Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Our '72 CJ5 project "Karis"

Hello CJ friends! I have been lurking around for a while and decided to put together a "project" thread for our newest family member, a yellow CJ5 also known around here as "Karis". My 4yr old son named her and it kinda stuck.

Anyway the details are the PO (and two previous to him) spent an immense amount of money on her. Everything he did was well done. I am just taking her to the next level. Since 2008, the entire drive train has been redone. It sports two D44s w/ARBs, a SM-420 trans, D20 TC and a very healthy 350 SBC. Also had a disc conversion on the front. With the exception of the SBC (it has 27k on it) the drivetrain has less than 5k on it. The tires are still under warranty with less than 1k on them! It has on an On board air too, love it. Power steering works great. The front 44 was done by tri county gear and has all the right geometry to steer and track fairly nice.

These are the pics as we got her. I have done quite a bit so far. I'll post some pics of the work done next.

Please, give me some feedback, what you like or don't like. What you would do different or any suggestions if I am going down a bad path. I am new to Jeeps and look forward to the fun they offer. We previoiusly (during the '90s) had a '72 Scout II that we wheeled all over the southwest.

WSS
(Tommy)

dscn6349.jpg   dscn6291.jpg   dscn6315.jpg   dscn6333.jpg   dscn6322.jpg  

dscn6348.jpg  

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Things we have done......

We have big plans for her. But will take it slow and a section at a time. So far I have stripped the interior and bed lined it with a nice spray kit off of ebay and got a rear seat and 5pt harnesses all around, put in a JB fab twin stick that really tightened it up. Also notched the tub to make a little more leg room and dropped the pedals about three inches. Because of the conversions (trans,brakes and motor) the pedals were at a 82 degree level and this caused my knees to hit the steering column when going back and forth, now they are much more comfortable and can even have my heel on the floorboard when feathering the clutch, much more control too.

I borrowed a friends hossfeld Hyd bender a few weeks ago and have been having fun practicing for the roll cage. I built a set of rear fenders and some slider/steps this week. I have the cage drawn in autocad and the main hoops chalked on the floor and will bend the cage up this week. I will tie it in everywhere I can and tie the seats into the cage. I'll post pics as it progresses. I will be doing a TRE flip in the next couple of weeks too, I purchased the go-ferit inserts to do the job, what do you guys think of using 3/4" heims? I know they are not DOT but do they work better than a good quality TRE?

After the cage and TRE flip, I will be doing the dash and Tuffy console. I am going with a "rat rod"/ vintage aircraft kinda look. Regular toggles and protective hoops and LED indicators. The list goes on forever I am begining to understand. That's OK by me!
dscn6786.jpg   dscn6787.jpg   dscn6789.jpg   photo262.jpg  

Last edited by WSS; 12-27-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Merry Christmas!

I managed to get some stuff done this weekend AND I have three days this week to work on the Jeep. Saturday morning I had to finish cutting some 3" plate so I could make some room to work on the Jeep, it is parked next to the cutting table for now.

I am now finished with the 2" tube part of the roll cage project. It is all tacked and square. Next is to triangulate and put in the seat tie ins. I am also going to put in a dash bar and the inverted /\ on the A pillar. The outer stuff will be done with DOM and the seat and inner stuff will be HREW to save a bit.

Please comment if I am headed off left LOL

WSS
photo267.jpg   photo271.jpg   photo272.jpg   photo268.jpg  

Unread 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Nice 5! Really nice 5!
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
WSS

1972 CJ5 

JP78cj5, thanks! It is getting to be a super fun project. The bending has been challenging but fun.

Moving along a little quicker now! I have 5 sticks of 1.5" and 2 sticks of 2" so far in the cage and fenders. Now to work on the seat tie ins. Then the frame tie ins. After that it will be drivable!

