Opinions wanted: Gloss Black, Flat Black or Chrome? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions wanted: Gloss Black, Flat Black or Chrome?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Opinions wanted: Gloss Black, Flat Black or Chrome?

I am a fan of 3" twin-tube bumpers on both ends and nerf bars (single-tube, of course). I have always thought the old CJ were like Harleys in that its hard to add too much chrome. But the somewhat subtle colors on my Jeep might work better with Black.

Here is a link to a pic (I think it was too big to attach last time I tried)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...083814_999.jpg

It doesn't show in that pic but it already has a Laredo grill cover. It started life as a Laredo.

The wheels will be either be replaced with aluminum or painted/coated to to match the body paint or the top. I am currently trying to talk my brother out of a set of those hard-to-find renegade slotted wheels.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

CJKevin1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

I'm a fan of the saying "Chrome wont get you home". Its your Jeep, in the end you will have to live with what you decide on, so make sure YOU like it! That being said, I would probably go with the gloss black. Nice looking Jeep you have!
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

my vote is subtle..... flat black with a few chrome accents make it look like you pay attention to detail without being flashy.... Just an opinion
Or you can just go balls to the walls
chrome-cj-7-l.jpg  
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Artiemac
1979 CJ5 

I would go with gloss black. I used to like chrome wheels on a jeep (or truck for that matter), but now I prefer black. Anyway, good lookin' jeep.
Artiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Chrome OEM wheels and center caps. Gloss black rocker trim, then I think chrome nerf bars +/- bumpers would look OK. Try the wheels and rocker trim first, then see what you think!

I've got black bumpers and just pulled my trim off to paint gloss black. Waiting on chrome wheels, and at some point I'll have aluminum full-length side steps to put on. A good mix of black and chrome looks best, in my opinion.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Here is the picture that I was originally looking for:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2014.46.27.jpg
Its a strange color, in some light it looks completely grey other times is looks somewhat green. I have done some more searching and decided that painted will likely be the immediate answer. Not that I have turned against chrome but I have some welding skills and access to an old stick welder.
CJKevin1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.