"Old Sarge" CJ7 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > "Old Sarge" CJ7 Build Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

"Old Sarge" CJ7 Build Thread

Hey!

This is going to be an ongoing thread, updates will be made as they happen.

So, the story so far is I wanted a Jeep, naturally. I owned a 1995 Acura Integra, and no cash, well a little anyway. After many mothes of seaching, (and not really knowing what I was was searching for) I found a guy who said he would trade his Jeep for my car, straight up. In the pictures the thing loked huge. I thought it was a good deal. I just had to go get it, and over the course of the next couple days, got the truck, trailer, and other stuff lined up.

We meet this guy at his shop, it was in Ovid, NY, and he's on a bike, so we blast to his buddies house, where the Jeep was. We rounded the corner and there it was. It looked huge, and it was. Heh. Thats when the guy started it up, and had a pretty difficult time doing so, I started to worry. I was like "Oh, crap, what did I just do." Then as he was lookign over my car, and rudely ripping it down the road, he told me maybe not because I hadn't told him EVERYTHING with the car. But then I went to the Jeep and slammed the door, which promptly dropped an inch, saying,"neither did you!"

Anywho he go the Jeep on the trailer, one of those long U-Haul joints, and had to run right over the fenders to get on. The tires hung off either side about 4-5 inches! A 3 hour drive and we were home. And so began
the learning process.

This is the car I traded fo the Jeep, as it was being taken there.

This is the pic the P/O sent me.

This si before I did a thing to it.

This is when I finally got it cleaned up and the top off.

So in the mean time I have moved to a new house with a garage(!), so right now it is in the like this: top off, windshield, fornt grill, side fenders, hood, tailgate, doors, all hardware, dash, seats, hell, everything down to a bare tub.

The engine, a Chevy 305, is mostly disconnected. The tranny is still attached, a T-176. A Dana 300 is lying on the floor, along with a huge pile of undestined parts.

Next I will show some pictures of what I have done.

Unread 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow that thing is big,what size tires does it have?
26679cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Nice Jeep!!!

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
djui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

chevy axels? - SOA with a 6+ in shackel lift? - holy unstable

mabey I am wrong
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

Full width axles gonna need some pretty wide flares to be street legal. Its got potential, I like it!
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
wow that thing is big,what size tires does it have?
They are 39.5" Super Swamper TSL's.

The axles are from a Ford Bronco, or at least if they were originally together, they are. The front is a Dana 44, no idea what is inside yet though it is most likely stock. The rear is a Ford 9-inch rear. Also, don't know whats inside.

The springs are on top of the axles, and there are ridiculously sized shackles front and rear. Yes, I do plan to remove them and use something much shorter and sturdy.

This is bad- Of the shocks (4) 3 are intact, 1 is not. On the 2 remaining shocks, the piston rod(?) is bent. There are proper shock mounts on the frame, however that is not so on the axles. The P/O used large u-bolts to hold the knob of the shock to the axle. However effective, it is not road legal.

So, I need new shock mounts, springs, shocks, shackles,and all associated hardware. I suppose I could order a kit, but will it include EVERYTHING? And I don't have a welder, but I do know a guy, but then I'd have to pay him, and although he does excellent work and could probably fab up alot of stuff that I wouldn't have to buy.

Another Issue that will have to be taken care of is the steering. I believe the steering box is the stock Jeep one, however from there it gets bad. The P/O had someone made up a crude steering arm, and again, while functional, it is not road legal, so I will have to devise a way for the steering rod to go in between the springs and frame, and to the knuckle.

This is the front Dana 44:

This is the Ford 9-inch rear:

Ridiculous steering which has to be fixed:

The engine, a Chevy 305:
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I like how he had u-bolts holding the shocks to the axles

Yes, this has potenial. Good luck with the build and do it right the first time
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

looks like you got quite the project there

have fun with that

haha

SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
trailridin4x4x4
1981 CJ7 

loving those front shackles, i'd throw a painless wiring kit at that jeep for starters that engine compartment is all wiring wasn't sure there was a motor in there at first glance, 9" rear 44 front good start.
trailridin4x4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Looks like you've got some cool toys to play with there.

Definitely going to be a project correcting all those issues. Do it once, do it right!
attworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

Old Sarge Part 2

I have spent today putting on a new roof, and when I got tired of that, taking stuff off the Jeep. This is a list of stuff I removed. Nothing great, but they are steps forward.

Front shocks
Tow hook
Front drum brakes and all the crap inside
Assorted bit here and there.

Also I found out why my body sat so high. The P/O used, get this, HOCKEY PUCKS for a body lift.
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7Sswampers View Post
Also I found out why my body sat so high. The P/O used, get this, HOCKEY PUCKS for a body lift.
it's a redneck secret
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
justjeeps

Quote:
I used to know several Jeepers who used up to three hockey pucks to get a three inch body lift. They seemed to work okay.
justjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

I am going to the garage now, I've got my axle's off, I'll have pics in a bit.
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

Old Sarge Part 3

Like I said before, I removed my axles. I had to take off the whack hi-steer bracket, and I used a grinder to cut the tie rods off at the right places.

Heres the pile of crap.

This is the drivers side upper shock mount. The paasenger side looks like this only reversed. They will be ground off, and new, taller ones welded on.

This little doo-dad, I believe needs to be removed before I can take out the axle shaft.

This is the drivers side front axle knuckle.

This is me, taking the nuts off of the u-bolts. It was late at night.

This is my "block" lift in action. I will pull the axle out from under the jeep shortly after this shot.

This is the front axle, it is a Dana 44.

It will get new spring perches.

The strap is going through the hole and it is holding the tranny and the back of the engine up.

I put a jack under the oil pan of the engine and picked it up enough to slide the mount bolts out. Had I set it down then though, it would have hung up on the engine mounts. So I ground them off and dropped the engine.

Thats all for now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.