Once a month engage 4WD to keep things fresh or need hubs locked and drive too? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Once a month engage 4WD to keep things fresh or need hubs locked and drive too?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Falcon_CMH

Once a month engage 4WD to keep things fresh or need hubs locked and drive too?

I read to once a month engage 4WD to keep things fresh that is oil on the seals so they don't dry rot etc. if your not using the transfer case reguarly. Can you just engage it and not lock the hubs and drive? Is that sufficient or do you need to engage and lock the hubs and drive it?

Unread 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
petey156
1977 CJ5 

it might not hurt, but i would not bother with starting that tradition now...
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Falcon_CMH

Well I am gonna since my transfer case was freshly rebuilt. But I am lazy and don't want to have to get out of the Jeep if I do not have too. I won't be using the 4 WD until winter and on the trails after I upgrade my axles and transmission.
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
andy_mitch92
1977 CJ7 

Do NOT drive with the xfer case in 4wd with the hubs unlocked. I assume you shouldnt do this due to the possibility of stripping the hub.

You can drive around with the hubs locked but in 2wd though.
andy_mitch92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_mitch92 View Post
Do NOT drive with the xfer case in 4wd with the hubs unlocked. I assume you shouldnt do this due to the possibility of stripping the hub.

You can drive around with the hubs locked but in 2wd though.
Yeah I would never do that. My question is though is just sitting switching to 4 WD is that enough to churn the oil on the seals and gears.

Or do I need to switch into 4WD, lock the hubs and drive it?

The article I read said just switching into 4WD w/o getting out is enough.

I wanted confirmation on that from members out here and if they even do this at all? It sounded like a great idea to me with minimal effort.
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Cant hurt but not necessary as mentioned, but if you are buying into the theory, then don't be lazy lock the hubs. I would think it more important to lock the hubs and let everything in the locking mechanism move, grease can gum up and cause a hub not to engage if not used regularly. Although not as a regular routine, I have driven in 4 wd especially 4 low without the hubs locked with no issue.
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The transfercase is getting splash lubed during normal driving. The whole point of the article Falcon was referring to was to keep all of the front axle components lubricated if you're not normally using 4WD. Think about it, if you never engage 4WD, the top half of the ring gear is never submersed in oil and could potentially rust pit. Same with the pinion bearings. I've actually seen this happen.

So by engaging 4WD with the front hubs unlocked, all you are doing is spinning the gears, bearings and axles to give them fresh lube but none of the power is applied to the wheels. There is nothing wrong with doing this. The hubs are their own device and are coated with grease so it is not as critical to lock them in for same "preventative maintenance". Locking in the hubs only ensures that the axle will be going the same speed as the wheel.

While my Jeep was stored for almost 10 years, I would just unlock all four hubs(I have a full floated rear axle), and would run the trans through all the gears at idle a couple of times a year. This made sure that the entire drive train would get freshly lubed.

So to answer the original question, if you are not normally using four wheel drive, it is not a bad thing to shift it into 4x4 with the hubs unlocked for a mile or so every couple months. It does help but there is no reason to go overboard with it either.

This same theory applies to parking brakes. You should activate your parking brake, on any vehicle, at least once a month whether you need to or not. It helps keep all of the components free from binding and rust. You have no idea how many vehicles I see in WI where the parking break isn't used for a 3-5 years then when they get their first state inspection, the tester applies the parking brake. The brakes apply then seize so the vehicle won't even move. If they had applied the parking brake once a month, that wouldn't happen.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Falcon_CMH

Whew thank you sir for a very intelligent and well written response!

I was losing hope out here on this forum. When I first visited it seemed like a nice place full of intelligent people who wanted to help each other but, since I paid to support the site, I have been having some terrible experiences with trolls and personal attacks that have totally turned me off this site. (Sorry for the rant its been a bad day out here today for me)
Unread 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'm not sure what you are referring to but you're welcome. I don't post as much as I use to but I still try to read most of the threads and help out when I see something going astray. There are a lot of good people on this board but you always have to remind yourself, this is the internet. You'll figure out pretty quickly most peoples personalities and experience levels.

One other thing I wanted to note on topic, locking in both front hubs and driving in 2WD will accomplish the same thing. Again, a mile every couple of months is more than enough to accomplish what you're looking for.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_CMH View Post

I have been having some terrible experiences with trolls and personal attacks that have totally turned me off this site. (Sorry for the rant its been a bad day out here today for me)

You know some might take offense to that statement.
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i use my jeep mainly on the farm so i need a slow moving vehicle from time to time.
so i just shift to 4 low without locking in the hubs, has worked for years with no problems. however i do lock the hubs and drive 2 or 3 miles once or twice a year just to keep the lock in system loose.

i even check the oil level in the differentials every year or two
but i rarely drive my jeep at highway speeds.

its for farm use and transporting grandkids.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

Im a firm believer in throwing it in 4 low and hitting a trail once a month. Even if its only for a hour..
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
jgladf
1985 CJ7 

I feel that you are seriously abusing your jeep if it hasn't been on a trail where it needed to be in 4wd at least monthly.
jgladf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Falcon_CMH

Point taken I just need some mods will hopefully be ready this spring!
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just picked up a new to me 1978, CJ7. This is the factory sticker on the dash.
Bill
forumrunner_20111002_124246.jpg  
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.