Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #76
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Getting ready to do the EMU 2.5" lift myself. Think I will go with the "heavy duty" option since I am installing a 351W. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference in the rear and front OME springs in length? I heard one time that there is a slight difference in length and if you used four rear springs, you would not have to do the front rivet mod. Anyone know anything about this?
I am doing all four CSO36R. And I do believe that they are all the same length (front same as rear and vice versa). The reason I chose to go rear heavy at all corners was like you.....V8, plus a heavy winch. Maybe Matt can confirm.....

85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #77
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I wouldn't worry too much about extended lines Matt. That pic you posted of the Yellow CJ may be using the same OME lift but it's also set up SOA. I'd be greatly surprised if your SUA lift flexed that much.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #78
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

OK, I couldn't take it any more, so I had to fire up the Ol' Girl and take her for a spin....

Despite no front shocks, the ride difference is, as Erik said earlier, profound!!

The first thing I noticed was the springy, but not stiff ride. I think the front shocks will take a little of the bounciness out of the front, but even without, my Jeep rides smoother than it ever has in the 20 years I've owned her!!

My molars no longer rattle out over the washboard, and cornering is improved with less body lean. Though my steering wheel is now about 1/8 turn off, my alignment feels pretty darn close....it tracks and brakes straight, and returns to center nicely.

Overall, I'm very, very pleased, despite the headaches involved with 4WD.com.

Here are a few before/after shots.

Matt
before1.jpg   after1.jpg   before2.jpg   after2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #79
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Ok.....we want to see flex
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #80
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Holy fleximoly, Batman!!

Should I go for the fourth step on my retaining wall?
after4.jpg   after5.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #81
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

F-yeah....!!! Can you get a close up pic of the rear tire fully tucked so I can see how muchnroom you have before rubbing?
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #82
nc84scram

I am planning to do the OME 2.5. Since I saw where Quadratech sells the kit for the CJ but 4wd did not, I called OME. The told me that a set up was available for the OME 2.5 CJ. The guy at OME gave me the name and number (cannot fint it right now) of a company who buys the parts from them, adds in the necessary convesion parts and and sells it as a kit. I remember pricing it out and it was in line with Quadratech and the guys at this place were jeep heads---not uninformed guys sitting infront of an LCD screen and then driving home a civic.
---------Found it http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-category/li...anite-kit.html
nc84scram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #83
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
F-yeah....!!! Can you get a close up pic of the rear tire fully tucked so I can see how muchnroom you have before rubbing?

For you, buddy, absolutely.

You'll have to wait until tomorrow, however, since the Ol' Girl is back in the barn for the evening.

I think I'm going for 32"s when this set is toast. 33's will work, I believe, but I don't want to sacrifice performance, especially in the mountains around here.

Matt
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #84
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Your the man....and good job. Can't wait till mine is done. I am thinking 32x11.50.....but if 33x10.50 will work....I may go for those. I am running 4.56 gears and a 360, so it doesn't really matter to me. Just like the look of a tall, thin tire on a CJ.
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #85
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

hey, Matt...much better looking, kudos on a job well done!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #86
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Getting ready to do the EMU 2.5" lift myself. Think I will go with the "heavy duty" option since I am installing a 351W. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference in the rear and front OME springs in length? I heard one time that there is a slight difference in length and if you used four rear springs, you would not have to do the front rivet mod. Anyone know anything about this?
You are correct. In talking to TR at ARB / OME, he referred me to Mike at OK4WD as being the yj spring conversion guru. So I talked to Mike and they designed their Rock Equipment Granite conversion kit using the OME springs. The rear springs are 44" eye to eye and he's never had to shift the mount forward. I'm opting to use the heavy rears (36R's)on all 4 corners since I have a winch up front and a hardtop is on it 9 months of the year. Shackle length will also play a part because it can change the geometry to lessen the effects of a 1" longer spring, which is what I hear the front yj springs are.
http://ok4wd.com/rock-equipment-granite-kit.html
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #87
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc84scram View Post
I am planning to do the OME 2.5. Since I saw where Quadratech sells the kit for the CJ but 4wd did not, I called OME. The told me that a set up was available for the OME 2.5 CJ. The guy at OME gave me the name and number (cannot fint it right now) of a company who buys the parts from them, adds in the necessary convesion parts and and sells it as a kit. I remember pricing it out and it was in line with Quadratech and the guys at this place were jeep heads---not uninformed guys sitting infront of an LCD screen and then driving home a civic.
---------Found it http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-category/li...anite-kit.html
Yes sir.....got a lot of my info and parts from OK.....and with some direction from TR Burris from ARB.......and a lot of late night Google sessions and coffee
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #88
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

FYI, I used the OME YJ heavy rear springs all around on my '81 CJ7 narrow track for the same reasons stated above...hard top, doors, and winch most of the time.

They are longer than the stock CJ fronts, and almost identical to the stock rears.

You could probably get away with not moving the front shackle mounts, but I would be concerned about possible buckling.

i would recommend removing the frame rivets and moving the front shackles forward...even though it's a PITA.

Matt
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #89
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

To clarify my above statement, take a look at the front passenger shackle under a moderate compression situation.

Now, imagine the angle of that shackle, if the shackle mount was 1" further back.

Now, imagine the angle if it was 1" further back and under extreme compression.

I hope that's clear.

Matt
shacklefles.jpg  
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #90
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
To clarify my above statement, take a look at the front passenger shackle under a moderate compression situation.

Now, imagine the angle of that shackle, if the shackle mount was 1" further back.

Now, imagine the angle if it was 1" further back and under extreme compression.

I hope that's clear.

Matt
Matt,

under extreme compression don't you have other limiting factors such as your tire hitting your wheel well or your bump stops limiting you from buckling? This picture is about as extreme as I can get without rolling over...I have a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift and swaybar disconnects...I suspect you would be able to get the same or possibly more...I scored 634 on the RTI ramp....
rti.jpg  
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.