Opinion - Hard or Soft top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Opinion - Hard or Soft top?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Opinion - Hard or Soft top?

Iíd like to get peopleís opinions.

I bought a 1985 CJ7 a couple of months ago. Itís in decent running shape (only leaks a half quart a month of varying fluids) and is my second vehicle. I donít off road in it- I just drive it around when the weather is nice. Otherwise it sits outside with a Raingear rain cover (no garage at the moment). Iím trying to prepare for the colder months down the road and Iíd like to get your opinions. It came with a bikini top and a hard top in decent shape (one 6Ē crack near the rear window, but very functional) and full hard doors with rollup windows in very good shape. It also has the bestop runners for when the PO previously has a bestop softop (he even gave me the old frame for it).

Should I put the hard top back on in the winter and enjoy an enclosed space where the heater makes a difference? I donít have the keys to the doors or the back so ďsecurityĒ isnít really an option.

Or should I sell the hard top and hard doors and avoid the hassle of taking the hard top on and off over and over again and just buy a soft top? I would like to get hard half doors either way, so I would have to look into soft uppers that would work with a CJ (further confusing what soft top and uppers I would buy).

What do you have? What do you like?

AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

IF you live in snow/ice country, get the HT.....
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

If by " I want to get to half doors anyway" , you mean hard half doors,then you will have to do some modifications to make the wrangler yj hard half doors to work. It looks like you live pretty close to the montains The inside of the jeep will get warmer with a hard top and hard doors. Whats the summer like there ? I live on the east coast by the beach. I got rid of my hard top and run a bestop supertop soft top year round. I don't like to take the entire top off very much if at all. To me it's a pain in the butt. But I take the doors off all the time. You could run a hard top and drive with out the doors on. If you do the chevy blazer heater blower motor upgrade that makes a big difference in how warm it gets. In my opinion it takes a long time it takes almost 10 minutes for the climate to get descent in the jeep with the heat on in the winter anyway. So you're gonna be bundled up when you get in the jeep to go unless you're gonna let the jeep warm up before you drive it. You said you mostly drive it when the weather is nice so why not just get a soft top. Or keep the hardtop , and give it some time , and get a soft top also.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

It's also quieter inside a Jeep with a hard top. I used to have a hard top, and I miss it now.
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I take my hard top off late spring. Ru. A bikini top through the summer and put the hard top back on in the fall.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't drive a CJ, but I live in Northern Illinois, it gets cold, very cold at times, I have a hard top....hanging in my garage. I've been running my Rampage bowless soft top for over a year straight...and I've driven to Moab and back with it on twice, it's plenty quiet. Going from top on to top off is super ez and super quick. I don't miss the hard top at all.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

there you go, hard top ion winter, bikini in summer, perfect.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hard top , opinions wanted , soft top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.