Opinions please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
dodgethejeep

Opinions please

For the past 9 yrs off and on my family has had several different wranglers. We will be moving to FT Jackson SC this fall. It will be time to get another Jeep in the family when we get there. I have been looking at some CJ's, wranglers and a couple old army jeeps. Which would you all recommend? Jeep will be used for going to work and some fishing trips. I do some trail riding but haven't in a while. I like the army jeep idea cause I work on post but do not know much about them. I do know the old go devil engines weren't known for speed. I really love military crap hence the M38 questions, and CJ's just look great when they are taken care of. PRO's and CON's? INFO I rarely haul troops but do have my own gear. Need to be able to do highway. I AM NOT looking to chop something up, but would upgrade parts if I had to.

Unread 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

You get a CJ 6,7 or 8 it'll probably never leave the family again........ (I'm personally not a huge fan of 5's, just because I think you have more options/easier options to making 6,7,8 fit your life).... of course, that's a personal opinion. I don't want to get jumped on here =)
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
dodgethejeep

I like the CJ8's and wrangler LJ but they are a bit out of the predicted price range. I hate financing anything. I would get a small loan to cover the rest on a nice jeep but don't like the idea. CJ7 is bout the same size as a wrangler so I know how well that would work for us. just trying to decide if I want something smaller or not. M38, CJ2/3 and the 5 are all pretty small. How are they as far as maintenance goes? What about parts availability? I like simple. All jeeps are capable enough off road within their limitations.
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You came to a CJ forum, so I think you know where our hearts are. If you do get involved with CJs, understand that there are easier models to take care of, and understand that none of them are younger than almost 30 years old. That means fixing stuff and sometimes even frustration. It's all worth it of course!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
dodgethejeep

Not meaning to be rude. I came to the CJ forum because you folks know more than I about these old rigs. I have enough experience with wranglers to know what I would want from that line. I am not afraid to do my own work and will admit if I'm in over my head. Love the look of the CJ's just lack the knowledge. I can read all the forum posts and magazine articles I want but it doesn't give me personal feed back of the sort I'm looking for. I appear to be the only jeep nut at my current location. Quadratec and other sites carry plenty of parts for CJs. I guess I'm asking how different is it to own a CJ vs a wrangler?
Unread 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

As far as differences between owning a CJ vs. Wrangler..... The CJ will be more maintenance intensive. Age takes its toll on us all. The CJ will not be as comfortable. They ride rougher and have less interior space and sound deadening. Many of the answers you're looking for really depend on the individual Jeep in question. Some have been meticulously maintained and are a worry free ride. Others have been neglected and are the new owner's worst nightmare.
As stated earlier, the CJ5 doesn't have much room for family or gear. That said, I still love my 5. Mine was very well taken care of by the PO. 6s, 7s, and 8s all have more room and ride better due to the longer wheel base.
If you don't mind getting into a rolling project (best definition of a CJ), they are very easy to work on and most parts are readily available. There are some parts that are getting hard to find, though. (quality fuel gauges, for example)
If the "cool factor" is important to you, a CJ can't be beat. Mine turns heads everywhere I go. Drives the guys with their $50k JKs nuts!
Hope I've at least touched on some of the answers you're looking for.
Unread 05-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
dodgethejeep

Yep pretty much. Wasn't really bout the cool factor as much as simplicity. Didn't know bout the gauges thing. My wife has a JKU and we were talking bout a trailer so cargo for camping isn't a concern. Mainly just want a classic vehicle to drive to work. Something simple and easy to work on. I like being able to leave doors and top off in good weather. I have driven 1 beat up cj7 and owned a tj, yj and jku. so I'm just wanting something to enjoy not beat. I understand how wheel base effects ride quality along with suspension set up. Thanks for all your input. Gotta work in a bit so gonna rack out. hope some more folk chime in with their ideas.
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Find the nicest 95 YJ you can and put CJ front sheet metal and dash on it. A/C, FI, a galvanized body. Whats not to love. Paint that puppy Korean era OD and add some hood numbers. Boom! Coolest guy on post, and to your kids if you use their birthdays for the reg. numbers.
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

CJ 7 is the way to go. Of course as one already said, you asked for an opinion in the CJ sub forum. The grill and the dash of the CJ is what makes me happy, not to mention the openness of it on a summer day. Good luck, and start looking.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

The nice thing about CJ is, that they are easy to work on, parts are generally available, and not to expensive, some stuff is actually pretty cheap compared to newer models. If you pay attention, and fix what is broke and maintain the rest they are just as dependable as the next vehicle. My CJ actually drives and rides pretty darn good. But I paid particular attention to making sure all bushings, joints steering bearings were in top condition.
I'd go for a CJ7/8 made after '83 to get the wide track axles (one major area I want to change on mine). I'd avoid a 3 spd trans, non synchronized 1st that is almost a high as 2nd in a 4spd is annoying. The YJ/CJ conversion is a good idea too. Also if you convert a YJ, dont forget to convert to CJ quick take down knob/screws on the windshield, you might think you wont lower it, but it is enjoyable to do every so often.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

IMO Geo Tracker far superior to any Jeep. xD :P

But seriously....

The one thing to worry about is what you mean by highway speeds. That means a lot of things to a lot of people. My buddy has his CJ7 set up exactly like mine and he rides it 80MPH on the highway every day to work. NO WAY WOULD I RIDE MINE ABOVE 50!!!!

Personally, if I was going to do highway...it would be a YJ or TJ. I have another buddy with a CJ8 and its not too bad for short jaunts at 60mph on the highway but it still is a little squirrely for me with a 2.5" lift.

The thing is...my Jeep can do 60 no problem...but what happens if I need to pull an emergency maneuver or lock up the brakes? Similarly I think anyone can ride a motorcycle in a straight line...its being able to handle it when things get hairy that counts. I'll probably get flamed for this and hear a million "my CJ is amazing on the highway." Well good for you! I'll just be puttering along on the backroads.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #12
dodgethejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjerryp7m8 View Post
Find the nicest 95 YJ you can and put CJ front sheet metal and dash on it. A/C, FI, a galvanized body. Whats not to love. Paint that puppy Korean era OD and add some hood numbers. Boom! Coolest guy on post, and to your kids if you use their birthdays for the reg. numbers.
If I was going to buy another yj I would just leave it a yj. I always thought painting a jeep up like a mil spec was kinda lame. I would rather have a M38A1 if I was going to do that. I work with enough military equipment to understand the comfort that comes with a civilian model. I do like the old army jeeps but its not the only thing I'm looking at. A nice cj would be great but it honestly going to boil down to what's the best condition jeep I can get for a good price. Guess I can always buy a restoration project later.
As far as highway speeds I was talking bout going the speed limit. maybe a little more power for passing if I have to.
Unread 05-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #13
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

An early 80s CJ7 with the 258 may be a good fit. They are not terribly gas guzzling but good off road and can cruise highway speeds. There is space for your gear and they are the last of the breed.

The slightly earlier V8s have a bit more power.

Always buy on condition, they tend to rust so that is the first thing I look for.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a CJ3B and currently own a CJ7 and YJ. The 3B is not fun to drive long distances and if you're tall or have long legs not fun to drive short distances. The YJ has better wipers and fuel injection. But the CJ7 is my favorite. It is just fun to drive.
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
CSP

Maintenance required is all going to depend on what kind of condition you purchase.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.