Old Man EMU Lift - one side higher than other - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU Lift - one side higher than other

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Davidpsalt
1976 CJ5 

Old Man EMU Lift - one side higher than other

Ok - I dropped big coin to go with a 2.5 inch lift with the Old Man EMU lift for my 76 CJ5 and I did the YJ conversion springs on the front - CSO14F (heavy duty as I am carrying a Warn 8274 winch on front) and the CSO37R (medium duty on the back as I have the soft top).

I also put all new greasable shackles all the way around and the driver side of my jeep is 1 inch lower in the front and 1.5 Inches lower on the rear.

Everything is installed properly however 3 of the four leaf springs have the plus sign (+) towards the front and the drivers side rear spring has a "O" instead of a (+) sign. Also,

the driver side spring has these markings: + CSO37R Old Man EMU 10AS08 the Passenger side has these markings: O CSO37R Old Man EMU 4A08

I am guessing they may have either mis marked and/or shipped me the wrong spring that is installed on the drivers side rear due to the O instead of + .

I don't know what the 10AS08 vs. 4A08 numbers mean.

Anyone have any advice here?

Davidpsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Cantilope
1972 CJ5 

The plus should be at the shackle. So in the front the plus is forward, and in the back they are in rear. I'd check to see if one isn't flipped. I'll check my numbers but I need to wash off some dirt, and I am still having my coffee.
Cantilope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Davidpsalt
1976 CJ5 

If that is the case, my fronts are installed correctly - the rears are not. The spring on the passenger side rear (higher side) the + sign is not on the shacle side rather it is facing the front near the frame mount. The rear driver's side spring does not have a + sign ... rather it is an "O" which is facing the front frame mount and not the shackle - maybe I have two problems. Passenger side rear needs to be flipped around and the drivers side spring is the wrong spring.

I am currious to see if your rear springs have matching numbers - not the CSO37R numbers. The ones that are 10ASO8 and the 4A08

Enjoy your coffee!!!

Last edited by Davidpsalt; 03-13-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Cantilope
1972 CJ5 

Mine are not the same numbers as yours. I have a YJ spring installed on a pre-76 CJ on each corner with a CSO36R. I do not have a 0 on any of my springs. I agree your rears should match one another. Mine do not have the second number or they have been rubbed off. I'll look through some old pics when I installed them.
Cantilope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Davidpsalt
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the info. This is a big help. I purchased the kit from 4WD Parts and their brick and mortor store did the installation. I need to take it back to them and have them order a set of rear springs that match and install them with the + sign towards the rear shackles!

Thanks again.

Dave

Last edited by Davidpsalt; 03-13-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
fracj7

I have the same set up, my springs are the HD (CS036R?) OME "dakar", my jeep is a RDH '84 cj7, soft top, 4.2 6cyl,Rocky Road yj conversion kit (hagers and shackles),soft top.
rear right side is lower than the left side of approx 3/4 of an inch. Note that driver and D300 transfer case are on the same side on my cj (RHD), also the tyre carrier is mounted on the right side, this in my opinion will contribute to my rear right spring to sag.
An OME expert at ARB suggested me to try their leveling kit, basically 2 spacers to install under the front and rear left spring (from memory), basically it did not solved the problem, he said that it's a frame related problem most of the time, frame can be a bit offset or twisted...In my opinion it's a springs related problem, they should be match in pairs...
I installed a pair of OME extra leafs at the front (coz was way lower) and I'll probably do the same at the rear if it get worst, plus I'll try to swap left to right..
The "+" or "-" symbols identify a spring that has a sligthly higher or lower load rate/under load height or something like that, that's what I been told by the seller who pointed me to "+" springs on all 4 corners, the + or - could help to match a set of springs... "0" should be neutral or std rate for that spring model,
I suggest you to break-in the springs for a while, take 'em off and measure the arc height of the springs, write it on the springs, then move the higher (should be also a "+") on the driver side.
with a winch installed I'll consider to run an extra leaf to level with the rear, I think it's a matter of swapping them around...an a bit of luck..

hope to help,
fracj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
fracj7

you should also have 2 different bushing sizes, the biggest size goes on the spring hanger the other size is the shackles side, you can't go wrong
fracj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Davidpsalt
1976 CJ5 

You would think for the amount of money I paid and the research that goes into the Old Man EMU setup for HD, medium, hard top vs Softtop, etc. etc. etc. that they would go on and be level.

I have driven it for 4 months although it is not my daily driver and I am still 1.5 inches higher on one rear side over the other.

My hope is that by flipping the one spring and getting a matching spring on the other side that that will do the trick.

Thanks for your help and I will post back once I take it in next week.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.