Old Man Emu vs Rubicon Express standard duty 2.5" springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man Emu vs Rubicon Express standard duty 2.5" springs

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
sevensandeights

Old Man Emu vs Rubicon Express standard duty 2.5" springs

OK - I got some quotes back and now I need to make a decision so I can get some parts ordered for my Scrambler project!

The Rubicon Express RE1432 extreme duty springs are discontinued and there is no plan to bring them back. They still male the RE1430 standard duty spring and the only significant difference is that the extreme duty had 6 leafs and the standard duty have 5 leafs. Both have military wrap leafs. I have not read much about the standard duty springs but have read a lot of positive things about the extreme duty version. I can get the RE1430 standard duty springs with bushings for $425 delivered.

The Old Man Emu CSO36R springs are also 5 leaf but NOT have military wrap leafs. Everything I have read about these springs has been overwhelmingly positive. The only downside is axle wrap concerns in a spring over application - which is a possibility for me in the distant future. I can get these delivered with bushings for about $475.

What would you do?

sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I have the rubicon express springs in a SOA application. These are the second set of springs that I used and significantly reduced axel wrap. I am a fan.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
sevensandeights

Do you know if you have the RE1430 "standard duty" or RE1432 "extreme duty"? How is the ride and flex?
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I am not sure, I think it is a 5 spring pack but I can check. I have 1.5" yj spring over springs and they ride and flex great.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
sevensandeights

I just ordered a bunch of parts to get this project started!

I went with the OME springs (PN: CSO36R), they are a heavy duty rear spring that I will use front and rear. Since nobody recommended the OME or RE springs for future SOA use, I picked the OME based on ride quality/durability reviews form many other web forums.

I also ordered HD greaseable shackles/bushings from M.O.R.E. along with their HD steering box bracket, brace, and HD rear shackle hangers for YJ (YJ springs use 1.25" bushings compared to 1" for CJs).

I worked with Steve at M.O.R.E and he was very helpful. He knew all about the different spring widths and bushing issues between CJs and YJs and pieced together a SRS kit for me since I already had some of the parts. He even gave me a 20% discount on nearly all the parts listed above!
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think you're going to be happy with your choice.

What shocks did your order?

Are you doing the install yourself? Let us know if you have any questions. I just installed the same suspension on my '81 CJ7 and absolutely LOVE it!!

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
sevensandeights

Didn't order shocks yet - I bought a rolling 1986 CJ7 chasis with the Dana 44 rear axle and it has some Rancho RS5000's on it so I am going to see how those measure up. There appears to be stock CJ springs on the chasis though so most likely these shocks won't work.

This summer I also bought a near mint CJ8 frame to replace the rotted out frame on my 1981 CJ8. The plan is to build and swap the WT 1986 axles and OME suspension with M.O.R.E. SRS onto the new frame and then swap the rest of the drivetrain and body from my 1981 CJ8. I am also going to swap the taller 1986 front shock towers onto the CJ8 frame so I am not sure what shocks will be best. I will most likely cycle the suspension from full droop to full compression and take measurements to figure out what shocks to get. I don't care about which brand as long as they are the correct length.

I will be doing this myself over the winter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.