One Piece Axle Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > One Piece Axle Install

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
rashin
1976 CJ7 

One Piece Axle Install

I am installing the "Ten Factory" one piece axles into my narrow track CJ.

It seems the bearing spacer is about 0.100" too long. The directions say that I am to evenly grind this down or use the factory shims.

What has been your experiences? I believe that these axles are built the same as other brands such as Crown because the directions are exactly the same.

Is there a cheap source for factory shims? One of the factory shims I pulled out was 0.050" so I may only need a couple of those to make this work. (The main reason i plan to use shims to close the gap is because I am unable to pull the spacer out of the housing after I test fit it).

Thanks!

rashin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I would take it to a machine shop and have them grind the spacer instead of trying it myself. While the instructions are similar, they aren't identical. Notice that Moser doesn't even mention shimming: http://www.moserengineering.com/aitd...aitfile_id/88/

You have 60 thousandths for tolerance and your spacer can't meet it? Unless there's something way strange about your axle, if it was me I'd return the axle set and order some Mosers or other quality kit for about the same price. I believe Superiors are gone now, though. Frankly, if you're comparing your axles to Crown or Omix, you're not saying much. (But for I know you pulled those names out of the sky for comparison) Yukons are supposed to be good as well.

To their credit, it does look like they're using Timken bearings, but it's the spacer sizing that matters.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
rashin
1976 CJ7 

I was impressed with the quality of the Ten Factory kit. It did include Timken bearings. They are built by the same company in Chicago (Motive Gear) that builds the Richmond Powertrax and some other brands.

My seal is fully seated and I have about 0.160" clearance from the front of the bearing to the axle face. I havent tried the other side yet. I'll take some measurements and report back....
Unread 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
rashin
1976 CJ7 

Has anyone else had issues with the clearance of the bearing spacer on a 1 piece install?
Unread 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Normal for all of them, even the Mosers. I used the shims instead of grinding mine.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
rashin
1976 CJ7 

Anyone know of a cheap source for shims?
Unread 11-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/axle-sh...-3141319k.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.