JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   "old school" conversion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/old-school-conversion-1573481/)

84bluecj7 09-09-2013 01:47 PM

"old school" conversion
 
I just purchased an '84 cj7 with a 4.2 - 4 speed and I would like to modify it "old school" to eliminate all electronics. I know I will need to change to a standard carbeurator and change the distributor to points and condensor. Any other changes I will need to do to eliminate the ECU?
Any recommendations on what carb to install? What year did the CJ's go to electronic ignition?

I am an old gear head but do not know anything about jeeps. This is going to be a hobby rebuild but I want to do it right and make it a dependable ride.

thanks in advance for your input.

Jim

jeepwhore 09-09-2013 01:53 PM

If you want simple just nutter it and put an HEI distributor in. Take you less time to swap in than converting back to points and give you a better ignition than what the old systems can provide. Coil and module in the cap, one wire hook up and remove all the wiring and vacuum lines associated with the old feed back carb. As for carbs, weber and MC2100 are the two most common swaps.

superj 09-09-2013 07:08 PM

A good old holley is a good carb on a 4.2 also. I did the same style retro set up in my 87 yj. Tons of wires removed and old school carb and intake. Runs solidly and good power. I haven't had any trouble since I did the swap/ mod either

Ken4444 09-09-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwhore (Post 15889570)
If you want simple just nutter it and put an HEI distributor in..

But he said he wants to eliminate the electronics. Wouldn't an HEI add electronics?

jeepwhore 09-09-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken4444

But he said he wants to eliminate the electronics. Wouldn't an HEI add electronics?

It would replace complicated electronics with much simpler ones. Personally I think there's a reason points ignitions went the way of the dodo. You can get a much better ignition with improved reliability if you use quality parts. Considering the number of people that run electronic ignitions without issue I personally don't see going to points being a reliability thing. If its a matter of simplicity, an hei provides that in spades.

Bear in mind I'm only suggesting keeping the electronics because I've assumed the whole reason the OP is doing this is to eliminate the ECM as he eluded to.

BagusJeep 09-09-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwhore (Post 15891083)
It would replace complicated electronics with much simpler ones. Personally I think there's a reason points ignitions went the way of the dodo. You can get a much better ignition with improved reliability if you use quality parts. Considering the number of people that run electronic ignitions without issue I personally don't see going to points being a reliability thing. If its a matter of simplicity, an hei provides that in spades.

Bear in mind I'm only suggesting keeping the electronics because I've assumed the whole reason the OP is doing this is to eliminate the ECM as he eluded to.

WTGR, the ECM is indeed wired into the Duraspark electronic ignition at the moment but does not have to be.

The Nutter bypass just cuts and twists the wires together to put the sensor back into direct communication with the Duraspark module without going through the ECM to be distorted. Simpler than buying a new ignition and distributor and wiring up a 12V source of sufficient amperage.

Putting points in is possible but will be a fair bit of work or require the purchase of a new distributor. I can recall points and they were a PITA in the day.

As to the carb, the old one can be made to work without its electronic leash. If it is in good condition, does not leak etc it could soldier on for years. P

Personally I would spend the cash and put a shiny Gucci Weber 38 under there, having struggled with a 30 year old Carter BBD for years. If I coudl I woud retain the TAC, there is an adapter plate for it.

WindKnot 09-10-2013 09:04 AM

I agree with everyone so far about the Nutter bypass and also agree with questioning going all the way back to the days of points and condensers.

If you're worried about an EMF nuclear blast, I wouldn't; round 2 would only be minutes away. Even if the Jeep survived, you won't. (nice thought, huh?)

You don't need a computer for electronic ignition and the benefits far outweigh any disadvantages that may come with it. Once they're in, (and they're painless to install) you're pretty much set except for the occasional spark plug change.

Ken4444 09-10-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindKnot (Post 15892762)
If you're worried about an EMF nuclear blast..

I was wondering if this thread would turn to this topic. If EMP is the concern, you do have a couple of options:
  1. Install an HEI system and keep a stash of replacement parts in a highly shielded location for use in the future.
  2. Install an HEI system now, and gather all of the parts for a points system. Install it in the future if needed.
Either way, you get the advantage of a modern ignition system today and you have made some plans for the future. Personally, the real problem would be availability of fuel after such an attack. If there's no gas then it doesn't matter if the Jeep runs or not :)

jacques25150 09-10-2013 01:49 PM

or swap with a diesel engine old school!!! no electronics and no old electric system also!!!
: 2thumbsup:

Neuner-9R 09-10-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacques25150
or swap with a diesel engine old school!!! no electronics and no old electric system also!!!
: 2thumbsup:

X2! So far what I plan to do once my 258 conks out.

84bluecj7 09-10-2013 03:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't mind the old points system. I ran them in my old corvettes for years with no issues, so I think I still want to go that way. What distributor should I be looking for as a complete replacement? I don't mind buying new but I don't know what fits. As far as the existing carb, it runs fine and does not leak. How do I make it work without the leash? I am adept at most any repairs and or mods, but I am confident that there are many on here that have already gone down these paths and I don't want to reinvent the wheel (or jeep in this case), so I really appreciate all the help and instruction.

Jim

WindKnot 09-10-2013 04:16 PM

Delco Remy made the distributor for the 1974 model year. That was the last year before electronics.

Going used? Gremlins, Hornets, Javelins and other AMCs used the same 258CID I-6 engine. So did IHC Scouts and full sized Jeeps. Same cam gear, all compatible.

jeepdaddy2000 09-12-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindKnot (Post 15894393)
Delco Remy made the distributor for the 1974 model year. That was the last year before electronics.

Going used? Gremlins, Hornets, Javelins and other AMCs used the same 258CID I-6 engine. So did IHC Scouts and full sized Jeeps. Same cam gear, all compatible.

Don't forget to scavenge the ballast resistor as well......

84bluecj7 09-13-2013 03:13 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I would have forgotten to pick it up.

Anyone provide instructions on how to make the existing carb work without the ECM?

CSP 09-13-2013 03:55 PM

Go to Google and search on "Nutter conversion". I'd provide a link if I knew of one.


The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.