Opinions on Rough Country lift kits? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions on Rough Country lift kits?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I didn't mind the rough ride, and about 5 of us went through hell with some crappy springs that they shipped out. (the thread is here somewhere) I was very satisfied with the customer service, because they responded lightning quick to fix the problems. I had two springs that were "modified" before they were sent to me, and one was unusable. They sent a replacement spring and I installed the kit and have been ok with it for quite some time, however I wish I would have had them send a replacement for both of the springs (I thought one was acceptable even though it had been bent) I installed them and have used it quite a bit, now the other spring sags by about an inch and it is annoying as heck. Just my .02

Tom

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
jaxfljeep
1980 CJ7 

I am happy with my RC 4" kit. It is stiff, but I'm not trying to drive a Cadillac or BMW. I installed about a year ago, and no sag whatsoever. Installation went very easily, and I would buy them again.
jaxfljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
cjnoob97
1980 CJ5 

I just bought a 1980 cj5 and i want to get a 4in suspention lift. Should i not get the rough country 4in kit? Is it really that bad? This will be a daily driver.
BUT. I don't want to blow my budget.
What would you recomend.
cjnoob97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnoob97 View Post
I just bought a 1980 cj5 and i want to get a 4in suspention lift. Should i not get the rough country 4in kit? Is it really that bad? This will be a daily driver.
What would you recomend.
Everybody likes to give RC a bad rap and then gloat on the Rubicon Express, OME, BDS, etc. which to me is like comparing an F150 to a Porsche Cayenne. I have the 4" RC kit on my 79 CJ7 and I'm not one bit intimidated by the guys with the fancier lifts - more power to them. In my opinion it comes down to this... it rides like a lifted 34 year old Jeep because it is a lifted 34 year old Jeep.

I'm 52 and I broke my back several years ago and I'm disabled to this day so I was sort of cautious when I was shopping around for a lift. I have no problem riding around in my CJ on my RC lift. Would I take it out to spend 12 hours straight really wheeling it? No. But in all honesty, I couldn't do that in the newest of new JK. I subscribe to the creedo of "you get what you pay for"......and that really applies to stuff like lasik eye surgery, a quality hunting rifle, a diamond engagement ring, etc. An old saying comes to mind...good tattoo's ain't cheap - and cheap tattoo's ain't good.

You don't mention what your budget is exactly, but in your case we're talking about a 33+ year old Jeep that was never made to ride like a Caddy. In my case, I'll never wheel like some of the guys on here do because of my spine...but I do live in the high country of Colorado where we have winter and July... and she see's some pretty good trails to get back into some remote fly fishing spots I like.

I'll end it on this note, and again this is just my opinion. If I had the money to own a $45K+ 2013 Jeep XX that I was going to put highway miles on + 5 hours to get down to the Lake City/Telluride/Black Bear Pass areas only to wheel it really hard, and then expect it to bring me back home - then I suppose dropping $3K on a lift kit might make sense. CJ's are a labor of love (cuz you better love to labor on them) and it just doesn't make sense to me to invest a quarter to a third of it's value in just the lift.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #20
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnoob97 View Post
What would you recomend.
I'm the OP and frankly forgot I started this thread. I came full circle on RC lifts. I convinced myself I wanted a BDS over a year ago, researched everything, read the reviews, found several distributors and made the call to buy a kit. Both local distributors pushed me towards RC, which I thought was odd considering their mark-up on BDS was more. The bottom line was they sell more RC than anything else. Sure it gets some complaints, but that comes with higher customer volume and you always hear from the negative guys and not the positive. The price was less than half with the same warranty. The distributor said the quality control had improved, so I gave it a shot.

I've had the 4" RC lift on my CJ7 for almost a year and like it fine. I did tweak the front springs by removing the bottom leaf. they were too tall (~1" taller than the rear) and very stiff, as some have commented. I researched that modification as well, and I found many others have found the need to do that with other brands, including BDS. I had tweaked the location of my rear spring hangers when I replaced them with M.O.R.E., so that could have something to do with it too. Now she rides true, nice firmness on the road, but flexes much better. As Wayne and others have pointed out, it's a 35 year-old short wheel-base light off-road vehicle. It won't ride like a Caddy, but mine is pretty comfortable, even over railroad tracks.

A CJ5 will be an even worse ride due to the shorter wheel-base. Ultimately it's your call on piece of mind when you purchase, but keep in mind there isn't a ton of technology in these lift kits and many of the components are made in the same factory.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
rixter
1981 CJ7 

I agree

4" rc as well on my cj7, and hate it. I regret buying it, and drivers side is sagging with on 500 miles since intall. Wish I went a different route.
rixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
RoytheBoy

I have a 2.5 inch RC lift on my '86 CJ , and it is rough, especially with the state of the roads in NYC. First chance I get I'm going to swap it out for the YJ spring conversion with OME springs. I've seen on the forum someone describe the difference between the two springs as "profound" plus, as my lady pointed out to me the other day, "its OK for you, you have a steering wheel to hang on to!"
RoytheBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixter
4" rc as well on my cj7, and hate it. I regret buying it, and drivers side is sagging with on 500 miles since intall. Wish I went a different route.
Hate to say it but that is probably the Jeep lean and not the springs. I've actually been pretty happy with my 4in RC. Much better ride after I removed the bottom leaf in the front springs. Actually articulates pretty well for a budget lift.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.