Which one to sell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which one to sell?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
Jeepbit

Which one to sell?

I got a problem. I need to sell one of my Jeeps to help pay for my daughter's college tuition. Which one should I sell? Which one will I regret selling more?
1979 CJ5 strong 304 V8, soft top, otherwise stock. excellent mechanical condition. 10 MPG
1985 CJ7 258 6, one piece axles, Advance Adapter world class T5, hard top. 14 MPG
She won't need a car at college. I work 4 miles from home. The CJ5 is a pain to get in and out of, but the V8 feeds my mid-life crisis blues. The CJ7 is a sweet smooth ride, but makes me wish for a V8. The Carter BBD is working OK this month.

Jeepbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2002, 12:33 AM   #2
Hippo393

Sell the '85.
If the V8 really makes you happy (it'd make ME happy!), you'll be glad you held onto it. Trim the gut a bit and it'll be easier to get in!

The '85 may net you more $$ for when she drops her first class and you don't get a refund .

Post your Jeep for sale here and show some pics!!
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2002, 06:15 AM   #3
GroundUpCJ7

I agree. If your motivation is to make money, put the CJ 7 up for sale. People tend to shy away from CJ 5's because they've heard they flip easy. What they don't realize is they can get anything to flip if they try hard enough. But that's a topic for another post. I'd put it on ebay as well as post here and other bbs. It seems as though ebay fetches better coin. Keep the Jeep that makes you happier...which sounds like the 5.
Unread 05-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Selling one kidney on the black market will net you most of all, and you keep both Jeeps . . . just a thought about priorities (LOL)

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2002, 11:47 AM   #5
Steelhead

Well being that you don't like to get in and out of the CJ-5 but like the V-8 why don't youi take the V-8 out of the CJ-5 and put it into the CJ-7 then put the 258 from the CJ- 7 into the CJ-5 then sell the CJ-5 and you would have the best of the two Jeeps. And it probably wouldn't cost to much being that most of the parts you would need are right there.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:44 AM   #6
Bulletproofcj7

Here's another vote for the engine swap! Keep the 7!
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
Steelhead

Hey Jeepbit let us know what you decide to do. Ok?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
Boggy Bottom

Dang it! Rough choice there. I'm a huge fan of V-8s, so I would probably keep that one.

Word of advice however: I've already put two kids through college. One stayed around here and the other went to school in Boston (you can just imagine how expensive THAT was!). Be kind to yourself, and keep the sancitity of your "Jeepness" together... don't sell your stuff off unless you have to. College is tough and kids can be fickle. The few thousand you get for your beloved Jeep will only be a piss in the bucket compared to the many thousand it costs to send a kid to school.

Also...

The attrition rate is astounding. Your daughter could decide she don't like it and not go after the first year, or the first semester for that matter. I put my daughter through college for a history degree for five years. September 11th happened and she decided that life was too short not to spend it with her fiance (a marine). They are now happily living in North Carolina. Needless to say, she would have graduated last Saturday.

Moral of the story?

Sacrifice for your kids is so admirable, I can't begin to describe the respect I have for you. BUT! Keep it together, bro. Your kids will achieve what they can, and you will have everything to do with that. Keep your hobbies whole and borrow the money anyway. The 1000s it will cost will rapidly overshadow the miniscule amount your will get for your buggy.

Damn! There I go again preachin'!! Sorry, and I don't mean to offend, surely. Just don't want to see a fellow jeeper going down the same road as me.

Peace!
Unread 05-26-2002, 09:51 PM   #9
Jeepbit

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Looks like 2 votes for the CJ5, 2 votes for swapping engines and keeping the CJ7, 1 vote for my kidney, and 1 vote for keeping both 'cuz kids will be kids. The engine swap is out because I'm tired of wrenching on them. I have lost 40 pounds in the past 3 months, so I'm on the right track there. A tilt-telescoping steering column would be great, though. Keeping both would make it difficult to updgrade either (with college expenses too). How much would a kidney fetch? No thanks, I'm diabetic and need both kidneys. I'm planning on keeping the 1979 CJ5 with the 304 V8. I'm going start a new post for info on putting in that tilt-telescoping steering column.
Jeepbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2002, 01:18 AM   #10
Hippo393

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> How much would a kidney fetch? No thanks, I'm diabetic and need both kidneys. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wait a minute...kidneys don't factor in diabetes. What you need is a good pancreas and a year's supply of glucophage and you're set. (unless there's a heart condition, then glucophage is NOT a good idea)

Glad to hear that you've decided on the '79. Tilt wheel shouldn't be that difficult to construct. Let us know if you need resources. Good luck with college! Any college and/or major picked out yet? I'm a little particular to Kent State myself...
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.