"old school" conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > "old school" conversion

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
84bluecj7
1984 CJ7 

"old school" conversion

I just purchased an '84 cj7 with a 4.2 - 4 speed and I would like to modify it "old school" to eliminate all electronics. I know I will need to change to a standard carbeurator and change the distributor to points and condensor. Any other changes I will need to do to eliminate the ECU?
Any recommendations on what carb to install? What year did the CJ's go to electronic ignition?

I am an old gear head but do not know anything about jeeps. This is going to be a hobby rebuild but I want to do it right and make it a dependable ride.

thanks in advance for your input.

Jim

84bluecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If you want simple just nutter it and put an HEI distributor in. Take you less time to swap in than converting back to points and give you a better ignition than what the old systems can provide. Coil and module in the cap, one wire hook up and remove all the wiring and vacuum lines associated with the old feed back carb. As for carbs, weber and MC2100 are the two most common swaps.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A good old holley is a good carb on a 4.2 also. I did the same style retro set up in my 87 yj. Tons of wires removed and old school carb and intake. Runs solidly and good power. I haven't had any trouble since I did the swap/ mod either
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
If you want simple just nutter it and put an HEI distributor in..
But he said he wants to eliminate the electronics. Wouldn't an HEI add electronics?
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444

But he said he wants to eliminate the electronics. Wouldn't an HEI add electronics?
It would replace complicated electronics with much simpler ones. Personally I think there's a reason points ignitions went the way of the dodo. You can get a much better ignition with improved reliability if you use quality parts. Considering the number of people that run electronic ignitions without issue I personally don't see going to points being a reliability thing. If its a matter of simplicity, an hei provides that in spades.

Bear in mind I'm only suggesting keeping the electronics because I've assumed the whole reason the OP is doing this is to eliminate the ECM as he eluded to.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
It would replace complicated electronics with much simpler ones. Personally I think there's a reason points ignitions went the way of the dodo. You can get a much better ignition with improved reliability if you use quality parts. Considering the number of people that run electronic ignitions without issue I personally don't see going to points being a reliability thing. If its a matter of simplicity, an hei provides that in spades.

Bear in mind I'm only suggesting keeping the electronics because I've assumed the whole reason the OP is doing this is to eliminate the ECM as he eluded to.
WTGR, the ECM is indeed wired into the Duraspark electronic ignition at the moment but does not have to be.

The Nutter bypass just cuts and twists the wires together to put the sensor back into direct communication with the Duraspark module without going through the ECM to be distorted. Simpler than buying a new ignition and distributor and wiring up a 12V source of sufficient amperage.

Putting points in is possible but will be a fair bit of work or require the purchase of a new distributor. I can recall points and they were a PITA in the day.

As to the carb, the old one can be made to work without its electronic leash. If it is in good condition, does not leak etc it could soldier on for years. P

Personally I would spend the cash and put a shiny Gucci Weber 38 under there, having struggled with a 30 year old Carter BBD for years. If I coudl I woud retain the TAC, there is an adapter plate for it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I agree with everyone so far about the Nutter bypass and also agree with questioning going all the way back to the days of points and condensers.

If you're worried about an EMF nuclear blast, I wouldn't; round 2 would only be minutes away. Even if the Jeep survived, you won't. (nice thought, huh?)

You don't need a computer for electronic ignition and the benefits far outweigh any disadvantages that may come with it. Once they're in, (and they're painless to install) you're pretty much set except for the occasional spark plug change.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
If you're worried about an EMF nuclear blast..
I was wondering if this thread would turn to this topic. If EMP is the concern, you do have a couple of options:
  1. Install an HEI system and keep a stash of replacement parts in a highly shielded location for use in the future.
  2. Install an HEI system now, and gather all of the parts for a points system. Install it in the future if needed.
Either way, you get the advantage of a modern ignition system today and you have made some plans for the future. Personally, the real problem would be availability of fuel after such an attack. If there's no gas then it doesn't matter if the Jeep runs or not
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

or swap with a diesel engine old school!!! no electronics and no old electric system also!!!
: 2thumbsup:
jacques25150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques25150
or swap with a diesel engine old school!!! no electronics and no old electric system also!!!
: 2thumbsup:
X2! So far what I plan to do once my 258 conks out.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
84bluecj7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't mind the old points system. I ran them in my old corvettes for years with no issues, so I think I still want to go that way. What distributor should I be looking for as a complete replacement? I don't mind buying new but I don't know what fits. As far as the existing carb, it runs fine and does not leak. How do I make it work without the leash? I am adept at most any repairs and or mods, but I am confident that there are many on here that have already gone down these paths and I don't want to reinvent the wheel (or jeep in this case), so I really appreciate all the help and instruction.

Jim
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Delco Remy made the distributor for the 1974 model year. That was the last year before electronics.

Going used? Gremlins, Hornets, Javelins and other AMCs used the same 258CID I-6 engine. So did IHC Scouts and full sized Jeeps. Same cam gear, all compatible.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Delco Remy made the distributor for the 1974 model year. That was the last year before electronics.

Going used? Gremlins, Hornets, Javelins and other AMCs used the same 258CID I-6 engine. So did IHC Scouts and full sized Jeeps. Same cam gear, all compatible.
Don't forget to scavenge the ballast resistor as well......
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
84bluecj7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the reminder. I would have forgotten to pick it up.

Anyone provide instructions on how to make the existing carb work without the ECM?
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
CSP

Go to Google and search on "Nutter conversion". I'd provide a link if I knew of one.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.