Opinions about new tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinions about new tires

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Opinions about new tires

I need to replace my tires. The size is 31x10.5 R15 which I like. I'm looking at
Dick Cepek Tires F-C II Radials. Not cheep, but not terrible. Any thoughts?

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It depends on what you do with the CJ whether this tyre would be suitable for you.

Most CJ owners will have either All Terrains or Mud Terrains fitted but soem will have road tyres and some aggressive roc crawling tyres. It depends on what you will use it for.

All Terrains are great if you spend 80-90% of the time on highway and want good braking and wet weather handling but the ability to go off road occassionally. I have BFG All Terrains on my Cherokee and they have lasted 17 years, replaced this year as the grip was mainly from the cracks in the rubber. A great tyre that gives extreme mileage and grip, about the same price as the ones you are looking at and trustworthy at speed and can take a high speed wallop from a deep and wide hole where a lesser tyres would be damaged.

Mud Terrains have a much greater amount of empty space in the tread, great for grip but you get less rubber in contact. They are not brilliant on the highway but off road they will make a big difference over the All Terrains. I spend 60% of my time off road or on trails in my CJ at low speeds so I have Mud Terrains. Braking at highway speeds is compromised to an extent but on highway I rarely exceed 40mph. I have local brand M/T which have held up well and i am not too picky as I do not need high speed reliability.

The tyres you are looking at appear to have an All Terrain style pattern on the middle of the tread and a far more open tread to the sides. The blurb suggests it is designed to be somewhere between the All terarin and Mud Terrain tyres. Is this what you want? It will not be as good on highway as the All terrain and I expect braking distances to be longer or as good off road as a Mud terrain. If you were 50/50 highway / off road it may suit you.

Just a few thoughts on tyre choice. They are a big investment and can make a world of difference.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

I had a set of 35x12.5 on my 250 super duty that gave me just about 44k miles of service. They wore excellent and had a fair ride with a slight hum but not loud and annoying. For the tire type, size and used under a diesel pick up I was very pleased with the FC-2. Remember a tire is only as good to you as you are to it, rotate and check pressure regularly and most will give good service.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
jeepmor

I have had swampers, BFG ATs, KM2s and Goodyear Duratracs over the years.

I would go back to the BFG ATs for their wear and traction on highway.

The Duratracs are nice and quiet on the road for as aggressive as they are. But they are a soft tire and I've already been through two of them. I'm wishing I'd went with BFG ATs instead for a longer life tire. The duratracs are great in the snow and I appreciate the extra traction in the mud. They are on my Tacoma though, I do not wheel it, just forest road duty.

I currently have the KM2s on my jeep (35s) and I really like them over the swampers 34x9.5s I had on for years. KM2 radial are now my preferred jeep tire as it's a trail rig and BFG has a good rep for tough tires. And compared to my Duratracs, they're superior. I've popped one hitting a rock, bad judgement, looking right when I should have looked left. And I just hit a road hazard the other day found a 1/2" hole in my front tire, duratrac, that I now have to replace.

No comments on the tires you're looking at, but as mentioned, just figure out your hwy vs off road needs and lean accordingly. Mud tires are usually quite a bit softer than ATs FWIW.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, agreed that M/T will not give such good wear on highway. They undeniably have soft big cleats with lots of space which allows lots of grip off road and can be pressured down a long way and perform at relatively low pressues, things that are undesirable at speed on the highway.

A stated I was very very happy with BFG All Terrains and 80,000 miles over terrible Indonesian roads with very few punctures and no sidewall damage is testament to one tough tyre design.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

I should have been more specific. I'm thinking all terrain because most of my off roading will require me to travel over highway first, otherwise I run around town alto too. Some but very little snow use. Therefore I'm really interested in how these tires will hold up to paved road travel.
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
jeepmor

You want the BFG AT tires then. They are the benchmark all others get compared too. And my experience with them and others mentioned have proven that out for me over the past 20 years.

As mentioned above, if I had to do it again, my Tacoma would be outfitted with BFG AT's, not the Duratracs. I think the AT's would have survived the hit that popped my Duratrac. The sidewall just isn't very beefy on the Duratrac. I have load range C tires, this may be why. But then again, you don't need anything above load range C for a jeep either. It's a jeep, not a 8000lb truck.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

X2 on BFG A/T tires
Been run'n them for over 20 yrs, and see no reason to ever change.
LG
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

X3 on the BFG's,great all around tire. They do like to throw stones though.....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

i have the bfg a/t on my tj they go good and wear forever. im running the falken wild peak a/t on my truck and have been very pleased with them thus far especially for the price. you may want to look into them. running the nitto mud grapplers on the cj, and well you don't want those.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
streetpro

1978 CJ7 

Currently on 33x12.5R15 Mickey Thompson ATX Plus. Road manners and passable on the trail. My Cepeks used to get flat spots and go BLAP BLAP BLAP down the road.
streetpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.