JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Opinion - Hard or Soft top? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/opinion-hard-soft-top-1535166/)

AlexThePhotoGuy 06-11-2013 12:43 PM

Opinion - Hard or Soft top?

Iíd like to get peopleís opinions.

I bought a 1985 CJ7 a couple of months ago. Itís in decent running shape (only leaks a half quart a month of varying fluids) and is my second vehicle. I donít off road in it- I just drive it around when the weather is nice. Otherwise it sits outside with a Raingear rain cover (no garage at the moment). Iím trying to prepare for the colder months down the road and Iíd like to get your opinions. It came with a bikini top and a hard top in decent shape (one 6Ē crack near the rear window, but very functional) and full hard doors with rollup windows in very good shape. It also has the bestop runners for when the PO previously has a bestop softop (he even gave me the old frame for it).

Should I put the hard top back on in the winter and enjoy an enclosed space where the heater makes a difference? I donít have the keys to the doors or the back so ďsecurityĒ isnít really an option.

Or should I sell the hard top and hard doors and avoid the hassle of taking the hard top on and off over and over again and just buy a soft top? I would like to get hard half doors either way, so I would have to look into soft uppers that would work with a CJ (further confusing what soft top and uppers I would buy).

What do you have? What do you like?

LumpyGrits 06-11-2013 01:18 PM

IF you live in snow/ice country, get the HT.....:thumbsup:
LG

agear 06-11-2013 01:36 PM

If by " I want to get to half doors anyway" , you mean hard half doors,then you will have to do some modifications to make the wrangler yj hard half doors to work. It looks like you live pretty close to the montains The inside of the jeep will get warmer with a hard top and hard doors. Whats the summer like there ? I live on the east coast by the beach. I got rid of my hard top and run a bestop supertop soft top year round. I don't like to take the entire top off very much if at all. To me it's a pain in the butt. But I take the doors off all the time. You could run a hard top and drive with out the doors on. If you do the chevy blazer heater blower motor upgrade that makes a big difference in how warm it gets. In my opinion it takes a long time it takes almost 10 minutes for the climate to get descent in the jeep with the heat on in the winter anyway. So you're gonna be bundled up when you get in the jeep to go unless you're gonna let the jeep warm up before you drive it. You said you mostly drive it when the weather is nice so why not just get a soft top. Or keep the hardtop , and give it some time , and get a soft top also.

Nereussailor 06-11-2013 02:05 PM

It's also quieter inside a Jeep with a hard top. I used to have a hard top, and I miss it now.

holliewood61 06-11-2013 04:12 PM

I take my hard top off late spring. Ru. A bikini top through the summer and put the hard top back on in the fall.

Jeffro06 06-11-2013 04:20 PM

I don't drive a CJ, but I live in Northern Illinois, it gets cold, very cold at times, I have a hard top....hanging in my garage. I've been running my Rampage bowless soft top for over a year straight...and I've driven to Moab and back with it on twice, it's plenty quiet. Going from top on to top off is super ez and super quick. I don't miss the hard top at all.

hotrod351 06-11-2013 04:20 PM

there you go, hard top ion winter, bikini in summer, perfect.

The time now is 02:40 PM.