Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #466
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

If you want a longer travel shock and one that will cope with LOTS more abuse look at the OME LTR range. I can confirm they fit and work but require the remote canister to be mounted.

VooDoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #467
rispony
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I think you'll like these, they're built well and you don't need to grind any rivet off or add a new bolt.
Renegade,

Im gonna go ahead and buy those front hangers. But...I was wondering, did any of you guys buy the rear ones from M.O.R.E. or is that unnecessary if you already have the OME conversion kit?

Here's the part in question:
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/CJ...kle_Hanger.htm

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
rispony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #468
S76
1984 CJ7 

Great thread. Thanks

But I am confused on one point. Everyone seems to use the HD rear springs in all 4 corners. It seems to me, (and that is usually were I go wrong,) that the front springs would naturally be made stiffer to compensate for the weight of the engine.

So is everyone using 4 HD rear springs because they are firmer than 4 HD front springs?

Thanks

Bob
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #469
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The heavy duty springs are used for the front to compensate for the weight of the engine, winch and usually beefier bumper. The same springs are also used in the back to typically compensate for beefier rear bumper with tire carrier, extra Gerry cans hanging off said bumper, hardtop etc.

Make sense?
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #470
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I'm guessing all three models are very similarly valved, and the only real difference is a few mm of travel, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt
I am just installing all of this now on my pal's '86. The N95's are a lighter valve and not as firm as the N42's or N56's.

The N42's are used in the front as they are firmer (motor, winch etc) then the N56's that are used in the rears. The travel should be roughly the same. All of this info I gathered from Jim at OK4WD. I can't wait to drive my pal's CJ when we are finished and compare it to mine which has the Rubicon Express 2.5" lift on it...stay tuned.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #471
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispony View Post
Renegade,

Im gonna go ahead and buy those front hangers. But...I was wondering, did any of you guys buy the rear ones from M.O.R.E. or is that unnecessary if you already have the OME conversion kit?

Here's the part in question:
No, I didn't need to. Since I have a TDK frame the rear hangers are built right into the frame. Since the rear of it remains the same height and doesn't shrink down like the factory frame, a tube is embedded into the bottom of the frame so it keeps the same distance to the bodies mounting plane (top of the mounts). Thereby eliminating the need for a rear shackle hanger.

However, that does bring up a point I must check. The inside diameter must be 1 1/4" to fit the OME bushings for a wrangler yj (so the MORE's should work) which I think are different than the diameter of a Jeep. Can anyone verify that? I'll have to check tonight. I may have to do some...... bush shaving!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #472
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Good thing you brought that up. I checked. The TDK rear mount IS for a Jeep's 1" OD bushings. I'm going to have to ponder a solution for that. Maybe chuck the bushing in a drill press and use some course sandpaper against it and sand it down an eighth inch.
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #473
rispony
1981 CJ8 

So I now have the N95's on the way. I asked for TR but he was off so I spoke with a guy named Seth. He told me that TR taught him the ropes, and it showed. He knew exactly what he was talking about and steered me towards the N95's. Reason being that Jeeps are a rough ride already so the soft shocks compensate for that and make it one hell of a ride with the CS063R HD leaft springs.

Now onto the shackles. I took Renegades advice and purchased a set of the M.O.R.E. YJ front hangers, but I'm still unsure about shackles. Do I need a CJ Shackle or a YJ shackle. Crabtree tools lists them as the same width, so I'm unsure of the difference.

Here are the hangers:

Here's the kit:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_00X_PG.htm

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #474
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

It depends on what lift, if any, you want from the shackles. Because of the wider springs you now need wider 2 1/2" shackles(for the front) like either the YJ or the rear of a CJ. Jeeps stock shackles are 3" bolt hole to bolt hole but the stock YJ's are 4" B to B. I just ordered 2 pair of Warrior shackles for a 1/2" YJ lift which are 5" B to B and will give my Jeep a 1" lift.

You must have called this afternoon because I spoke to TR at lunchtime(noon), which is 9am where he is in Wa. I was trying to see if we could figure out which other bushing might work for the smaller diameter (1") for a Jeep. But the list was long and several dimensions would have to be met, so he thought grinding them down in a drill press would be okay.

You didn't order that kit right?
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #475
rispony
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
You didn't order that kit right?
What's wrong with the kit!!!

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #476
rispony
1981 CJ8 

Ok guys, let me be frank...

I've got a CJ-8 with an I4 that I've restored top to bottom. I've wanted to swap out the old rusty leaf springs and shocks for a while so I decided to go with the Old Man Emu kit from Quadratec. On top of that, I've spoken with friends at ARB and they recommended the N95 shocks to go with the leaf springs of my choice. Now, can anyone please for dear sake recommend both hangers and shackles for this particular lift! I NEED to get this over with and i keep stressing over which is the right part or not!

(Renegade, I NEED your input.)

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #477
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Get the crab-tree kit and be done with it.

IM waiting for mine to arrive then the OME gear and LTR shocks go on.

VooDoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #478
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Get the crab-tree kit and be done with it.

IM waiting for mine to arrive then the OME gear and LTR shocks go on.

x2. Go with the Crabtree Shackles, high quality and well engineered-made in the USA!
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #479
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rispony View Post
Now, can anyone please for dear sake recommend both hangers and shackles for this particular lift! I NEED to get this over with and i keep stressing over which is the right part or not!
Rispony,

My turn to be frank! There really is only one consideration when it comes to shackles and hangers and that is Crabtree's. More expensive but well worth it in the end. There is not another hanger on the market that comes close.

Your CJ8 deserves the best...
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #480
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Who is this "Frank" guy that everyone wants to be?

mvigo - While Jims hangers are top shelf, not everyone can utilize them do to certain situations. Jim and I tried to figure out a solution for mine because I don't use a stock bumper or one of stock width. Mine is wider and where he has a void on the top to slide over the bottom, mine needed a void on top so it slid under the bottom. It's hard to explain without pics.
So my next best solution was the MORE hangers and these fit the bill quite nicely due to using the same holes and are stretched for the longer yj spring. I don't have the benefit of a third bolt for mounting like Jims', but it's the situation I'm stuck with.

rispony - I ask about the kit because if you have ordered it, it already contains hangers, so now you'll have parts you don't need since you already got the MORE hangers. This is why I had said to piece a kit together might be the better option so your not paying for parts you don't need.
As far as the shackles go I don't think you can beat the Warrior brand. I feel having a square block welded in the middle is superior to a round tube bolted thru. Jim already knows my thoughts on this so I'm not trying to offend him, and they both have 3/8" sides which a lot of shackles out there don't. I've had ConFerr shackles on for 26+ years with no issues and the Warriors are the closest I've found to them. Also keep in mind I run a longer length too so I want that extra beef. For stock length ones Jims are much more than adequate.
Just like choosing a kit or parts for a conversion, you must pick what works best for your particular situation. There is no one "top of the pile" solution that fits every case.

ps. "stressing over which is the right part".... this is exactly why my front mounts and shackles are the last parts I've obtained for my suspension conversion and I'm over a year into it!
And even then I overlooked the issue you brought up about being anymore details you should be aware of, then "poof", the light bulb went on about the rear of my frame only being 1" vs. 1 1/4".

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.