Opportunity to get the MSD digital Cheaper than the analog - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opportunity to get the MSD digital Cheaper than the analog

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Opportunity to get the MSD digital Cheaper than the analog

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy either the MSD 6200 or the MSD 6201. The 6201 is $15 cheaper.

My thing is I already bought the other stuff I need to upgrade the ignition on my 83 Cj5 258 with the 6200 in mind. Are all the connections the same with both these Versions?

Also, i hear the MSd digital has adjustments that can be made, which scares me.

Is it not a plug and go with the digital? Will it need adjustment out of box?

Also, I have no onboard computer, mine fried and was removed, the digital does not require it does it?

Thanks guys.

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Depends on the site you think you found it on. Many say in stock until you try to buy it. The 6a also has a tach output I don't believe the 6 has. See if you can actually buy it.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I have two people willing to sell, they are both new. I would be able to buy either one.

kov
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
LimeLite
1978 CJ5 

Something you might want to consider...I sent my 6200 in to be repaired last year and it was sent back with a note saying either the parts were no longer available, or it wasn't feasible to repair it.

Ex-Member of offroad nuts
LimeLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLite View Post
Something you might want to consider...I sent my 6200 in to be repaired last year and it was sent back with a note saying either the parts were no longer available, or it wasn't feasible to repair it.
MSD has stopped producing the analog 6200, and replaced it with the digital 6201.

I put a 6201 on mine in January. It did not require any adjustments out of the box. No computer necessary, it's a standalone unit.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Thank guys, and it has all the same connects and wires, only difference is its out one side?

kov
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
Thank guys, and it has all the same connects and wires, only difference is its out one side?

kov
yup.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Thanks for the fast responses guys, had to make a decision fast didn't want anyone to jump on it. I got the MSD digital new in box for $160 free shipping on ebay

kov
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Here's where I mounted mine.

I made a small bracket from aluminum.

The wiring all comes out the left side.

Only 7 wires to hook up

Here's the distributor adapter.

And a new coil adapter from Napa for a clean install.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Awesome pics man this will help me a lot. One question, on the diagram, what is the thing in the top right where the little red wire is going to?

kov
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Awesome pics man this will help me a lot. One question, on the diagram, what is the thing in the top right where the little red wire is going to?

kov
You mean the top left? That's the stock coil connector. If you don't have a stock coil, just connect the little red wire to the wire that went to the coil (+).
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yes top left sorry, so the red would go with the orange together on the positive?

kov
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have the digital 6AL version also and you just need to dial in for how many cylinders your engine is and adjust the rev limiter if it comes with one.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I don't think the 6201 has the rev limiter. And crap there is an adjustment that has to be made? Thanks for the warning.

Also, about that little red wire I bought this connector, I thought the little red wire hooks to this and this plugs into my harness somewhere.

kov
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I don't think the 6201 has the rev limiter. And crap there is an adjustment that has to be made? Thanks for the warning.
The only "adjustment" for the 6A has to do with the tach output. There are two short wire loops on the connector; for the tach output to be correct for a 6 cyl, you clip one of the loops, for a 4 cyl you clip both.

Quote:
Yes top left sorry, so the red would go with the orange together on the positive?
No. The new coil wiring should have only one wire going to each terminal on the coil, the orange to (+) and the black to (-). The little red wire needs to go to a 12V+ that is hot during crank and run. The old coil (+) wire is an easy source for that. I seem to remember the MSD coming with a spade connector on the little red wire that you can just slide into the old coil connector, but I cut and spliced mine for a more reliable connection.

Quote:
Also, about that little red wire I bought this connector, I thought the little red wire hooks to this and this plugs into my harness somewhere.
That is correct. The big black connector you bought will plug in to the power connector for your original ignition module on the inner drivers fender. You can run the little red wire to that and you should be all set

Did you also get the adapter to connect the MSD to the distributor? MSD p/n 8869. It's shown in the 4th photo in post 9.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.