Operation ORGAN DONOR: T5 to T176 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Operation ORGAN DONOR: T5 to T176 swap

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Operation ORGAN DONOR: T5 to T176 swap

So I got my OME lift installed (minus shocks) and was not surprisingly let down by my driveshafts....terrible vibration at any speed over 25mph. It was time for new driveshafts anyway - they were JUNK. So what's the best way to replace your driveshafts?

SWAP IN A NEW T176 and DANA 300 from a local donor vehicle!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ch...04/index4.html

I made the rookie T4 to T5 swap in April -- bought an Ebay T5 and "upgraded" a worn-out T4. Paid to have it installed - even though my mechanic told me to go with a T176. Upgraded the clutch linkage to HD. Drove it all summer and simply put up with it. The OD was nice with 31s, but I won't need it with my new 33s and it shifts like crappola anyway.

So I called up the seller and we made a sweet deal for everything I needed from his rolling chasis - bellhousing/new Centerforce Clutch/T176/Dana 300 with Currie Twin Sticks and both driveshafts. He's a good dude and I almost felt bad watching him take apart a project he had clearly put a lot of time and MONEY into....

It's all been rebuilt, but never been driven -- I have high hopes for it all. For what I paid, even if something needs work, I've won.

So having learned the lesson that doing it yourself is both satisfying and cheaper - I've dove right in.

Plucked my Trans/TC/Bellhousing/Driveshafts out this afternoon. Actually pretty straight forward.

I have my neighbors mortorcycle jack which will be a lifesaver since I'm going to try and put the transmission and transfer case up as one unit.....

We'll see!!

More later - pics below.

Cheers,
TrebleHook

img_0948.jpg   img_0949.jpg   img_0950.jpg   img_0951.jpg   img_0960.jpg  

TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

On a related note (Why I hate my T5):

This is what I found when I pulled the T5 - major damage to the input shaft (top and bottom. The TO bearing (I was told this was replaced NEW in April) was significantly damaged.

What would cause this? I could see the metal shavings all over when I pulled it - you can see them in one picture.

It was driving without any recent change in sound or operation. It was never silent, but I don't recall a significant "incident."

Thoughts?

Cheers,
TrebleHook
img_0968.jpg   img_0970.jpg   img_0973.jpg   img_0974.jpg  
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Treble,

Good luck with the swap.

Man, I have a hard time looking at your fuzzy pics. Using a cell phone, I take it? Is there a focus on that thing?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Have fun, Use the right holes in the frame and on the skid plate for the T-176.

The wear on the T-5, looks like it could of been caused by only getting 1 clip from the Throw out bearing on the clutch fork. Something you may need to look at before putting in the t-176.

Also, even though I'm almost 60, it was easier for me to put the t-177 in and then attach the dana 300 by hand with no jack. They are surprisingly light.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7
Treble,

Good luck with the swap.

Man, I have a hard time looking at your fuzzy pics. Using a cell phone, I take it? Is there a focus on that thing?

Matt
They look fine on my iPhone and Mac, but I think I need to upload them
In higher resolution....or stop shaking!!
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think it is the size of the pictures you are uploading. Computers are not my strong point either, that is why I drive a vehicle designed in the pre chip age.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Ok, so I'm rethinking trying to hoist both tht transmission and TC up at the same time -- but I am confused about separating the Dana 300 from the T176? Do I unbolt the TC from the adapter? Or the Adapter from the Transmission? Are there gaskets, or do the seals do the work? My searches were not too clear.....

It's a leak-free package right now and I am hesitant to screw it up by separating them -- but I'm not feeling particularly strong either....

Advice?

Cheers,
TrebleHook
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Resize the pics for the page you are posting on. Don't post them full size. Either force them down to a reasonable display size or thumbnail them. Very hard to look at unless you click on them and view them like a slideshow.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleHook View Post
They look fine on my iPhone and Mac, but I think I need to upload them
In higher resolution....or stop shaking!!
Actually, if you just reduce the image size, the resolution should improve.

Computers display all images in a fixed resolution (72 PPI for Macs, 96 PPI for Windows). The larger the image size, the more fuzzy they will look on the display.

My wife and I own an advertising agency, so the nature of digital photography is quite familiar to me.

Matt
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes View Post
Resize the pics for the page you are posting on. Don't post them full size. Either force them down to a reasonable display size or thumbnail them. Very hard to look at unless you click on them and view them like a slideshow.
Yeah - I'll address the pics when I get home. Sorry -- it's a bit obnoxious!

Any chance a moderator is watching and can hook a fella up?
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleHook View Post
Yeah - I'll address the pics when I get home. Sorry -- it's a bit obnoxious!

Any chance a moderator is watching and can hook a fella up?
Here's what one of your fuzzy monster pics above looks like re-sized to 8"x10". The focus is still off, but it's a lot easier to view at this size, don't you agree?

Matt
treble.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

"fuzzy monster pics" I love it.

Yeah, yeah, I'll fix it, I'll fix it!
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
agear
1984 CJ7 

By input shaft , what you're referring to I think is called the front bearing retainer. You should make sure the one on the T176 isn't gouged up.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Fuzzy monster pics...repaired!

No work tonight. Bought new bolts for the install.

BUT...33x10.5R15 BFG KM2s are being mounted. Front N95 shocks arrived and new Warn hubs are here....not a bad day at all!!

Cheers,
TrebleHook
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

I just had my *** handed to me...can you say "Clam Chowder on Rye?"

So I decided that because the T176/Dana300 combo was so nice and pretty, that I would install them as one unit. Ouch. That muther frucker is frucken stinking HEAVY AS HELL!!!

So after I tried installing them with the shifter still attached - no go, dumb idea - I removed the shifter/top plate, but kept the twin sticks on (another dumb idea. I eventually folded them down).

3 seriously frustrating attempts and a lot of lessons learned (mainly HOW TO KEEP THE THROWOUT BEARING FROM COMING OFF DURING INSTALL) and I took a nice long break that included 2 beers....

I was fried. Arms done. Neck done. Frustrated as hell.

So once the beer kicked in, I decided to lift the unit with my brains. I spent some time configuring a piece of plywood and some scrap wood on the motorcycle jack such that the unit would sit naturally (i.e. trans straight, Dana clocked as if it were properly installed). Time well spent.

Loaded the unit on the jack/wood frame...and patiently worked it into place. Once I thought that it was good to go, I just got in there and gave it everything I had. And then.....

...it happened. (I thought it was a once in a lifetime experience). I lined it up. Gave it a little shove. Thought that it wasn't right and....SLIP...in in went. All the way to the hilt. HEAVEN!!!!

Bolted it up. Supported it with a jackstand and I'll button it all up tomorrow.

To do:

Clean/Seal/Replace top plate
Install tranny mount
Fill Tranny and TC w/ GL5 80w90 Sta-lube
Install front driveshaft
Install old skid plate (new one inbound, but need my DD back!)
Clutch linkage/adjustment
Install rear driveshaft
(TC vent?)

Also tomorrow (more for me than you all):
Up on 4 jackstands
Remove old wheels
paint rear hubs/axle ends
adjust rear brakes
clean/paint front hubs
install new Warn lockouts
install front shocks
install new 33's....
drool....

Cheers,
TrebleHook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.