Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 37 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #541 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
mooncruiser
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vail,AZ
Posts: 550
As for the skidplates check out throttledownkustoms.com

mooncruiser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Renegade82
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lewistown
Posts: 4,847
Garage
Matt - The ones I got for all 4 corners are the Warrior brand ones, however I got them through okay4wd. It's part of their Rock Granite conversion kit and I thought they made their own, as the first ones came loose with all the bolts and sleeves I got with them. But the second order was for the rear ones and they came still in the Warrior box. Identical construction to the first ones. I believe I posted a pic a couple of pages back when someone ask about the studs on them. (edit: yep, post #512, 2 pgs. back)
As for how they fit or work, I'm not quite there yet in my build, but I do like the quality of them.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline  
post #543 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
moon,

I do plan on cutting the bolts to the proper length, but they will still be exposed without some sort of skid plate over them.

I don't see any u-bolt skids on the TDK site.

Thanks, though.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #544 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Matt - The ones I got for all 4 corners are the Warrior brand ones, however I got them through okay4wd. It's part of their Rock Granite conversion kit and I thought they made their own, as the first ones came loose with all the bolts and sleeves I got with them. But the second order was for the rear ones and they came still in the Warrior box. Identical construction to the first ones. I believe I posted a pic a couple of pages back when someone ask about the studs on them. (edit: yep, post #512, 2 pgs. back)
As for how they fit or work, I'm not quite there yet in my build, but I do like the quality of them.
Thanks.

Warrior products seem to have a decent reputation, so that's the route I'll probably go. $200 for a complete set of 4 is a little hard to swallow, though.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #545 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Renegade82
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lewistown
Posts: 4,847
Garage
I've seen them slightly cheaper but the thing is they have to fit the CJ setup (pass. side offset, sway bar, and maybe shocks) but fit the wider YJ spring. So that's why I got them from OK4wd, there'd be no wrong product to return. Theres no part number on the front ones to give you so you could shop around. A direct call to Warrior might get it.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline  
post #546 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
mooncruiser
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vail,AZ
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
moon,

I do plan on cutting the bolts to the proper length, but they will still be exposed without some sort of skid plate over them.

I don't see any u-bolt skids on the TDK site.

Thanks, though.

Matt
Oh sorry, misread ... I see what you're talking about ubolt skids. Check with Jim Crabtree, he was working on a design for ubolt plates.
Bob
mooncruiser is offline  
post #547 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Not if you use the correct sleeves inside the bushings.

I believe it's all documented earlier in the thread.

Matt
IM using OME springs, OME bushes, OME sleeves and a 1/2" bolt WILL NOT work. Ive now got 9/16th bolts that do fit in the non-shackle ends.

OME bushes are different sizes to the other brands and require their own shackle kits to be used. They dont use sleeves at the shackle end at all but rather custom made greaseable pins/bolts that screw directly into the side plates and held with locknuts.
VooDoo2 is offline  
post #548 of 1038 Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
IM using OME springs, OME bushes, OME sleeves and a 1/2" bolt WILL NOT work. Ive now got 9/16th bolts that do fit in the non-shackle ends.

OME bushes are different sizes to the other brands and require their own shackle kits to be used. They dont use sleeves at the shackle end at all but rather custom made greaseable pins/bolts that screw directly into the side plates and held with locknuts.
Hmm...I'm not sure what the differences are in our setups.

I'm currently using Crabtree's shackles and his grease-able bolts. I'm pretty sure they are 1/2" bolts, and they fit perfectly with the yellow bushings (with sleeves) that came in my OME kit.

I assumed my bushings are OME, but perhaps they aren't.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
CrabtreeArt1.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #549 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hmm...I'm not sure what the differences are in our setups.

I'm currently using Crabtree's shackles and his grease-able bolts. I'm pretty sure they are 1/2" bolts, and they fit perfectly with the yellow bushings (with sleeves) that came in my OME kit.

I assumed my bushings are OME, but perhaps they aren't.

Matt
I was talking about the non-shackle end requiring the 9/16th bolts BUT in saying that, the other end (as shown in your pic) doesnt use sleeves from OME (they dont supply them) and uses a larger pin which is machined to the size of the bush. ARB claim it will flex better with the pin rather than a sleeve and bolt and is stronger. Looking at the pins there is no way they would ever bend or break and the bush itself is greased rather than just the inside of a sleeve. ATM to grease those bushes you have requires removal. The OME bush has holes so both the outside and inside is greased via the pin.

