Opinions on Dana 30 Lim-slip Locker for CJ5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions on Dana 30 Lim-slip Locker for CJ5?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Opinions on Dana 30 Lim-slip Locker for CJ5?

I have a Dana 30 front with lockable hubs. I have a rear electric locker and I don't miss spinning wheels and trying to power through obstacles throwing crap everywhere.

I want to add the same benefits to the front end now. I don't think I need to buy another selectable locker since I have hubs and can unlock completely on pavement.

Here's what I'm looking for: I want to be able to replace my open front diff and run with hubs locked, in or out of 4x4 on a dirt road (between the tougher terrain that would truly require the locker's benefits)- and not have a ton of banging and noise or steering issues. I want to know what the least necessary device is (by that I mean I don't want to overbuy hardware) and still have the best traction addition and least resulting drive-ability issues from the change.

I do some muddy hill climbs, in and out of steep stream banks, and the transition between most of that stuff is dirt roads. I drive cautiously, have a T-18 (granny 1st), 31's, 3.73.

Ok, hopefully that's enough information for someone to offer an opinion based on driving style and conditions. I appreciate the opinions.

Don't tell me to weld the spiders.

johnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I knew a guy who had a Dana Power-Lok limited slip in his D30 and loved it. The Power Lok has 4 spider gears so you probably won't be breaking spiders but maybe axles or ring and pinion depending on how heavy your right foot is, of course..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

X2 on Power-Lok!
Nut wrong with a DL in a 30 either.
LG
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Selectable is a bit more expensive, but that's what I'd choose (try to catch them on sale or look for a good used unit if budget is critical). Something like a Detroit Locker will certainly make some noise. The quieter limited slip options will lose at least some potential traction. Whatever you choose, I'd recommend upgraded shafts (30 spline alloy can be comparable to a Dana 44).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Todays DL's are pretty quite.
If you don't drive stupid, the OEM front axle shafts will work just fine.
LG
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Todays DL's are pretty quite.
If you don't drive stupid, the OEM front axle shafts will work just fine.
LG
Have you had your hearing checked lately? Detroit "Soft" Locker is anything but quiet. My neighbor stopped me the other day to ask why my Jeep always makes the "clack, clack, clack noise" as I turn into my driveway. If he can hear it from a couple hundred feet away, it can't be my imagination. Granted, they are a little quieter than they were 20 years ago, but they still make plenty of noise. Some people don't care about the noise (me), or perhaps can't hear it (?), but the OP stated that it's a concern. To suggest that a Detroit Locker is quiet, really is doing a disservice to the person asking for advice.
Also, I resent the insinuation that anyone who has broken an axle shaft must " drive stupid". It's a well known fact that traction adding devices will increase strain to the entire drive train. The short shaft on the offset Dana 30 is particularly vulnerable to breakage due to torsional stress.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Really, back it down son.......
The clicking in the DL you hear in a turn is 110% normal as the ratchets over ride each other. It really ain't that loud. Dang, it's a JEEP
As far as my hearing goes, first, I'm 62+ y.o. I am deft in my right ear("married ear") and have major loss in my left ear. All the result of a helo crash I was in.
Now, why you want to take it personal, when I comment about driv'n stupid is past me. Little 'thin' me thinks. BTW, I never used the word "must", that's YOUR addition.
Carry on,
LG
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I've been running a DL in my D30 for 15 years, it has never made any noise and have only broken one axle u-joint in all those years. That is with 35s and substantially more horsepower than normally found in a stock Cj.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.