Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #136
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
Thank you! Can I assume they go as follows?:

1/4: Used to fasten the dash to the tub
10-32: Used to fasten your panel to the dash
8-32: Used to fasten the gauges to your panel
Very close! The gauge bezels are 3/16" thick and I used 3/16" long screws, so they are "just for looks" I tapped the holes 8-32 instead of using 1/8" rivets. The speedo uses 1/4-20 as well. I put washers behind everything so the screws would not messs up the paint and they look pretty good that way.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #137
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Very close! The gauge bezels are 3/16" thick and I used 3/16" long screws, so they are "just for looks" I tapped the holes 8-32 instead of using 1/8" rivets. The speedo uses 1/4-20 as well. I piut washers behind everything so the screws would not messs up the paint and they look pretty good that way.

WSS

Excellent! Thanks again!
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #138
WSS

1972 CJ5 

It's in!

Did bench work mostly today. Not as clean as stuff from guys like 12voltguy but it works, is fused and built tight. Should last for years. I have four of the ten switches working and will finish another four tomorrow. The last two (rock lights and aux fan) will be later down the road, but I did put a butt connector outside the harness to make connecting easy when I get to it.

The winch controls on the left of the panel (top and bottom) are red, the main is flashing and the I/O is momentary. I wanted the main flashing as a warning that it is active and cable could spool out or in. Not something I want while driving LOL.

WSS
dscn9402.jpg   dscn9404.jpg   dscn9409.jpg  

Unread 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #139
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
It's in!

Did bench work mostly today. Not as clean as stuff from guys like 12voltguy but it works, is fused and built tight. Should last for years. I have four of the ten switches working and will finish another four tomorrow. The last two (rock lights and aux fan) will be later down the road, but I did put a butt connector outside the harness to make connecting easy when I get to it.

The winch controls on the left of the panel (top and bottom) are red, the main is flashing and the I/O is momentary. I wanted thre main flashing as a warning that it is active and cable could spool out or in. Not something I want while driving LOL.

WSS
That's freakin awesome!
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #140
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
That's freakin awesome!
Thanks! Hey, did you get that super duty pitman arm figured out?

Love your rig BTW!

WSS

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #141
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS

Thanks! Hey, did you get that super duty pitman arm figured out?

Love your rig BTW!

WSS
Yes but no, I'm waiting on a new tie rod end since I tried to tighten it down too tight and stripped it (I'm an idiot but it only needed a little more till the cotter pin fit) while I had it apart I reamed the pitman arm a little more, then when the tre gets here it should be a bolt on affair.
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #142
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Yes but no, I'm waiting on a new tie rod end since I tried to tighten it down too tight and stripped it (I'm an idiot but it only needed a little more till the cotter pin fit) while I had it apart I reamed the pitman arm a little more, then when the tre gets here it should be a bolt on affair.

Admitting to "fault" is the first step to recovery. LOL

It's a CJ thing.

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #143
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS

Admitting to "fault" is the first step to recovery. LOL

It's a CJ thing.
I keep telling myself that..
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #144
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Switches are all done! winch works great, kinda un-nerving to have control and not see it. I'll have to come up with "buddy" signals for the driver from the rigger.

I put on some new mufflers today. Space was limited so I put the ones in the pics on. The po's glasspacks were too loud and yellow gets plenty of attention as it is. So these chambered mufflers are perfect, about midway between stock and the glasspacks. They are called turbo tube.

WSS
ebay11_002.jpg   ebay12_009.jpg  

Unread 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #145
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

GREAT work, fun build. Thanks and keep posting your ideas man!
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #146
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

This is the sweetest DIY custom dash I've seen. Looks killer! Great job!!!
matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #147
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys!

I had to replace my gas tank. On the first trip out, I found a cracked neck on top. During the build, I was only putting in a few gallons at a time. Well It leaked at least 3gls out over night, no bueno! I purchased a stockish tank from Morris along with a new sender and lock ring. I had to grind on the tank flanges to get it to fit like the old one but I suspect they are all like that. The tank was a short neck instead of the longer "crimped" neck. I was able to get much better flow by doing this and now it does not touch the frame, which I think was the cause of the crack. I was able to re-use all of the rubber hose and add two short exhaust ext (2.25") from oreillys. No more fumes in the cab and holds a full 15gls!

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #148
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Go-Slo Zero edition

Made up a video and camera holder for our CJ5. I used a 1.5" split shaft clamp to clamp around the 1.5" bars in the cage. I think it will work good.

I used some hand me down Bogen/Monfrotto parts from my wife's camera box. They are standard (around here anyway) so we have plenty of the mounts. It is strong enough to hold 20-30lbs for sure. The flat plate was #074 protofab tab.

It can be side or front mounted so it should prove to be fairly versatile.

Unread 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #149
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Many things done....Yah!

Did a pro-comp adda leeaf this weekend and gained back the 1.5" I lost when adding the rear bumper. Rides fine, no real difference yet, have not had it out in the rough yet.

Also put on a Rampage YJ safari top. Fit near perfect. The only "mod" I did was to nip the plastic (that fits under/in the head rail) on each end because the CJ rail was about a inch longer or a half inch each side, easy wth some snips and cut up about 3/8" to fit under the rail. The rest fit perfect, even the middle straps fit, the sides velcro was long enough to fit over the padding and 2" tube. The back may be about three inches too long but it may also give some added sun protection and stop the dust curls in the back. I like it alot, much quiter than the soft top, hardly any flapping. The denim look is a thumbs up too.

Unread 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #150
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Synthetic winch line conversion!

Got a deal on 100' red line, hook and fairlead from ScubaJeeper and everything fit great! The line has both a heat guard and rash gaurd. The heat guard fit perfect on the first layer of the drum. I chose the link hook so I could change out to a shackle pretty quick if needed. While I was doing the conversion, I built a hook holder to fit out on the stinger, glad i did cause the hook is massive! With the thimble, link and hook, I do not have enough room between the shackle on the bumper and the fairlead.

Man, is this stuff light. I spooled out the wire cable (100') into a bucket and then put the fairlead in with it for storage. The bucket must weigh 40lbs. The rope and fairlead maybe weigh 10lbs, probably less.

I did a lot of reading on synthetic line and found most failures are right out of the box on the first or second use and the suspect is the winch mount were the fairlead bolts up. The cut out might not be large enough and square edged, I double checked and opened mine up and radiused the edges with a die grinder before installing the fairlead.

Now I gotta go out and get stuck to see if it works LOL

WSS

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.