Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #526
requiembell
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fort Rucker, alabama
Posts: 70
Matt,

Did you use the Crabtree CJ/YJ Spring Hanger Set on this? Looking forward to this same upgrade as soon as I get back out of the sandbox.

Jeep looks great by the way.

requiembell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #527
billusher76
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 72
Guys, it is entirely possible I missed it, but if I get the OME 2.5" YJ springs, along with everything else I need to do the conversion, will I be able to still fit my 33x12.50's? I just don't want to do a SOA.

Sorry if this is remedial, but I searched and did not find a straight answer.

Thanks!!
__________________
1983 CJ-7 Renegade

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
billusher76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #528
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by billusher76 View Post
Guys, it is entirely possible I missed it, but if I get the OME 2.5" YJ springs, along with everything else I need to do the conversion, will I be able to still fit my 33x12.50's? I just don't want to do a SOA.

Sorry if this is remedial, but I searched and did not find a straight answer.

Thanks!!
33"s will rub without additional body, or shackle (not recommended) lift.

My 32" BFG ATs, which actually only measured about 31.5" brand new, clear by about 5/8" in the rear when I tuck the tire.

Matt
tiretuck1.jpg   tiretuck5.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #529
billusher76
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
33"s will rub without additional body, or shackle (not recommended) lift.

My 32" BFG ATs, which actually only measured about 31.5" brand new, clear by about 5/8" in the rear when I tuck the tire.

Matt
THANKS!!! I really didn't want to do any kind of body lift. Maybe an inch will do....
__________________
1983 CJ-7 Renegade

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
billusher76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #530
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 677
Anyone using the OME shackles? Everything ive seen says the front set goes as per the pic below and the rear goes the opposite with the short side downwards. The problem with this is the crabtree hangers will hit the support bar on the front.

Note the support bar is removed to enable the spring to be mounted and the diff to be installed

VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #531
Renegade82
Web Wheeler
 
Renegade82's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lewistown, PA
Posts: 3,705
I'd say that's the way they go, and the support bar also keeps them from inverting when extended. It's kind of like a plated boomerang shackle.
__________________
The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (still in progress....)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #532
fiddy5cj5
Registered User
1955 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
Seams every one is doin this lift to cj7 but will it work on a old cj5
fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #533
fiddy5cj5
Registered User
1955 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
Most kits say they only work for 76 and newer CJs is there a reason y they won't work on older CJs
fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #534
stamp32
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2
Anyone using the OME shackles? Everything ive seen says the front set goes as per the pic below and the rear goes the opposite with the short side downwards. The problem with this is the crabtree hangers will hit the support bar on the front.

Note the support bar is removed to enable the spring to be mounted and the diff to be installed
Do you have an weight on the springs or are the just hanging? They should correct themselves whenever the weight of the engine pushes on them.

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #535
Caish
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy5cj5 View Post
Most kits say they only work for 76 and newer CJs is there a reason y they won't work on older CJs
I'm not 100% but everything says the Cj5 has a 2.5" width on the rear...
I'm pretty sure my 72 is the same 2" width front and rear.
If so on the earlier years you will have to change the hangers too.

I plan on finding out before long though.
Caish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #536
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
Do you have an weight on the springs or are the just hanging? They should correct themselves whenever the weight of the engine pushes on them.

Chris
Thats full extention, no weight on them so with the pin installed its going to reduce flex and wear that pin out. im going to flip them and see it that works better.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #537
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Another day, another hold up....

You guys were absolutely correct. The stock front Cj shackles won't work with the wider YJ springs and conversion spacer because the bolts are too short. If you want to use the stock shackles in front, you need to buy (4) 1/2" x 4.5" bolts with nuts.

Also, if you want new bushings and sleeves all the way around , you need (2) sleeves per shackle, for a total of (8) sleeves. The kit from 4WD only came with (4) shackle sleeves. So you need to order (4) more.

Four bolts and sleeves are darn cheaper than buying new shackles, but the delays and cost of finding those parts probably make it a wash. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the OME YJ shackles.

My Ol' Girl is still in pieces in the garage, so I don't have much else to share. I hope to find the extra sleeves I need in town, tomorrow...I'm sure that will turn into a treasure hunt like everything else on this thing.

Last note for the evening: OME does make an appropriate shock for the CJ. Apparently, there was a part # mistake at 4WD, and that's why I received the wrong ones...so they say. Anyway, I'm supposed to get the correct ones on Monday or Tuesday.

Matt
Just a heads up, the above parts do NOT fit the ARB/OME bushes but they may fit other brands. Ive now bought the ARB shackle kits and they dont supply the non-shackle end bolts with them. The 1/2" bolts are miles to small. You will need 9/16th bolts to fit the ARB/OME springs.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #538
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Just a heads up, the above parts do NOT fit the ARB/OME bushes but they may fit other brands. Ive now bought the ARB shackle kits and they dont supply the non-shackle end bolts with them. The 1/2" bolts are miles to small. You will need 5/8th bolts to fit the ARB/OME springs.
Not if you use the correct sleeves inside the bushings.

I believe it's all documented earlier in the thread.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #539
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,468
Mornin' gentlemen,

A quick question....

My OME lift kit did not come with u-bolt skid plates. Currently my u-bolts hang down about an inch below the mounting plate (see pic). I'll be cutting those down to just below the nuts. I'm thinking about either making a set, or buying a set of skids.

Is anyone using the Warrior set, and how do you like them?

Any pictures of home-made skids? All advise is welcomed.

Matt
steeringshockinstalled.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #540
mooncruiser
Senior Member
 
mooncruiser's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vail,AZ
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Mornin' gentlemen,

A quick question....

My OME lift kit did not come with u-bolt skid plates. Currently my u-bolts hang down about an inch below the mounting plate (see pic). I'll be cutting those down to just below the nuts. I'm thinking about either making a set, or buying a set of skids.

Is anyone using the Warrior set, and how do you like them?

Any pictures of home-made skids? All advise is welcomed.

Matt
Why not just cut them to the proper lemgth?
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.