OME rear CS037R too soft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > OME rear CS037R too soft?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

OME rear CS037R too soft?

Running the OME YJ spring conversion and have the CS037R light rears and the 14F fronts... Noticed a bit of rub in the rear wheel wells while hunting last week and have begun to wonder if I should have put the CS036R heavy/mediums in the rear instead? I have goodyear 32x11.50x 15 MTR tires..

I really would hate to cut the body/fender flare... Will the 36R add enough stiffness and height to prevent the rub?

img_1881-small-.jpg

img_1882-small-.jpg

img_1883-small-.jpg

img_1884-small-.jpg

Unread 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I can't answer that but I will say if you aren't fond of cutting the body you better figure out a solution quick. If the springs flex or settle anymore that little bit of rub will turn into panel grabbing and the portion right behind the rear tire will be a creased mess in short order. If you're happy with how it flexes and rides maybe look at a 1" body lift.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I would recommend the heavy rear springs all the way around (even in front). They will last longer and sag less. The stiffer spring rate won't solve your problem though. A stiffer spring will flex less easily, but will still flex (and that is a good thing... you wouldn't want to prevent them from flexing).

As suggested above, a small body lift would help with clearance.

You might also think about longer shackles. Don't know what shackles you are using now, but a 4" shackle (stock length for a YJ) would provide .5" of lift over a stock CJ shackle. I wouldn't go more than a 5" shackle (1" of lift) as it would cause more problems than it's worth. Be aware that longer shackles will also require you to correct pinion angles and caster angel in front (degree shims are a common way to do this).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Ughhhh....really don't want to do the body lift or longer shackles.. I have brand new YJ body mounts all the way around and new 4" shackles from Jim Crabtree... Also just got my angle shims just right and installed a new double cardan rear driveshaft from tattons.

The 36 springs will flex but perhaps not be as low riding as the 37's? It looks like the rear has settle a bit especially with a full 20 gallons of fuel, spare, and heavy bumper.
I think the body was 24.5 off the ground in the front before and the rear 25. Now the front is 24.5 and the rear is 24.
img_1900-small-.jpg

img_1902-small-.jpg

img_1903-small-.jpg

Unread 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Ughhhh....really don't want to do the body lift or longer shackles.. I have brand new YJ body mounts all the way around and new 4" shackles from Jim Crabtree... Also just got my angle shims just right and installed a new double cardan rear driveshaft from tattons.
Easy to understand that. Unfortunately there are limited possibilities... Change some brand new stuff or put up with the rub. Neither one is very appealing. Trimming the sheet metal back a little is really not as bad as it sounds. Guess you could always put in some big bump stops for a "temporary" fix.

Ain't Jeeps fun?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.