Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #631
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

hold,

If I were to do it again, I'd piece my suspension together. My kit had a bunch of unnecessary extra pieces, and a few necessary ones that were missing.

Good luck,

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #632
jetsnjeeps
1980 CJ5 

I Bought mine from Rocky Road Outfitters. Very complete kit with good instructions. Get the heavy duty rears if you have a full size spare and/or hard top.

http://www.rocky-road.com/cj-ome.html

Cheers!
jetsnjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #633
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Wow, what a great read! Combine this with GoJeepin’s suspension basics (38 pages long) and I cant help but wonder what knowledge I have forced out of my head to make room for all this new CJ Knowledge.... Hopefully nothing important!

I am starting with the stock suspension on my 1984 CJ-7, that rides like a bucket of fail, and the previous owner put brand new 33 inch tires on to make it oh so much worse. They don’t rub badly unless I disconnect the sway and really flex it, so any amount of lift will make the difference. I also do not fear going to some bigger bump stops if necessary.

A few questions, I am sure they were answered, Im just clarifying.
• I was unable to find the OME shocks for the CJ still available anywhere. (Except for as part of the ok4wds Granite kit) Do you know if they still exist?

• My boss has a hook up with ARB, he asked for an ARB part number and said he can get me a deal, so I found this Kit: Part Number ARB7686XH Looks like bushings and required bolts/sleeves are included. Is this kit missing anything aside from the Shocks and Shackles?
o Any YJ shackles should work, yes?
• If he doesn’t come through for whatever reason, I am going to order one of these: OK4WD Granite Kit with OME Springs OR Rocky Road OME kit I have heard questionable things about Rocky-Road and them getting the right parts delivered to you in a timely manner.
o If I buy the Rocky-Road kit, I could get the shorter CJ Length shackles if I didn’t want as much lift, or get longer bolts for my existing shackles, correct?
• Im not sure if I will be using YJ or CJ shackles yet, if I use the CJ shackles, then I need a 4 degree shim. If I use YJ Shackles, then I most likely need a transfer case drop kit and 6 degree shims. Is this correct?

• Lastly, I am going to get some sway bar disconnects. I didn’t find any by ARB, so I am getting this kit: Rubicon Express Sway Bar Disconnect Set. Do you suggest any other good mods (Steering braces ect) while its apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsnjeeps View Post
I Bought mine from Rocky Road Outfitters. Very complete kit with good instructions. Get the heavy duty rears if you have a full size spare and/or hard top.

Cheers!
Have you installed this kit? Were you satisfied with shipping and customer service?
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #634
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa
• Im not sure if I will be using YJ or CJ shackles yet, if I use the CJ shackles, then I need a 4 degree shim. If I use YJ Shackles, then I most likely need a transfer case drop kit and 6 degree shims. Is this correct?
I have the Heavy OME 2.5 springs with Currie YJ shackles and 4 degree shims...balls-on 6 degree castor.
1983 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo - 258 MOPAR MPFI/T-5/Dana 300 - 4.10 Dana 44 Rear/Dana 30 Front w/ ARB lockers front/rear - 4" BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks - Ground Pounder Fab Front Shorty and Rear Spare Custom Bumpers - PSC Steering w/ Borgeson Shaft - 33x10.50 BFG KM2 on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic III - Work in progress.....
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #635
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Hehe. Balls.
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #636
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsnjeeps View Post

Cheers!
I have the heavy rears and lite fronts (no winch), I go topless in the summer, and have the space saver spare, hard top on the winter, but does not go out and play in the snow.

I have a slight body rake (rear higher that the front) Wish I had the lite rears.

Someday I will do one of the following. 1) take the lift back out, OME "kit" is great and it rides excellent, just would like a more stock appearance. 2) Take the rear springs off and get them re arched a 1/2 inch lower)

I'm not contradicting just supplying information

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #637
sjc115

I just finished reading all 43 pages, and the pdf on suspension basics. That's a lot of info!! Thanks to all who took the time to take pictures and keep us up to date on how things worked.

One thing I still haven't figured out. Why use 4 rear heavy load springs, when they sell front heavy load springs for $25 less (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5032.htm)? What is the difference between them?
sjc115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #638
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc115 View Post
I just finished reading all 43 pages, and the pdf on suspension basics. That's a lot of info!! Thanks to all who took the time to take pictures and keep us up to date on how things worked.

One thing I still haven't figured out. Why use 4 rear heavy load springs, when they sell front heavy load springs for $25 less (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5032.htm)? What is the difference between them?
Big difference is ride quality and how you will use the Jeep.

I have no front winch to support. I was also told the light duty spring would allow the front axle to articulate better, I can not comment on that as I rarely go off road. I was told heave duty springs if you run a hard top and spare. I have light duty in the front and heave duty in the rear, there is a slight rake to the front and if I did it over would have light duty all the way around.

Again it is all about how you will use the Jeep.

Unread 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #639
sjc115

Glenn: Did you use a light duty "front" spring, or a light duty "rear" spring? I'm pretty sure I have seen both front and rear springs in heavy, medium and light load options. My question is why use a rear spring when there are three options for front springs that can be had for less money? I feel like I missed something somewhere in the 43 pages of reading I did over the last two days.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #640
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Glenn: Did you use a light duty "front" spring, or a light duty "rear" spring? I'm pretty sure I have seen both front and rear springs in heavy, medium and light load options. My question is why use a rear spring when there are three options for front springs that can be had for less money? I feel like I missed something somewhere in the 43 pages of reading I did over the last two days.

I have the light duty in the front and heavy duty in the rear.

I think the choice is really determined by how you use the Jeep. Daily transportation on highways without heavy bumpers and a which I would think the way to go would be light duty all the way around. That is what I would do if doing it over.

Unread 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #641
BuckleshootCJ5

1973 CJ5 

What we have here, is a failure to communicate...
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #642
sjc115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have the light duty in the front and heavy duty in the rear.
I'm not doing a good job of explaining my question.

Why use (4) CS036R springs instead of: (2) CS014F's in the front and (2) CS036R's in the rear? Both part numbers are listed as being 'heavy duty'. The CS014F's are about $25 cheaper.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #643
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm not doing a good job of explaining my question.

Why use (4) CS036R springs instead of: (2) CS014F's in the front and (2) CS036R's in the rear?
Because the CSO14F is a 1.75" lift and the CSO36R is a 2" lift. Using the 14Fs in front and the 36Rs in back will cause a noticeable rake, especially after the fronts sag a little.

Keep it simple and buy the 36Rs all the way around. That's my take.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #644
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

I went with CS014F's in the front and CS037R's in the rear. This is a good setup for a lighter load (e.g. no winch or hardtop), plus I wanted to minimize the amount of lift.
Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #645
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Because the CSO14F is a 1.75" lift and the CSO36R is a 2" lift. Using the 14Fs in front and the 36Rs in back will cause a noticeable rake, especially after the fronts sag a little.

Keep it simple and buy the 36Rs all the way around. That's my take.

Matt
Hmmmm..... I wonder if you could use CSO14F in all 4. This would give a little less of a lift but still get the ride. Any issues this that?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.