Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #211
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Great video, and very cool your family gets involved.

The exhaust sounds pleasantly quiet, the fan is louder! I will assume part of that is the position of the camera mic, but it's still way quieter than what I have.

Thanks for taking the time to post that, I think I will probably go the same way.

ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #212
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Great video, and very cool your family gets involved.

The exhaust sounds pleasantly quiet, the fan is louder! I will assume part of that is the position of the camera mic, but it's still way quieter than what I have.

Thanks for taking the time to post that, I think I will probably go the same way.
Ya, the fan is a bit loud, I just put a new (larger) flex fan on and it is loud, the trans makes some noise too in first gear. The mic is right against the windshield, so it does tend to grab the forward sounds.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #213
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
One problem I have just about every time we go is crushing the tank skid, it is just too thin and has no real structure. I have gotten good at pulling it and hammering out the dents for the next time. I drew a skid last week and cut it today. I had to split it in two pieces due to the SWAG finger brake only being 19" wide. Worked good though and when it is all finished the weld will not be exposed. I will use 1/2" angle iron on 14ga sheet to structure (OE was 16ga w/no structure). The angle will be placed on the bottom inverted to make a low drag skid surface, seven of these across the entire bottom surface of the skid plate. I hammered the ends of the angle flat-ish to make an easy transition from plate to angle for the offending rocks. I'll post more pics later as I finish the welding.

after hammering:

after grinding sides:

To follow up on the skid plate, it fits great and looks like it will work. I have not had a chance to scrape it up yet, so the verdict is still out.

Side by side comparison:

Boxing the sides with drain/clean out holes:

Painting and fitting:

Installed:

Unread 11-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #214
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Dual batteries.......

Got most of the stuff together for the dual batt set up.I still need to get a Optima 34/78 yellow to match my old one, those are really pricey.

Here are the general parts I'll use:

This is the battery tray:

I did the cutting out of 14ga on my table, the bending was done with an arbor press and a Swag finger brake, worked great. Nice tight bends.

The outboard/passenger side of the tray is hinged to allow the batt to be removed w/o having to lift all the way up past tray, it can be kinda slid out now. Both lids are held down with flanged 5/16" nuts and the bolt is welded on the bottom and Gr8, I may use wingnuts later if I find it is easier.

WSS

~~~The dxf drawing for the battery tray and skid plate are posted in the CJ drawing sticky thread~~~

Unread 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #215
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Not really Jeep related but turned out cool enough I though I would share it. Updated our '03 F550 to "look" like an '07 in the front. Cost just over $300 to do. Cheaper than a real '07 LOL

Original front:

stripped and prepped:

New glasses and teeth (or lips?):

Took about 4hrs just cruising and making one mistake after another.

Unread 11-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #216
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Nice facelift!

Really freshened it up

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #217
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post

Nice facelift!

Really freshened it up

Facelift, thats the word that escaped me!

Thanks.

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #218
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Happy thanksgiving!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did and gave thanks to our God for his Son, this awesome country and of course my Beautiful Wife and son.

OK, back on to the dual battery install. I managed to get a few hours in over the long weekend. Progress was slow due to the requirements of making a Hot Wheels testing facility in the backyard, complete with a working winch type lift and tunnels all over. Big fun to be five.

Finished up the jumper cable adaptor for the front, I like it! Should work good. The cables can still function as regular cables with the connector attached too.

I cut and welded the anderson mounts and fit eveything then painted it. After it was dry enough, I started the 2ga "wiring". I managed to get the bottom of the tray wired up, now to do the top with the batteries installed and make up the 24v welding yoke. Should be a go this week.

Cheers!
WSS

Jumper cable setup:

I pulled the 12 pos side from the winch solenoid in stud, this is a 1awg cable direct from battery:

Battery tray fit up:

tray ground stud, put one on each side for easy ground tie ins:

After paint, Lots of time here with the crimping and heat shrink tubing, sizing and so on:

Unread 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #219
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Dual battery set up nearing the finish.........

Well, got some more done today. I have all the 2awg,1awg and 4awg cable lugged, heat shrinked and ready to go. I started her up and was a little disappointed to find there is a voltage drop through the isolator. Normal pre-isolator voltage was 14.7, now it is 14.1, I think this means it is not truly solid state. I'll run it and see. The last few details will be the 24v yoke for welding and some ground wire shortening and tidying up the rest of the wire mess.

Cheers!
Tommy

Unread 12-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #220
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Finally buttoned up the dual battery project. A few things need to be changed after a couple of "scenario" tests. One is that the switch to activate the solenoid that brings on the spare battery is wired on the start battery side, meaning if it goes dead, i have no power to the switching solenoid. Double dead! Easy fix, just a hassle and a total lack of experience. The voltage is going to have to remain at 14.1 volts tops, instead of the 14.7v it was usually running at when charging. It's fine really. I did buy a custom made 12si, one wire, 100amp alternator that will be custom painted. It is an equipment/implement class of alternator and supposed to be super reliable. I found if I removed the spare batt from the stack, the charge was as normal, 14.7. Maybe I can go without the isolator? Anyone have any thoughts?

Here are some pics:

A pic of the gauges in their "all charged" and happy state:

The new jumper cable set up:

direct to lend power batt (this batt slips out easy for portable jumping):

Backside of front QC, showing were I picked up the big 12v, inside the winch:

The big cable wiring:

An overall:

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #221
SKT
1981 CJ7 

WSS,

As always, that's some top notch work and it looks great!

Thanks for taking the time to document your work and for all of the quality pictures too!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #222
Gigem1983
1975 CJ5 

I just flipped through all 15 pages.....totally amazing work!
Gigem1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #223
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Always something new and amazing keep it up.
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #224
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback.

I had a custom(ish) 100amp alternator made and just got it installed today. Did not get much past starting it and making sure it was charging. It is a 12si delco with a 10si front and a single wire output. It is a implement type that has a low rpm excite armature (or some such item). It does start charging as soon as the motor is running. Good I guess? It tops out at 13.7v so far, but the batts were not low to start with.
I'll give it some good testing this weekend I hope.

WSS

Unread 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #225
WSS

1972 CJ5 

After listening to some talk herein the CJ forum about alternator wire size, I decided to swap out my 8ga for some 4ga. It is a huge difference in size, should be able to handle the amps and for a fair amount of time. I intentionally ran down my batts, the start batt almost complete and the back up to about 1/2, enough to still start. I then watched and listened and did find the 8ga did get hot after about 15min., not hot enough to break it down but it "could" do so in a heavy winch situation I think. So the 4ga is on now, have not tested it yet.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.