Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #496
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I know the thread has gotten lengthy, but I covered the bushing sleeves back on post #28.

I needed to purchase (4) of these, that weren't included in my kit. You'll need (8) total.

Matt

sleeve.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #497
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
OK... playing around with the rear OME springs today while i wait for the shackles to get here and found the OME bushes are different. The diameter is the same (measured) but the end of the bush is different (see pic)

Also OME only supply a metal sleeve for the the non-shackle end. Im pretty sure there is supposed to be one in the hanglers and shackle end of the spring too but the only referance is to a plastic sleeve.

Anyone know what the go is here?
Not sure which kit came with it but I used the SB87 which has 6 bushings and 1 sleeve. The 2 largest bushings go with the sleeve, which is for the stationary end of the spring. The other bushings are 2 different sets with different shoulder widths. Check the edge, they have number molded in. Not sure which goes in top or bottom but since the shackle remains the same distance, measure the mount width and the spring width. One should be slightly wider and will use the narrower shouldered bushing.

The other sleeves I got with my grease bolts from ok4wd. But Matt's link has them cheaper, I paid $3.95 each.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #498
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

The smaller shoulder goes on the spring hanger, the larger shoulder in the spring.

Was obvious when you look closer but my hangers weren't on the car and i had to dig to old ones out of the bin to measure
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #499
rispony
1981 CJ8 

I was just about to go ahead and follow ErikEastman's list of parts necessary to the conversion and I realized something. The spring plates listed are for the YJ and only have one hub, CJ's need two, one for the shock mount, one for the sway bar mount. Anyone know where I could get ones 2.5" wide? I'm quite sure this hasn't been covered!

So, not these:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56008_05.htm

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
rispony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #500
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispony View Post
I was just about to go ahead and follow ErikEastman's list of parts necessary to the conversion and I realized something. The spring plates listed are for the YJ and only have one hub, CJ's need two, one for the shock mount, one for the sway bar mount. Anyone know where I could get ones 2.5" wide? I'm quite sure this hasn't been covered!

So, not these:
Use these

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5255.htm

While it doesn't say it, they come with 1 bolt already so you only need to order 1 per side (i ordered 4 and now have 2 spares). Also some CJ's have the shock mounts on the diff so only need one anyway. (my 83 has diff mounted shocks)
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #501
rispony
1981 CJ8 

"Has built in threaded mounts and hardware for shock mounts or sway bar end links"

Thanks Voodoo. Question though, it has bolt on shock and sway bar mounts? Where would they fit?

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #502
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
"Has built in threaded mounts and hardware for shock mounts or sway bar end links"

Thanks Voodoo. Question though, it has bolt on shock and sway bar mounts? Where would they fit?
Ill take a photo tomorrow for you but the holes for the shock/sway bolts are in the side. These are made with 2 plates and protect the U bolts from getting hit by rocks etc
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #503
rispony
1981 CJ8 

That would be amazing. I have everything installed and all I need left is a pair of correct spring plates. After I check your pics, hopefully I'll place an overnight order for the pair.

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com

Last edited by rispony; 01-27-2013 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: a typo
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #504
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
That would be amazing. I have everything installed and all I need left is a pair of correct spring plates. After I check your pics, hopefully I'll place an overnight order for the pair.
Try these:

http://www.rocky-road.com/wranglerconversion.html
highred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #505
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

So, not these:
Some CJs w dana 30 front axles (like my 86) have the lower shock mount welded to the axle tube and not the plate. I think we mentioned it at some point, but it been a while so I dont remeber exactly where. You could weld a shock stud to the inexpensive YJ plates if you didnt want to buy the more expensive conversion plates.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #506
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Mooncruiser,

I chose the OME shocks (N95) because they are supposed to be valved specifically for the OME springs. That's OME's whole sales pitch...their suspensions are designed to be a matched system, not just individual components.

The N95s are long-travel and are designed for 2-4" lifts, and didn't require moving any shock mounts.

It's been almost a year, now, since my lift install, and I'm still diggin' it. The Ol' Girl looks a little different with her new paint, and tires, though.

Hope this helps,

Matt
WOW man that looks great..
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #507
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highred View Post
Hey ErikEastman,

What color is that? Where did you purchase the paint? That color is bad *** and is exactly what I am looking for! Is it Matte or Gloss?

Thanks!

highred
Hot Rod Flatz gunsmoke metallic. Its matte.
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #508
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:

So, not these:
You can get them from okay4wd, which are just ones from Warrior Products. They have threaded tubes and separate studs to be able to use 1 or 2 studs (shock & sway). I'll see if I can get you a number and pic when I go out in the garage later. Heading to camp right now.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #509
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey gentlemen,

I finally got around to hanging a little Crabtree art on the Ol' Girl this morning.

Matt
crabtreeart1.jpg   crabtreeart2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #510
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highred View Post

They look exactly like the Rubicon ones but more expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.