Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #541
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As for the skidplates check out throttledownkustoms.com

mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #542
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Matt - The ones I got for all 4 corners are the Warrior brand ones, however I got them through okay4wd. It's part of their Rock Granite conversion kit and I thought they made their own, as the first ones came loose with all the bolts and sleeves I got with them. But the second order was for the rear ones and they came still in the Warrior box. Identical construction to the first ones. I believe I posted a pic a couple of pages back when someone ask about the studs on them. (edit: yep, post #512, 2 pgs. back)
As for how they fit or work, I'm not quite there yet in my build, but I do like the quality of them.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #543
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

moon,

I do plan on cutting the bolts to the proper length, but they will still be exposed without some sort of skid plate over them.

I don't see any u-bolt skids on the TDK site.

Thanks, though.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #544
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Matt - The ones I got for all 4 corners are the Warrior brand ones, however I got them through okay4wd. It's part of their Rock Granite conversion kit and I thought they made their own, as the first ones came loose with all the bolts and sleeves I got with them. But the second order was for the rear ones and they came still in the Warrior box. Identical construction to the first ones. I believe I posted a pic a couple of pages back when someone ask about the studs on them. (edit: yep, post #512, 2 pgs. back)
As for how they fit or work, I'm not quite there yet in my build, but I do like the quality of them.
Thanks.

Warrior products seem to have a decent reputation, so that's the route I'll probably go. $200 for a complete set of 4 is a little hard to swallow, though.

Matt
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #545
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I've seen them slightly cheaper but the thing is they have to fit the CJ setup (pass. side offset, sway bar, and maybe shocks) but fit the wider YJ spring. So that's why I got them from OK4wd, there'd be no wrong product to return. Theres no part number on the front ones to give you so you could shop around. A direct call to Warrior might get it.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #546
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
moon,

I do plan on cutting the bolts to the proper length, but they will still be exposed without some sort of skid plate over them.

I don't see any u-bolt skids on the TDK site.

Thanks, though.

Matt
Oh sorry, misread ... I see what you're talking about ubolt skids. Check with Jim Crabtree, he was working on a design for ubolt plates.
Bob
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #547
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Not if you use the correct sleeves inside the bushings.

I believe it's all documented earlier in the thread.

Matt
IM using OME springs, OME bushes, OME sleeves and a 1/2" bolt WILL NOT work. Ive now got 9/16th bolts that do fit in the non-shackle ends.

OME bushes are different sizes to the other brands and require their own shackle kits to be used. They dont use sleeves at the shackle end at all but rather custom made greaseable pins/bolts that screw directly into the side plates and held with locknuts.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #548
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
IM using OME springs, OME bushes, OME sleeves and a 1/2" bolt WILL NOT work. Ive now got 9/16th bolts that do fit in the non-shackle ends.

OME bushes are different sizes to the other brands and require their own shackle kits to be used. They dont use sleeves at the shackle end at all but rather custom made greaseable pins/bolts that screw directly into the side plates and held with locknuts.
Hmm...I'm not sure what the differences are in our setups.

I'm currently using Crabtree's shackles and his grease-able bolts. I'm pretty sure they are 1/2" bolts, and they fit perfectly with the yellow bushings (with sleeves) that came in my OME kit.

I assumed my bushings are OME, but perhaps they aren't.

Matt
crabtreeart1.jpg  
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #549
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Hmm...I'm not sure what the differences are in our setups.

I'm currently using Crabtree's shackles and his grease-able bolts. I'm pretty sure they are 1/2" bolts, and they fit perfectly with the yellow bushings (with sleeves) that came in my OME kit.

I assumed my bushings are OME, but perhaps they aren't.

Matt
I was talking about the non-shackle end requiring the 9/16th bolts BUT in saying that, the other end (as shown in your pic) doesnt use sleeves from OME (they dont supply them) and uses a larger pin which is machined to the size of the bush. ARB claim it will flex better with the pin rather than a sleeve and bolt and is stronger. Looking at the pins there is no way they would ever bend or break and the bush itself is greased rather than just the inside of a sleeve. ATM to grease those bushes you have requires removal. The OME bush has holes so both the outside and inside is greased via the pin.

Of course it could just be sales speak by ARB who want to sell their gear over others but their reasoning seems sound to me.
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #550
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
I was talking about the non-shackle end requiring the 9/16th bolts BUT in saying that, the other end (as shown in your pic) doesnt use sleeves from OME (they dont supply them) and uses a larger pin which is machined to the size of the bush. ARB claim it will flex better with the pin rather than a sleeve and bolt and is stronger. Looking at the pins there is no way they would ever bend or break and the bush itself is greased rather than just the inside of a sleeve. ATM to grease those bushes you have requires removal. The OME bush has holes so both the outside and inside is greased via the pin.

Of course it could just be sales speak by ARB who want to sell their gear over others but their reasoning seems sound to me.
I guess we can agree that the info I provided is correct for the bushings I received.

Yours are different. Agreed?

Matt
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #551
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
I guess we can agree that the info I provided is correct for the bushings I received.

Yours are different. Agreed?

Matt
At no point was that ever not agreed.

What the issue is, is the fact many others read this thread and like i did myself went out and bought what was listed here and found it wasnt correct. I know i have genuine ARB/OME bushes and that 1/2" bolts wont fit them. The use of sleeves and bolts in the shackle end has worked for you and may work for others but those parts aren't available here (and may not be available in other places) so a solution is to use the ARB/OME shackles which come with bolts for one end of the spring. The other end requires 9/16th bolts not 1/2" as was previously mentioned ONLY if using genuine OME bushes. What fits other bushes would be for another thread not one specifically on OME parts.
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #552
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Umm...This thread isn't just for OME parts, despite the title. There is plenty of non-OME stuff discussed here.

I'm still not sure why a 1/2" bolt with a 1/16" thick sleeve, isn't the same as a 9/16" bolt with no sleeve, especially if the shackles are drilled to accept a 1/2" bolt, which mine are.

Anyway, perhaps you can post a picture, or two, to explain what we're hashing out.

Matt
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #553
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

This is the OME Shackle and bush kit

Note there is no bolt supplied for the standalone bushes. The bolt required is 9/16th and no a 1/16th sleeve wont work.

Ill take a photo of what the shackle pins look like when not in the bushes and also the bushes themselves with a 1/2" bolt sitting in them to show they dont work.
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #554
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It seems pretty simple to me. If the shackles are drilled to use a 9/16" bolt, then use that size with no sleeve.

If the shackles are drilled for a 1/2" bolt, then use that size with a sleeve.

Do we really need to beat this dead horse more?

Matt
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #555
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
It seems pretty simple to me. If the shackles are drilled to use a 9/16" bolt, then use that size with no sleeve.

If the shackles are drilled for a 1/2" bolt, then use that size with a sleeve.

Do we really need to beat this dead horse more?

Matt
Not sure why your getting so defensive about this Matt. All i have done is correct some info that was wrong for people that will read this thread. As you can see in the photo the non-shackle bush HAS a sleeve. Again, i wasn't discussing the shackle end of the spring which you seem so fixated in referring to. As this thread is about OME suspension letting others know the correct size bolt to use will stop them doing what i did and buy the wrong bolts. If they use OME parts the pins, bushes, bolts will all work together but they still need 4 x 9/16th bolts to complete the install. If you have info about non-OME parts and bolt sizes then feel free to post up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.