WSS
dscn7086.jpg   dscn7087.jpg   dscn7090.jpg   dscn7092.jpg  

Unread 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

That is awesome love the rollcage.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

Just a heads up......
I have heard of instances where the CHP doesn't like the two vertical bars blocking vision thru the windshield.
No personal experience here.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

great work on the cage!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Thanks guys! On the CHP thing, technically it is "illegal". I will argue my point or take the ticket if I get pulled over. Safety out weighs the rules here. Even a suction cup mounted GPS on you windshield is illegal in the Republic of California. I did put 1"x .120" tube instead of 1.5" to balance the vision/safety issue. Thanks for the heads up.

WSS

Unread 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Here are some progress pics. I just put her away for a few weeks. Time to get back to work. It was an enjoyable week. Had the opportunity to spend at least eight hours a day on it for seven days! I will need to return the bender next week so all the bending is done. I will still need to weld up the cage and tie into the frame but I did pre-bend some 2" DOM to make it do-able w/o the bender. Then the dash! I have most of what is needed to tackle it. Just need to sit down and draw the dash in autocad and get some jpegs drawn up in photoshop for the switch legend. I will use waterslide decals for the legend, they print in color and stick really good to painted material and even bare aluminum.

Before I put her away, we took a few spins around the property to try out the new seating placement. Felt nice. One thing I will need to do is lower the gas pedal some more, it has my foot at a odd flexed angle that would get tired pretty quick on the trail.

Have a Happy New Year!

WSS
dscn7123.jpg   dscn7128.jpg   dscn7135.jpg   dscn7141.jpg   dscn7143.jpg  

dscn7145.jpg   dscn7146.jpg   dscn7147.jpg   dscn7148.jpg  

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

LOL he is loving the Monkey bars Dad LOL
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
LOL he is loving the Monkey bars Dad LOL
Ya, he has been all over that cage, a few head bumps too. I made sure to tack weld just a bit extra to handle the extra 40lbs of "swinging". At first, I thought he might be a little on the young side for the project, but he seems to be getting it. Can't wait to get it out in the dirt!

WSS

Unread 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Here are some pics of the work done over this weekend. The cage is now welded and ready for paint prep. I will paint the sliders and rear fenders too. I tied the cage into the A and C pillar. While doing the C pillar, I found some other problems like a ripped frame at the spring shackle mount. pulled the tank to avoid any fun flash fires LOL and re-did the bumper mounts and plated the frame with 5/16" plate in the area of the spring hangers. This should provide plenty of strength for the frame to cage tie in as well as re-enforce the hanger area with the added benefit of new bumper mounts. I did not take any pictures of the work done there, forgot too.

The seats needed to tilt forward to access the under seat storage, so I came up with a pull pin idea that should work pretty good, I tried to show it properly in the pics, it uses a 3/8" hitch pin to lock the seat down.

"Most" of the welds came out good, a few had larger gaps than I liked but the welds are strong just not as pretty as I had hoped for, that s what the paint is for right? If everyone shows up for work this week, it should allow me to get it painted and hopefully installed next weekend. I am shooting to have it ready in time to go see King of the Hammers, that event is only an hour and a half from us, it would be a shame to miss it!
dscn7363.jpg   dscn7396.jpg   dscn7398.jpg   dscn7395.jpg   dscn7392.jpg  

dscn7386.jpg   dscn7384.jpg   dscn7403.jpg   dscn7373.jpg   dscn7367.jpg  

Unread 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Forgot to show this detail, it is a push bar for the soft top, it pushes out the back of the top just like the aluminum bows did. It swivels on two 2" shaft clamps. When done, it will have the foam/sponge padding on the bar from the old bows. I fit the cage to literally squeeze under the top. No more bows! I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole on the side B pillar gussets to hold the sliding rack that the top velcros around above the doors. Works fine (so far!)

WSS
dscn7401.jpg  

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Got the cage, fenders, sliders and a bunch of other parts painted yesterday. Did semi-gloss black, looks good. I will wait a few days for it to set up nice and hard before handling it too much, probably put all the stuff in late this weekend.

WSS
photo298.jpg   photo296.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.