Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #181
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Buttoned her up today. Made a few heat shields and brackets on the CNC cutter and then bent them up in my newish swag finger break. Nice tool. The valve covers are going to be a bit of a problem, leakers. I trued em up but they still seep pretty fast, I need to get some ss washers to fit between the rail and the hold down T's, this way I could crank a little more, hopefully that will do it. Other than that, it's a go. Set the timing at 12 degrees and never touched the carb, runs great! The new hi torque starter is quiet and smooth, starts her right up.

Cheers!

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #182
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's just sexxxxy!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #183
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I'm finishing up some last details. The usual motor swap problems, overheating. I should have it under control now. I just installed a larger diameter flex fan and a shorter spacer to bring the fan back to fit the shroud better. Should have everything ready for this weekend. It's cooled off a few degrees this week so far!

Also welded up my D44 cover from BTF. Made a Power Ranger Samurai emblem to weld on it. Should look cool when done. My Kid loves Power Rangers!

WSS

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #184
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Impressive as always great work.
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #185
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Are you going to run an electric fan for the radiator? Fan Shroud? Cause that motor driven fan won't cool that big motor, beleive me. I tried it before. I'd say toss that fan blade to the curb and get a single or dual electric fan for the radiator. Just my $.02
john.purser@4w2h.org
www.4WheeltoHeal.org

"Real Heroes don't wear capes, They wear Dog Tags!"

CHECK OUT 4 WHEEL TO HEAL

4 Wheel to Heal http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/...-heal-1338074/

Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...iller-1194117/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/boarderofsnow
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #186
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
are you going to run an electric fan for the radiator? Fan shroud? Cause that motor driven fan won't cool that big motor, beleive me. I tried it before. I'd say toss that fan blade to the curb and get a single or dual electric fan for the radiator. Just my $.02
+1
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #187
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

A fan shroud is a necessity.

Luis
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #188
WSS

1972 CJ5 

You guys are right in the zone. The last go around of fix-ups was due to over heating of sorts. The carb was boiling over and it was running 200-220 all the time. Since the new additions this month, it now runs at 180-185 on the street. I am headed to the trails this weekend to shake her down and see what the reality is. It does have a nice shroud, the problem was the old flex fan was both to far in and too small a diameter. Now when you open the hood and stand next to the fender, my lips flap if I don't hold them tight. LOL. Really, there is much more flow now that the fan/shroud relationship is correct. I put in a high flow/drilled out 180 degree thermostat and can now actually see on the guage the open and close of it, before it was always open, could never bring it down enough to cycle.

I'll post up what I find this weekend.

Cheers!
Tommy

Unread 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #189
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
All three of you are right in the zone. The last go around of fix-ups was due to over heating of sorts. The carb was boiling over and it was running 200-220 all the time. Since the new additions this month, it now runs at 180-185 on the street. I am headed to the trails this weekend to shake her down and see what the reality is. It does have a nice shroud, the problem was the old flex fan was both to far in and too small a diameter. Now when you open the hood and stand next to the fender, my lips flap if I don't hold them tight. LOL. Really, there is much more flow now that the fan/shroud relationship is correct. I put in a high flow/drilled out 180 degree thermostat and can now actually see on the guage the open and close of it, before it was always open, could never bring it down enough to cycle.

I'll post up what I find this weekend.

Cheers!
Tommy
Man that thing is as sexy as socks on a rooster!
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #190
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

It's great to see a CJ that gets everything it wants. Seems like mine only gets what it needs (just barely). You're doing a great job of illustrating what is possible with the right determination, thanks for sharing.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #191
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

That is a beautiful rig, WSS. And beautiful work as well.

My first car was a brown 1971 CJ5 - loaded up with diamond plate on the rockers and rear corners as well.

Oh, and I'm partial to your color as well...

Jeff
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #192
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys! i am happy to share the build. I have learned so much here, it is only fair. I love pics, they speak volumes.

NashvilleTJ, The color grows on you after a while. I would not change it know. When I do the tube fenders up front, the sliders/rocker diamond plate is going to be removed and eventually, I will get some steel corner guards for the rear, then lots of yellow!

Trail update:
Heating problem is much better, she ran 180 even idling and on the rough stuff. Stalling problem is now fixed. Steep, camber and bumpy stalls all gone. It runs sweet now. So this last round was worth the effort.

I did have two problems, first were those stinking valve covers. At one point, the driver side was leaking so bad, I was smoking non stop, had to pull the cover on the trail and "over do" the RTV silicone. Trail fixed, but I am not happy with it. It seems the covers are so thin and cheaply made that normal engine heat is enough to warp them. Lesson: I got what I paid for LOL

Second issue was the new rear BTF diff cover was grabbing the tank skid plate. It sounded like my gas cans were expanding and giving that little flex-pop sound. In fact it was grabbing it on extension and peeling it over. Easy fix with a prybar and 3lb hammer, but I did crunch the skid pretty good, so a new (thicker, better structured) skid is on my list of things to draw and cut.

Field valve cover fix:

Skid plate testing:

Pre crunch:

Nice trail:

Unread 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #193
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
It's great to see a CJ that gets everything it wants. Seems like mine only gets what it needs .
I love the way you put it. It's my favorite because it drives great,looks great,and gets wheeled on a regular basis.
Its a lot of work to keep up with all three.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #194
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Update,

Had it out last weekend, went to Calico Mountains and did Odessa canyon. Lots of family fun, My son is getting the hang of what to watch for when spotting. It's great!

We only had one problem and it was on a graded road of all things. I carry a two gallon Igloo water jug on the back rack and fill it with cold water for both drinking and just in case a radiator hose pops or something. Well, on the road we were heading down hill and it popped it's top and spilled the entire contents on my son and backseat like a waterfall. Gotta get a proper mount for that igloo.

A few pics from the trip:

Kind of odd but there is a little pavement LOL:

Then a picnic at the top:

Drying out on top after the water spill:

Unread 10-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #195
WSS

1972 CJ5 

One problem I have just about every time we go is crushing the tank skid, it is just too thin and has no real structure. I have gotten good at pulling it and hammering out the dents for the next time. I drew a skid last week and cut it today. I had to split it in two pieces due to the SWAG finger brake only being 19" wide. Worked good though and when it is all finished the weld will not be exposed. I will use 1/2" angle iron on 14ga sheet to structure (OE was 16ga w/no structure). The angle will be placed on the bottom inverted to make a low drag skid surface, seven of these across the entire bottom surface of the skid plate. I hammered the ends of the angle flat-ish to make an easy transition from plate to angle for the offending rocks. I'll post more pics later as I finish the welding.

after hammering:

after grinding sides:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.