Omix-ada (rugged ridge) rear shackle hanger too wide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Omix-ada (rugged ridge) rear shackle hanger too wide

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
barnes21bb
1979 CJ7 

Omix-ada (rugged ridge) rear shackle hanger too wide

I ordered a new rear shackle hanger off ebay the other day to replace a broken one (see picture below). After having trouble with the install, I stopped and compared the old and new hangers. It turns out the old hanger is 2 7/16" wide
while the new hanger is 2 5/8". With the bushings in the new hanger, there is now way the shackle will fit.

Anyone else have this problem? I didn't find anything after searching the forums and the google.

Broken rear hanger

Old vs new rear hanger

barnes21bb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Typical Omix made crap that is never an exact replica part. Get rid of that junk and buy one that's 10X stronger like these. You'll never have to buy another set because you will never break them.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
barnes21bb
1979 CJ7 

Yep, Crabtree hangers are definitely in my future. This hanger was meant to be a temporary fix. I guess it won't even work for that.

I'll just bite the bullet and order the crabtree hangers for the rear. I may do YJ springs at some point and would need the wider hangers for the front.
Unread 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

My replacement one in the back came from Crown Auto and both are 2.5" wide, same as OEM factory.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Take what you've got and grind it to the size you need.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
barnes21bb
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin
Take what you've got and grind it to the size you need.
I considered this also. I'll probably do this as a temporary fix if I can't return it. Either way I'll probably be ordering rear Crabtree hangers soon.

Thanks for the reply.
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Rugged_Ridge
Vendor

2009 JK Wrangler 

Do you mind sending me a PM of who you purchased this from b/c ours are 2.5" just like OE and we have sold thousands of these without any issues. We've had a few people selling parts said to be ours and they weren't.

oe#: 5355281
omix#: 18271.03
18271.03.jpg  

We Make Jeeps Rock | Contact | RuggedRidge.com | Follow us on Facebook
Rugged_Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
barnes21bb
1979 CJ7 

I sent you the PM, RR.

I measured again, just to make sure (picture below). I doubt this would be a problem for shackles like Keith has. Mine have the welded piece in the center like the Warrior shackles in the last picture below.

I will say, I have a Rugged Ridge steering box mount, steering box brace, and a few other parts. They all fit without a problem. Rugged Ridge often has the nice combination of quality and price. I don't consider them to be crappy. The original design of these hanger seems to be the problem, and that's why I'm going with the Crabtree (already ordered them).

Thanks for all the replies!

2 5/8" wide

And the package it came in:

My type of shackle
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'll admit I may have been a little harsh in my first reply because I also have a few quality Omix/RR parts such as my HD steering box mount, brace, emblems and countless other small parts. At the same time I have also bought stuff like windshield hinges where the bolt holes are off and replacement gauges and fuel senders that were dead right out of the box.

It's good to see a vendor rep active on the forum so I will give them credit for that but when it comes to the spring hangers there is only one brand worth buying IMHO but you already knew that.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hanger , omix-ada , rugged ridge , shackle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.