Opinions on these 2? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions on these 2?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions on these 2?

Hello CJ crowd!

My step-dad and I occasionally look around the state for parts and vehicles we could grab and resell. We don't find much besides a spankin deal on a built 44 that fell through, but he has found 2 CJ-7's local on Craigslist that he wanted my opinion on. They both appear a little worse for wear but we'd like to take them, clean them up, and send them off, replacing any broken or worn out parts. We don't want to deal with engine or tranny rebuilds or replacing cases or new paint. Just maintenance and minor repairs. For a little background, I have an '04 TJ, he has a '92(?) YJ and used to own a CJ-5 Renegade.

Anyways, here's what we have:

1985 CJ-7, $1500
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3581114846.html
It looks pretty rough but the price isn't terrible. We're pretty confident we could get $1200. I'm a little concerned with the waviness under the drivers door, whether it is an illusion or not. It also seems the engine may have some issues but does run. The top and 2 pairs of doors appear in good shape. Worst case it could be a part-out.

1981 CJ-7, $2500
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3555280265.html
This one concerns me a little more. I really question what the tacky diamond plate armor is covering. In the first pic, I can't tell if that is a rust spot above the rear fender in front of the armor. Looks like a similar spot that may have been filled on the other side. The paint also looks faded from the side, but it's hard to tell. Obviously the tacky 4x4 decals would have to come off. I feel like the price would need to come down significantly to make it worthwile, and the seller seems a bit of a jackhole.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I'd really enjoy getting one fixed up a little nicer and get it on the road but I just have to know if it is worthwhile. My step-dad was concerned that if I posted, somebody would try to snatch them up. I had to reassure him you guys weren't like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump?

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

That second one supposedly has a V6? Huh, that would be odd.

The first one probably has had some damage to it based on that waviness - it looks real.

Always remember, never pay more than what you can get for parts. The first one looks like you could part it out and recover your costs if you had to. The second one, well...
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
That second one supposedly has a V6? Huh, that would be odd.

The first one probably has had some damage to it based on that waviness - it looks real.

Always remember, never pay more than what you can get for parts. The first one looks like you could part it out and recover your costs if you had to. The second one, well...
Yea I noticed the "V6". Glad someone has matched my opinion.

Quote:
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

CJ 1 was T-Boned, and poorly repaired. It will rust through by August. And the Bondo will flake off on the way home.
CJ 2 has diamond plate slapped over rust. You'll be shot if you point this out or try to get the price down.
BOTH are nightmares.
If I understand your biz model, you find solid vehicles, spiff them up nice, do the scheduled/needed maintainence and flip 'em. Sounds like a good plan. IMHO, CJs are not conducive to this. Almost all that make sense on paper WILL have rust. While the drivetrains are very good, there are alot of parts that can go bad. Basically 2 trannys, 2 drive axles, etc...
Unless you want to buy 70%-90% completed, but abandonded (sp) projects and finish them...stay away. Usmade ually all the parts are there, rust fixed and drivetrain already re-furbed.Some assembly required. Keep in mind your buy in will be 5-9k and another 1-3k to finish. But you will make 3-5k on each unit.
Personally, the money to be made is in the XJs. I call them "Baby Grands, or box Jeeps. They have a solid driveline, tons of J-yard parts, easy to work on.
Sorta like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHERO...item35c3da3662
Good luck. And remember this is just 1 clowns opinion that's been around jeeps 4-evah, and sold them in the '80s.
Edit: when my brother sold jeeps in the '90s, he bought abuot 5 ratty trade in XJs/year at wholesale, did what you did, and made a killing!
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

buy the Jeeps,

get them running good, give them a good wash job and a couple coats of wax.

sell in the spring:
if they have tops, take them off
wait until its a beautiful warm spring day

young men are not out looking for love, they are out looking for old jeeps that run good and have no top.

the jeeps should sell like hot cakes.

Good luck, there is always a market for an old jeep in the spring
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I can agree w/wellmax. Maybe rattle can 'em flat black if the paint is shot?
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

How about a '73 Commando? Has a V8 that supposedly runs great. I think if we got this, we'd be keeping it for ourselves. Just too cool. Obviously in rough shape but since it has no title it'd be a trail only rig anyways. I figure if we got it for $800 that would be a sweet deal.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3588823482.html

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.