One Piece Axle Bearing Information... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > One Piece Axle Bearing Information...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

One Piece Axle Bearing Information...

This information is directly from Superior and Moser Tech people.
(CONSIDER THIS FOR A 'STICKY'...)

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BEARINGS YOU USE.

There are two bearing choices,
Timken p/n SET 9, and Green p/n RW-903CJ

===========================

MOSER ENGINEERING uses both Timken Set 9 and Green RW-903CJ

Moser p/n RW9CJ57 or 9CJ57 for SEALED 'Green' brand bearings,

Moser p/n 9CJTB for the Timken Set 9 Tapered Bearings
http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...lbearings.html

The Information from Moser is, they DO NOT use BEARING SPACER RING installed between INNER seal and bearing retainer.

SUPERIOR ONLY USES TIMKEN SET 9 TAPER BEARINGS,
(Although I'm under the understanding that Green Sealed Roller Bearings will work also.)

Superior Axle uses an INNER SEAL, Then a 'SPACER/ADAPTER' between Inner Seal and the lock ring for the bearings.
The purpose for this 'Spacer' is to keep the lock ring from rubbing on the seal.
(See 'Bearing Spacer Ring' in image above)

Use of that Spacer requires the locking ring to be machined for thickness.
(NOT inside diameter, or outside diameter, but thickness to 0.300" thick, about half of factory Timken Set 9 thickness)

Superior Part Numbers for parts,
Timken Bearing Set 9 with machined lock p/n A9
Machined lock ring p/n 3107D $16.24 Ea.
Spacer p/n 3107A $16.24 Ea.

Install kit, (one each) Set 9 Bearing, Machined Lock, Spacer, Inner Seal, Outer Seal, $53.05,
1 Each Per Side.
=================================

Here is the difference in the bearings...

Timken 'Set 9' are conventional taper bearings, they have very good load handling capabilities and are up to about anything you can throw at them, including extended high speed service.

Set 9 'Snaps' together in a peculiar way, but they aren't anything that are so different you won't be able to figure them out if you are used to wheel bearings.

The drawbacks will be on some of the aftermarket 'Clone' axles you will have to use SHIMS to set Pre-Load,

And in ALL CASES you will need an outer seal and you will need LUBRICANT to the Set 9 bearings.
Some people drill a hole in the inner seals so gear lube can circulate around the bearings,
Some people use both seals and wheel bearing grease.

In either case, you MUST use an outer seal and lubricant!
=================================

'Green' brand bearings are a fully spherical, round ball type bearing, not the taper bearings you are used to seeing in wheel bearing applications.

This means they will have less total load carrying capacity, so if you tow large boats, heavy tongue weight trailers, you are using your CJ as a tow truck, ect.
I'd pass on the 'Green' brand bearings.

Also, 'Green' brand bearings are SEALED BEARINGS, meaning they don't use outside lubrication.

The good points to that are contaminants can't enter the bearing and there is no messy 'Repacks'.

The down side is there is a VERY limited amount of lubricant available to the bearing, so that lubricant will get VERY HOT during operation.

This means in most cases, if you install an inside seal to keep the gear lube in the differential housing,
You can skip the outside seal.
With no lube at the outside seal, it's just going to burn up anyway...

ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION.
You can use BOTH seals, but put a small some gear lube in the bearing flange with the bearings anyway to keep rust down, and use an outside seal to keep the gear lube IN, and the mud, dust, rust OUT!

Last edited by JeepHammer; 04-02-2009 at 02:57 PM..
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

great info jh. many thanks.

i wish moser had put that in the directions too. why would moser include the spacers in the kit if they're not used...after several attempts to get it right, i ended up leaving the spacers out and guess what.. things fit perfect. same thing with the thrust block. they didn't mention that at all either. if they had, it would've saved me several hours of frustration.
Unread 04-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Well, I spent about 2 hours on the phone, one with each place, and I figure while I'm typing the info out for my own files, might as well post it up here.

Thrust block is an issue with with some people, but Moser swears it's not an issue with the majority of people...
I have NO IDEA since we normally pull AMC axles and put in Dana axles or Ford 9"...
This is actually only the second set of once piece axles I've installed, so I though I'd get the low down directly from the 'Horse's Mouth'...
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You cannot replace the Green bearings with the tapered bearings either, the axles are cut different from Moser for the different bearings, the axle for the green beaing does not have a seal surface cut outside of the bearing so you cannot put the outer retainer on.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
SUPERIOR ONLY USES TIMKEN SET 9 TAPER BEARINGS,
(Although I'm under the understanding that Green Sealed Roller Bearings will work also.)
Did you end up using the Green brand bearings on your Superior axles?

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
neals80
1980 CJ7 

there needs to be a stickie on this one piece application...IMO

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Used the Superior kit on my AMC20. Had to remove the thrust block as the axles would not go all the way in. This is a passenger side offfset AMC20 as I have a QuadraTrac full time TC. I did have to shim one side with one of the original shims I removed from the removal of the original axles. This is a stock orignal AMC20 that came with my 1976 CJ7.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did not remove the thrust block and burnt a bearing out within 200 miles. This time I called around to the many of the 4x4 shops in the Denver/Colorado Springs area. One shop knew exactly what I needed without hesitation and sold me this kit from Crown Automotive Sales, part # 7086K.

I put that number into a google search and voila! I paid $42 a side plus tax, and the kit fit my Superior axles perfectly.

This is per side... They are Timken tapered bearings.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 10-07-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
neals80
1980 CJ7 

Thanks..hopefully all that comes with the new superior axles I ordered...I just am not sure how to remove the thrust block..do I have to remove the carrier??

Unread 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neals80 View Post
Thanks..hopefully all that comes with the new superior axles I ordered...I just am not sure how to remove the thrust block..do I have to remove the carrier??
I had to remove the ring gear (4.56) to remove the shaft that holds the thrust block, which meant the carrier did have to come out. It was because the shaft hit the ring gear teeth.

I think i could have done it with my old 3.54 gears and pull the block through the axle housing on the short end with a magnet.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 10-07-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Couple of pictures of the dreaded thrust block.

Here's some shots of the Superior axles assembled. Instead of using the whole backing plate, I cut the center out of it to use as a shim. Only because I am running disc brakes.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 10-07-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
neals80
1980 CJ7 

GReat pics thanks...

Unread 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

good Pictures!
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #14
a1mudpuppy
1979 CJ7 

Well I just did both sides and I did it like they should be done. Went maybe 100 miles and the left side started leaking. The bearing spacer ring trashed the bearing. I left it out this time along with the inner seal and put sealant on both plates and it's been working great so far. Now the right side started leaking and I'm going to do it this weekend. Great Pictures

Last edited by a1mudpuppy; 10-18-2009 at 08:01 PM..
a1mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
joes1982CJ

I know this is an old thread but its got some really good info,,,, my question is how are some folks running without the bearing spacer? this isnt the first time i have heard of this which is why i ask,,, its seems to me you would have a bunch of slop.
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
one piece bearing packing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.