Of course it could just be sales speak by ARB who want to sell their gear over others but their reasoning seems sound to me.
VooDoo2 is offline  
post #550 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
I was talking about the non-shackle end requiring the 9/16th bolts BUT in saying that, the other end (as shown in your pic) doesnt use sleeves from OME (they dont supply them) and uses a larger pin which is machined to the size of the bush. ARB claim it will flex better with the pin rather than a sleeve and bolt and is stronger. Looking at the pins there is no way they would ever bend or break and the bush itself is greased rather than just the inside of a sleeve. ATM to grease those bushes you have requires removal. The OME bush has holes so both the outside and inside is greased via the pin.

Of course it could just be sales speak by ARB who want to sell their gear over others but their reasoning seems sound to me.
I guess we can agree that the info I provided is correct for the bushings I received.

Yours are different. Agreed?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #551 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I guess we can agree that the info I provided is correct for the bushings I received.

Yours are different. Agreed?

Matt
At no point was that ever not agreed.

What the issue is, is the fact many others read this thread and like i did myself went out and bought what was listed here and found it wasnt correct. I know i have genuine ARB/OME bushes and that 1/2" bolts wont fit them. The use of sleeves and bolts in the shackle end has worked for you and may work for others but those parts aren't available here (and may not be available in other places) so a solution is to use the ARB/OME shackles which come with bolts for one end of the spring. The other end requires 9/16th bolts not 1/2" as was previously mentioned ONLY if using genuine OME bushes. What fits other bushes would be for another thread not one specifically on OME parts.
VooDoo2 is offline  
post #552 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
Umm...This thread isn't just for OME parts, despite the title. There is plenty of non-OME stuff discussed here.

I'm still not sure why a 1/2" bolt with a 1/16" thick sleeve, isn't the same as a 9/16" bolt with no sleeve, especially if the shackles are drilled to accept a 1/2" bolt, which mine are.

Anyway, perhaps you can post a picture, or two, to explain what we're hashing out.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #553 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 692
This is the OME Shackle and bush kit



Note there is no bolt supplied for the standalone bushes. The bolt required is 9/16th and no a 1/16th sleeve wont work.

Ill take a photo of what the shackle pins look like when not in the bushes and also the bushes themselves with a 1/2" bolt sitting in them to show they dont work.
VooDoo2 is offline  
post #554 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,703
It seems pretty simple to me. If the shackles are drilled to use a 9/16" bolt, then use that size with no sleeve.

If the shackles are drilled for a 1/2" bolt, then use that size with a sleeve.

Do we really need to beat this dead horse more?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #555 of 1038 Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
It seems pretty simple to me. If the shackles are drilled to use a 9/16" bolt, then use that size with no sleeve.

If the shackles are drilled for a 1/2" bolt, then use that size with a sleeve.

Do we really need to beat this dead horse more?

Matt
Not sure why your getting so defensive about this Matt. All i have done is correct some info that was wrong for people that will read this thread. As you can see in the photo the non-shackle bush HAS a sleeve. Again, i wasn't discussing the shackle end of the spring which you seem so fixated in referring to. As this thread is about OME suspension letting others know the correct size bolt to use will stop them doing what i did and buy the wrong bolts. If they use OME parts the pins, bushes, bolts will all work together but they still need 4 x 9/16th bolts to complete the install. If you have info about non-OME parts and bolt sizes then feel free to post up.
VooDoo2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2.5" suspension lift on 33x12.5" tires cyjeeper Jeep CJ Forum 13 03-23-2015 07:28 AM
Trapshooter's BDS 2.5" Suspension Install Thread - Photo Heavy Trapshooter Jeep CJ Forum 122 06-19-2014 10:32 AM
Issues that may occur with suspension lift install? imtheant Jeep CJ Forum 1 06-30-2008 06:47 PM
cj7 2" suspension lift with 32" or 33" tire pics? jojo99 Jeep CJ Forum 12 11-18-2007 10:40 PM
CJ5 With 33's on 4" Suspension and 1" Body Jeff5886 Jeep CJ Forum 11 07-02-2007 10:48 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome