagan

I would recommend spending the extra time in sedona/Jerome area .
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #278
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Ya, Sedona/Jerome is pretty awesome. We get out to the Grand Canyon and Sedona/Jerome at least once a year. We have 40 acres south of Valle east of the 64 that we play bug-out on. Our "compound" is lots of fun. Last year we spent some time in Sedona too, which is probably what we will do this year as well.

My wife and I have never been to the north rim, but have wanted to do it. Our 6yo wants to go too but it may be just too many hours in the seat. For us, it would be 9hrs to Fredonia, then 80 miles off road to Toroweap, camp a day or two, then 80 miles out, 5hrs to the next spot, either Chinle or head south for some Sedona fun, Same 5hrs. Lots of driving.

We may just do some overnight'ers in Sedona or Cottonwood to break our son into camping. If something went wrong on a north rim visit, it could mean days till you get back to pavement. Maybe next year.

Heres some pics from last year, awesome trip:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.