Original Chrome Wagon Wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Original Chrome Wagon Wheels

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
csymonds

Original Chrome Wagon Wheels

I am looking for a set of 4 original chrome wagon wheel rims from the early 80's, they seem hard to find without rust and in good shape, but seem expensive. What would be a good price for something in grets shape for those originals? I do not want to get after markets or get ripped off. Thanks.

csymonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Good question. The "look a likes" have the same number of triangles, but the edges of them are not rolled inward like the OEM rims. Also they lack the 5 small holes for the center caps. There are two widths of these wagon wheels as well, the early ones are 15 x 8 as they were used on the narrow track axles. LAter ones are 15 x 7. It's easy to tell as the wider ones have more of a step or extra space when looking at the face. Don't be affarid to purchase a set that is all clouded up. That is the factory clearcoat turning cloudy. Paint remover will reveal a new looking wheel. Yes rust is the problem. I would stay away from rusted ones if your looking for near show quality wheel as even when the rust is removed, it comes back quickly as there is no protection in that spot. I've read that getting them rechromed is not good due to the two piece construction not allowing the chrome to work in the fold at the front. Don't know. In this area, really nice wheels (with center caps) go for 50 bucks a piece. I've seen mint ones go for 125 a pop. Watch the center caps as they are a pot metal that doesn't have brown rust, but corrosion bubbles and pits.
Watch too your shipping cost and the packaging of the seller. I paid more in shipping once than the set of 5 cost me. Heres a pic of a 15x8 on an 81 CJ and a 15x7 with the clearcoat still good.

and the look a likes

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Last edited by only in a jeep cj; 11-01-2009 at 10:51 AM..
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
justjeeps

I saw a set of four in good condition go for $550 on ebay recently. They do get rather pricey for originals in good shape.
justjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The wheels I've pictured below are not OEM wheels, but they had rust and bad clearcoat, so I removed the rust and remains of clearcoat with 0000 steel wool, and then protected them with Eastwood Diamond Clear gloss from a rattle can. Two years later they look the same - shiny and the rust has not returned. I'm sure the same procedure would work with OEM wheels.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

When I bought my jeep two years ago it didn't have a spare tire. I looked around and couldn't find anything decent. I called Collins Bros and they sent me one for around $70. It's in great shape, better than the ones that came on the jeep. They might be worth calling.
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfitz99 View Post
When I bought my jeep two years ago it didn't have a spare tire. I looked around and couldn't find anything decent. I called Collins Bros and they sent me one for around $70. It's in great shape, better than the ones that came on the jeep. They might be worth calling.
Woa!! $70.00 each from Collins Brothers. That's a deal these days. I was just looking for some new cheap steel wheels for my JK and they wanted $89.99 each.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
Shasta69
1978 CJ7 

If your looking "close" to OEM, try Cragers at Summit.

Otherwise, I found a set of OEMs that looked pretty good over the weekend on CL. Try in the SW section of the country....

Much Luck!
Shasta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Wow I had no idea the factory chrome wheels were so pricey. I guess I'll hang to mine.
SparkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csymonds View Post
I am looking for a set of 4 original chrome wagon wheel rims from the early 80's, they seem hard to find without rust and in good shape, but seem expensive. What would be a good price for something in grets shape for those originals? I do not want to get after markets or get ripped off. Thanks.
Place a thread in JF's Wanted forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyB View Post
Wow I had no idea the factory chrome wheels were so pricey. I guess I'll hang to mine.
I don't think they are, really. Don't let eBay or Collins Brothers fool you. There will always be people out there that will throw off the curve. IIRC, the last set I sold in pretty decent shape was to a co-worker for $100 without caps (this was someone I know, though). I think $50 a wheel is pretty fair for selling them to the general public if they are nice. Shipping obviously drives the cost up when dealing with steel wheels, though.

I don't have any more myself, but there's a local guy that has a bunch of varying condition. I'll check with him.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

I have these if you have interest. The centers are in very nice shape all of them. The rims are in good shape too, somone told me they have been painted bacause the pinstrip is gone. I do not know. They are a nice set of Jeep Rims.

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
ajstewart
1985 CJ7 

check out my build page if u want a set...ill take a trade for some nice black rims
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
polarfire

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a set of the same OEM 15x8" chrome wheels. I called Collins Brothers and they now want $135 per wheel in uncleaned condition!! I'm working on a resto-mod and need the OEM ones, the aftermarket ones won't cut it. Anyone have and suggestions?
polarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
idl
1984 CJ7 

I got my set of 5 w/center caps from ebay for 500 shipped. Seems kind of expensive considering the other posts in this thread, but they are in great condition (only 1 is a little cloudy). I don't regret the purchase b/c I have wanted them since I got my CJ, and I really like the original look. Search ebay and CL, good luck. Took me a while to find a set that was not rusty.

I just noticed you want the 15X8, unfortunately these are harder to find. I sometimes see them being sold as a single rim on ebay. Don't believe I have ever seen a full set for sale. MIne are 15X7.
idl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarfire View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a set of the same OEM 15x8" chrome wheels. I called Collins Brothers and they now want $135 per wheel in uncleaned condition!! I'm working on a resto-mod and need the OEM ones, the aftermarket ones won't cut it. Anyone have and suggestions?
Check all the threads listed at the bottom of this one for leads and get started with creating a thread in the Wanted Forum.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.