Old Man Emu lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man Emu lift kit

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

Old Man Emu lift kit

I've been researching lift kits the last few weeks, and decided to go all out. I've heard nothing but good on the OME kits. I had big plans to install it this weekend, but UPS had other thoughts. One spring decided to take a trip to New Mexico instead of coming here with the other three. The hardware kit was missisng a couple of pieces also. I have enough parts to do 3/4ths of it, so I may just tackle that this weekend.

If anyone has done this kit and has any advise, I'd really like to hear it.

Mike T.

station10fd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

I've been looking at this same kit, curious who you purchased it from?

The install should be straight forward, to bad about the missing parts. Let us know how it all turns out.

Good Luck.......
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
wertyu78
1986 CJ7 

Is it a stock replacement or does it lift the jeep any? What'd you pay for it?
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
I've been looking at this same kit, curious who you purchased it from?

The install should be straight forward, to bad about the missing parts. Let us know how it all turns out.

Good Luck.......
I got it from quadratec. When I start, I'll take plenty of pictures, I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way. I went with the medium spring rating on all four corners.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
Is it a stock replacement or does it lift the jeep any? What'd you pay for it?
it's the 2 1/2 lift, and I gave a crapload for it, over 1400. OME isn't the cheapest by far, but I've read too many good things about them and only wanted to do this once.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

I did the two inch spring over on my scrambler about ten years ago. It did great and after about a year of breaking in they became extremely soft which was nice for wheeling and on road driving. Unfortunately I didn't have a traction bar in the back and started to bend them up a bit.
I recently went through and tried to do a replacement but OME recommended not getting the springs and going spring over as they are not designed for it. I changed direction and went with the rubicon express 1.5 spring over springs. Hopefully they will be comparable to my old OME.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

More cash than I thought but I've read it will sure ride better. Post a few pics when you round up the parts for install.
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

I got a little work done tonight. Removed all the shocks, disconnected steering stabilizer and sway bar. Removed drivers side front spring. It is no wonder I couldn't get rid of the last of my shimmy's and wiggling in the front end, most of the bushings are shot and the steering damper is completly useless.

Picture before I started. I took measurements on all 4 corners, and I have a one inch "jeep lean" to the drivers side, hopefully things wills straighten up. I do have a one inch body lift on.

the new emu beside the old and wore out. Tomorrow I"ll try and get the 3 of the four springs I have done, then wait for the last spring to show up monday.
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

This is good stuff, keep those pics coming!!
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

This thread came at the perfect time because I am researching new springs for my CJ5 and EMU was at the top of my list. I cant waite to here about the ride quality and height change to your Jeep.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

Spent most of the day working on the lift. I started with the drivers side front. The biggest pain was drilling out the rivets where the new shackle mounts go. I used a rotozip to cut the head off, then drilled it out and punched the remaining out.

After I got that side done, and was standing back admiring my work, I realized I forgot to put the steering damper bracket on. So off came the axel again to put the mount on.

Working on the drivers side rear, the shock is positioned slightly different, so the muffler was in the way. Out came the sawzall, and no more muffler. Time to spend more money at the muffler shop.

I had to notch out the underside of the front bumper where the new shackle holder is located. I'm now waiting on the remaining front spring to show up tomorrow. It's looking like I'm going to get well over 3 inches of lift. I ordered new shackles, I assumed they were going to be stock length, but I got ones that were an inch longer, so there's a half inch of extra lift. I may go back to stock length later.

Unread 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

It's done!

Got her finished and all torked down to specs. Here's the before.

A few after shots.

measurements before lift....
LF to the bumper 20 1/8 RF 21 1/8
LR to the body 25 3/8 RR 25 7/8

measurements after lift.....

FL 23 5/8 FR 24 1/8
LR 29 5/8 RR 29 5/8

So, I pretty much gained 3 inches in the front, and 4 inches in the back.
The good news is my "jeep lean" is now gone, I"m within 1/8 inch of being level now Much better than the one inch lean I had to begin with.

One the first test drive, I got to 20mph, and it got all squirlley, lets take it back and torque the shackle botls....DUH! After that, took it back on the road, and it's much better, but it's still wandering more that it has been. So off to the front end shop and had them give me some numbers.

My caster is off, so now I know what kind of shims to purchase to hopefully take care of my wandering and non return to center issues.

All in all the ride is 100% better, not a cadillac drive, but much smoother than it was.

When I get the shims installed, I'll write back one more time and give final thoughts.

Mike T.
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for putting in the time and pictures for those of us who planning on this same mod. I have my Quadratec catalog opened to the page with the Old Man Emu kits, just need to save a little more before I can pull the trigger and place my order.

I'm looking forward to your final thoughts once the shims are installed.

Great Job

Unread 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

What kind of shackles are you running up front to cause the caster to be only 2.2°? Factory setting should be anywhere from 4°-6°.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

keith, when I ordered the kit, I asked if they came with shackles, he said no. So I said send me a set. The ones he sent were one inch longer than stock. I don't know if YJ shackels are longer than CJ shackels. That is one thing that I failed to research in depth. I have no idea if 1/2 inch of shackel lift would cause the caster to drop to 2.2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.