Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #91
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Nice.......who needs coil springs......

85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #92
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Matt,

under extreme compression don't you have other limiting factors such as your tire hitting your wheel well or your bump stops limiting you from buckling? This picture is about as extreme as I can get without rolling over...I have a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift and swaybar disconnects...I suspect you would be able to get the same or possibly more...I scored 634 on the RTI ramp....
Agreed. But I think your picture (which is way cool, btw) illustrates what I'm talking about.

Look at your front shackle. It's nearly horizontal from the compression. It doesn't take much imagination to visualize how it would look if that shackle was mounted further back.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I think the guys hoping to avoid moving the front shackles, while using the OME springs, are being a little lazy and foolish.

I could be wrong.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #93
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I think the guys hoping to avoid moving the front shackles, while using the OME springs, are being a little lazy and foolish.

I could be wrong.

Matt
Just asking questions and getting the facts before I dive off into the new suspension. I am rebuilding and/or replacing just about everything on my CJ-5... certainly not being "lazy" about anything... "foolish I could be wrong." Yeah, Matt, I think you are definitely wrong! This has been a great thread, thanks to all who have contributed, I have learned a lot… but come on don’t knock my head off for asking questions. If moving the spring mounts forward is the best thing to do, then that’s what I will do.

"lazy and foolish" my ***!!!

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #94
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

I think he was making a fairly general statement, no need to get upset. I believe the OME springs are roughly an inch longer than stock from eye to eye, and drilling out a couple rivets is simple in the scheme of things. No brainer imo. THIS DOESNT MEAN I DONT THINK YOU HAVE A BRAIN.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #95
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

commadore64,

I meant no offense, nor disrespect, towards you, personally. I realize you are only gathering info.

I should have spoke more towards the self-proclaimed "experts", who are selling these setups as a direct bolt on to the CJ. I believe that advice is driven by the desire to sell more springs/kits, and not necessarily sound mechanical advice.

But, again, I'm just one man with an opinion.

Matt
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #96
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Matt - Keep in mind you have stock shackles on there. Now imagine a 2" longer shackle (for 1" of lift) with either the stock mounting point or the rivet point 1" further forward. Both cases would still have the shackle at a less horiz. angle than yours because the spring can only get so long at it's flat-est flex. The rear is anchored.
Point being that when the stock shackle is used you may be best suited to move the mount forward, but folks with longer shackles have no need to. This is why we have conflicting reports of whether it needs done or not. Then on top of that some use the longer yj front springs while others use the rears all around. So an apples to apples scenario can't always be assumed.
So laziness and foolishness have nothing to do with it. A lazy person would just stick cj springs back on. A fool wouldn't do his research before purchasing parts.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #97
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Renegade82,

Good point about the longer shackles providing a less horizontal shackle position under compression.

Does the "Rock Equipment Granite Kit", have longer shackles included? It's difficult to tell from the picture, but I don't see any. If it doesn't, then I still think they are doing potential buyers a disservice by advertising their kit as a direct bolt-on.

The reason I chose to use the stock shackles is my research showed that a 2.5" lift on a CJ(which is truly what you get with the OME springs) was about the maximum lift you can use without running into steering geometry problems and possible driveshaft issues. I didn't want any addition shackle lift. I also like keeping as much original stuff on the Ol' Girl as possible.

The other thing to consider is that, even though the eye-to-eye length is just 1" longer on the YJ springs, they also have 8-10" more flex, which means they have a deeper arc, and the longest leaf is more than just an inch longer than stock. I wish I would have measure the actual arc with a flexible tape, before I installed them, to determine exactly how much longer they are when compressed.

Many ways to skin this cat, I suppose.

Matt
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #98
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I am no suspension expert by any means and I do have a little longer shackles than stock and my Crabtree hangers are in the stock position. I don't know the length of my springs vs. Matt's. Having said that, this thread has been insightful for anyone looking to do a suspension lift whether it be OME or otherwise. If one were to decide on OME as the best way to go than this thread becomes invaluable.

So, with that said, keep up with the questions, offer insight and then come to your own conclusions! Thanks for starting it...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #99
fcb212003
1983 CJ7 

So what shackles are the best ones to get? I’m assuming the OK4WD kit has the shorter CJ shackles because they talk about having to move them an inch forward and cutting a notch in the bumper. I’m trying to do research “the right way” of doing the lift. I fear that I will be all done and wished I went with the longer shackles or visa versa. I’m not looking for the easy way at all. I am just looking for the best way of doing this.

Thanks again for keeping this a kick a** thread!
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #100
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb212003 View Post
So what shackles are the best ones to get? I’m assuming the OK4WD kit has the shorter CJ shackles because they talk about having to move them an inch forward and cutting a notch in the bumper. I’m trying to do research “the right way” of doing the lift. I fear that I will be all done and wished I went with the longer shackles or visa versa. I’m not looking for the easy way at all. I am just looking for the best way of doing this.

Thanks again for keeping this a kick a** thread!
Going by the picture, I don't see any shackles in the OK4wd kit, but I haven't found their parts list, either.

If they don't include longer shackles, their advertising implies you can use the stock shackles without moving the mounts forward. I think that's a mistake, personally.

Matt

Edit: I just read the OK4wd instructions. Low and behold they DO instruct to move the shackle mounts forward. So, I guess we all agree that's the proper way to do it.

Sheesh....what the heck have we been debating for 2 pages?
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #101
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
I meant no offense, nor disrespect, towards you, personally. I realize you are only gathering info.

Matt
Thanks Matt, No harm, no foul... it was just a general question. I personally think that moving the hangers forward may actually contribute to the better ride quality which is what I am looking for. When all is said and done, my Jeep will probably see way more paved roads than trails, so the ride quality is the most important thing to me.

I would like to use Crabtree’s hangers, so it would be better for me to order everything piece-meal. With that said, does anyone know who has the best price on OME springs? I think Rocky Road has them for about $95 each… anyone find a better price?

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #102
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

They don't include the shackles in the kit. They recommend using the OE YJ shackle, which is 1" longer than a OE CJ shackle, resulting in an extra .5" of lift.........while keeping everything in geometrical order. This is what I am doing. I got my YJ shackles for free, took a wire wheel to them and some chassis primer and chassis black and they look brand new.
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #103
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

I really don't want any more that the 2.5" lift of the springs... can I use stock height CJ shackles (rears for example) with the OME springs?

Unread 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #104
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

85LaredoCJ7,

Isn't it amazing how easily you can make some of this 30-year old crap look nice?

If you realize a specific benefit to the longer shackles when you are done, I may go that route. Until then, I'm pleased with the way the stocks are working.

I'm still pacing the floor waiting for my last (2) shocks to arrive....

Matt
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #105
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
I really don't want any more that the 2.5" lift of the springs... can I use stock height CJ shackles (rears for example) with the OME springs?
Yes
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.