One-piece front end - NEW IDEA maybe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > One-piece front end - NEW IDEA maybe

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

One-piece front end - NEW IDEA maybe

Hi

I know all of you resto/mod guys are familiar with this:

When doing the next project, you always want to do something special, that not everybody has

When counting sheep last night didn't help me fall asleep, I came with this idea: a motorized one-piece front end for the '7. At the switch of a button, the front end should open up and tilt forwards. Wouldn't that be cool?

The thing is, I didn't came up with a solution on how to do it. I was about the same principal as with a garage port opener. Could it be done?

I bet some hotrod'ers have done this, but I haven't seen on it Jeeps yet

jeepsterdk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterdk View Post

When counting sheep last night didn't help me fall asleep, I came with this idea: a motorized one-piece front end for the '7. At the switch of a button, the front end should open up and tilt forwards. Wouldn't that be cool?

The thing is, I didn't came up with a solution on how to do it. I was about the same principal as with a garage port opener. Could it be done?
Anything is possible with the right amount of cash. If they can make cars bounce for some stupid reason, there are hydraulics, pneumatics and other things capable of making your vision become reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'll be glad to get started on that project for you!
All it takes is a deposit of $10,000 and I'll start designing right away!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I thought they just used a convertible top motor
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

We use air rams for that stuff now...
Push them forward, then up, or even sideways. There are several out there that push the front end straight up, then roll it to the side instead of flip it forward.

The old rag tops used electric over hydraulic on the heavy tops, some of the lighter ones used gear reduction electric, much like a power window motor...

The worst thing about doing the hinges in the front is if you actually go wheeling,
And you prang on anything, you hood is SCREWED!

Any kind of grill guard or brush guard, and that will have to move with the hood...
Along with the Winch.

Like I said, I'll work out the engineering if he gets the Jeep here and sends along a $10,000 deposit...
We've got a fabrication shop and body shop that does this stuff all day long on the race cars and show cars, so it's not a problem doing it...
It's just going to be EXPENSIVE!

Along with impractical if you intend to do ANY wheeling with it!
Bumpers, brush/grill guards and winches on a pivot don't usually work the most efficiently, but I'll work something out!
Unread 07-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I actually like the ones were there are hinges on the fender to the firewall and you can swing the fenders out.
Much more practicle than the one piece.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
We use air rams for that stuff now...
Push them forward, then up, or even sideways. There are several out there that push the front end straight up, then roll it to the side instead of flip it forward.

The old rag tops used electric over hydraulic on the heavy tops, some of the lighter ones used gear reduction electric, much like a power window motor...

The worst thing about doing the hinges in the front is if you actually go wheeling,
And you prang on anything, you hood is SCREWED!

Any kind of grill guard or brush guard, and that will have to move with the hood...
Along with the Winch.

Like I said, I'll work out the engineering if he gets the Jeep here and sends along a $10,000 deposit...
We've got a fabrication shop and body shop that does this stuff all day long on the race cars and show cars, so it's not a problem doing it...
It's just going to be EXPENSIVE!

Along with impractical if you intend to do ANY wheeling with it!
Bumpers, brush/grill guards and winches on a pivot don't usually work the most efficiently, but I'll work something out!
It's a little expensive for me to bring the jeep to your shop. I live in Denmark, europe so the freight alone would 2000$ each way. But thanks for the offer. I know it's going to be expensive, but I bet it would be cool. My Jeep will most likely never go wheeling, as I will be using it as a commercial for my business. I just wanted to know if it's impossible or not, but it seems that it could be done. I know a few engineers who could help me with the technical stuff. If I start doing this, I will of course start a build thread in the technical build up section.
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

talk to this guy. he can help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zRKLM9XQg

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
It's a little expensive for me to bring the jeep to your shop. I live in Denmark, europe so the freight alone would 2000$ each way. But thanks for the offer. I know it's going to be expensive, but I bet it would be cool. My Jeep will most likely never go wheeling, as I will be using it as a commercial for my business. I just wanted to know if it's impossible or not, but it seems that it could be done. I know a few engineers who could help me with the technical stuff. If I start doing this, I will of course start a build thread in the technical build up section.
We just did 15 vehicles for the Prince of Bahrain (second shipment) and we have done several for Saudis and Kuwaiti's...
Some they bought here and had modified and shipped,
Other were shipped here for mods and shipped over there.

And just for the record, the hinges for those 'Lamborghini' style front doors and side opening trunk are commercially sold for about $400 a set.

The rear 'Dancing Doors' are sold as a kit, about $1,400 a piece.
It's all bolt on parts, nothing really orignal...

If you want to see orignal, go to one of the 'Low Rider' shows, or some of the 'Street Rod' shows....
You will see it all there LONG before it's commercially available!
--------------------

Since the CJ's used a single front fender/radiator mount (Front/Middle) and there is a substantial cross member and frame available to mount directly to, I believe it would be a snap to do the mechanics of a "Push Forward/Lift" hood/fenders on a Jeep, but for the life of me I don't know why you would want to lift the fenders...

Maybe split the fenders longways and lift the top half of the fender, but not the entire thing!

As for brush guard/grill guard, hinges and wiring, have a look at the 'Moose Basher' bumpers and hoods that big rigs use... They all tip forward to access the engine compartment...
Being in Europe, you might want to look up Australia's 'Roo Basher' bumpers! Nothing like 250 pounds of Kangaroo to screw up a perfectly good day! So a lot of the Aussies have huge bumper guards too...
Just another resource for ideas for brush/animal guards and tipping hoods/fenders.
Unread 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
but for the life of me I don't know why you would want to lift the fenders...
Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear in my first post. I don't want to "lift" the fenders. Since it's a one-piece front end, all I want to do is make the tilt-forward movement automatic instead of the normally pull-by-hand-to-lift method. I'm sorry if I can't explain myself better in English, but I hope you get the picture
Unread 07-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Shrevmo
1985 CJ7 

They make something like that commercial big rigs that have tilt noses. They are a little bigger and heavier too, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw them. Too much time surfin' and not enough workin'!! If your really interested, take a look on line at some tractor trailer auto body supply places and or aftermarket retailers and it will be in there I'm sure.
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

google "linear actuators"
Electric positioning devices

here is one supplier (and he has remote control capabilites)
http://www.firgelliauto.com/
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #13
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlecj5 View Post
google "linear actuators"
Electric positioning devices

here is one supplier (and he has remote control capabilites)
http://www.firgelliauto.com/
Thank you very much! I browsed the page suggested and he has all the good stuff to make it work. I can buy the parts from him for around 350$. A good deal. Now I just need to get my body and one-piece front on the chassis to measure how long the strokes have to be. SUPER!
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Glad to help!

here is another source for ya to price shop...
http://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UI...c&keyword=EALD
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear in my first post. I don't want to "lift" the fenders. Since it's a one-piece front end, all I want to do is make the tilt-forward movement automatic instead of the normally pull-by-hand-to-lift method. I'm sorry if I can't explain myself better in English, but I hope you get the picture
I have a one piece front clip that uses the stock hinge positions to flip the whole front end up in the air.

It clears my winch and driving lights this way.

Basically this means I can and do sit on the front tire while changing my spark plugs.

The Jeep one piece front ends come with the grill and fenders attached to the hood.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.