Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #646
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Hmmmm..... I wonder if you could use CSO14F in all 4. This would give a little less of a lift but still get the ride. Any issues this that?
I'm not sure why anyone would want a softer ride than the 36Rs provide. Compared to the stock springs, they ride like a Cadillac.

That said, I have no experience with the softer 14F springs, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #647
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would want a softer ride than the 36Rs provide. Compared to the stock springs, they ride like a Cadillac.

That said, I have no experience with the softer 14F springs, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Matt
Thanks Matt. I value your advice. I was just wondering.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #648
sjc115

Matt: Thanks for the input. Makes sense now.
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #649
sjc115

FWIW...

I ended up taking this one step further and wanted to share what I found. Quadratec sells the CS014F as a 2.5" Lift spring (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5032.htm) which got me wondering if there was more info to be had. So, I emailed ARB and asked for specs. I got a very prompt reply with some good info. Here is what I got:

Hi Steve-
The springs you are inquiring about are Jeep Wrangler YJ application. We have 3 springs available. CS036R, CS037R, and CS014F. Technically the 36R and 37R are rear spring applications and the 14F is the front, but plenty of people use them on all 4 corners. The rates, leaf count and arch are as follows.

CS036R- Rate- 188 lbf/in, 5 leaf, 205mm free camber.
CS037R- 188 ,5 leaf, 185mm free camber.
CS014F 148 , 4 leaf, 210mm free camber.
Best Regards,
ARB Technical Support Team
Air Locker, Inc.
425-264-1391
720 SW 34th St.
Renton, WA 98057
Tech@arbusa.com
www.arbusa.com

So basically the only difference between the 36R and the 14F is the spring rate (presumably because it has one less leaf, which also explains the cost difference). That would make the CS014F sag a little more making it seem like there was less lift. Which would result in the 'rake' that Glenn mentioned.

In a follow up question I was also told that the 'F' springs do not come with the caster correcting wedge. Not a big deal if anyone chooses to use the 14F since that gets replaced anyway.
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #650
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

anyone know what "free camber" is?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #651
sjc115

It is basically the height of the arch in the spring.
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #652
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

While were on the subject of free camber the 36r is 205mm which converts to 8.07 inches. Bds 3.5 inch springs state there 8 inches freestanding. How much lift should a guy expect from them in comparison? Why do the ome springs have more camber and less lift are they softer so they will compress more?
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #653
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I suspect the OME springs are softer. They are known for their comfortable ride qualities, and flex. I can certainly attest to that.

Matt
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #654
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its just wierd that they have more camber than a one inch taller spring
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #655
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

[
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #656
sjc115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
While were on the subject of free camber the 36r is 205mm which converts to 8.07 inches. Bds 3.5 inch springs state there 8 inches freestanding. How much lift should a guy expect from them in comparison? Why do the ome springs have more camber and less lift are they softer so they will compress more?

It is also possible that the BDS 'freestanding' measurement is a different measurement than 'free camber'. See link for the possible difference in measurements: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/rs105.htm
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #657
nacheswheelin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
It is also possible that the BDS 'freestanding' measurement is a different measurement than 'free camber'. See link for the possible difference in measurements: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/rs105.htm
Based on the pictures then the free camber is basically half of the free standing height. Since the two measurements (from bds, ome) are both close to eight inches that would make the ome spring twice the height. When I called bds they gave me a free standing measurement of 8 inches the ome spring has a camber of 8 inches. Technically it would be larger than the bds spring. None of this makes any sense to me the measurements have to be taken from the same place. I imagine the guy at bds gave me the wrong measurement. I am going to call bds and ask for the camber measurement then I will post it up.

Edit-
I just got off of the phone with bds and they told me their camber is measured at 7 1/2 inches so with ome being 8.07 inches technically out of the box they are a taller spring.
Unread 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #658
BuckleshootCJ5
1973 CJ5 

Anyone know if the 4 degree shims would be needed for a '73 CJ5, or...?

Just ordered all my stuff and there are quite a few differences in the "intermediate" kit from the stuff here. It hasn't arrived yet, so maybe the instructions will tell me this, but if anyone knows I'd like to order the shims now...

Any other tips from the intermediate crowd that have done this would be greatly appreciated!

And BTW, doing the Rocky Road SUA kit with the heavy rear 2 1/2 OME YJ springs all around. Still haven't decided on shocks...
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #659
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckleshootCJ5 View Post
Anyone know if the 4 degree shims would be needed for a '73 CJ5, or if the stock shims need reversing, or the shims stay the stock way?

Just ordered all my stuff and there are quite a few differences in the "intermediate" kit from the stuff here. It hasn't arrived yet, so maybe the instructions will tell me this, but if anyone knows I'd like to order the shims now...

Any other tips from the intermediate crowd that have done this would be greatly appreciated!

And BTW, doing the Rocky Road SUA kit with the heavy rear 2 1/2 OME YJ springs all around. Still haven't decided on shocks...
The heavy rear OME springs will have a 2 degree shim that will be backwards for the fronts, unless the supplier reverses them.

The safe bet is to install the springs with the provided shim (reversed on the fronts), have the alignment professionally checked, then make any necessary adjustments.

Matt
Unread 04-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #660
BuckleshootCJ5
1973 CJ5 

OK, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.