Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Uhh...its getting the OME lift done, HD tie rod and drag link flip, and HD steering box brace. Having the front axle stripped down and re-painted while its out as well.

85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #32
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

85LaredoCJ7,

Nice. I should probably look into replacing some of my steering components, as well. It's all straight, and the bushings are all intact, but they are getting a little sloppy.

Will you run a steering stabilizer shock with that setup?

It's looks like I'll need a special tool for that exercise, as well, eh?

The Ol' Girl's bumper got a facelift this morning.

Matt
bumper.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #33
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Yeah....will be running a new stabilizer as well. You can buy the flip kit from ok4wd. It comes with the 3 sleeves for the bottom part of the hole for the TR and DL, and the reemer.

I am going to be going with a new front bumper. Something small and simple. I guess the Laredo bumper will be going to the stash of OE parts in the garage taking up space . I thought about trimming up the Laredo bumper......but don't have the heart.
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

you guys both are doing a bang up job on the suspension lifts...a pain now but well worth it in the end. One suggestion I would make is to beef up your shackle hangers with Crabtree Shackle hangers. He is here on the forum, I just put his hangers on my CJ and pound for pound they have to be the strongest part on my Jeep!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #35
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind word, mvigo, and the tip about the shackles.

I got the front springs on, today, and they look awesome!! Here's a recap:

Picture #1 - The hardest part on the fronts was grinding the frame rivets, and punching them out, to accommodate the new shackle mounts.

Picture #2 - Front shackle installed using the stock shackles and longer bolts.

Picture #3 - I was mistaken earlier. I did have to do a little grinding on the front pumpkin so that the inside passenger U-bolt would fit.

Picture#4 - A little touchup paint took care of that.

Picture #5 - Back on the wheels...minus shocks, of course.
rivetpunch.jpg   frontshackle.jpg   grind.jpg   grindafter.jpg   rightfront.jpg  

Unread 07-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #36
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Nicely done!
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #37
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey 85LaredoCJ7,

I see we have the same winch. I'm not sure how yours mounts, but I had to pull mine to remove the bumper...Good grief, I had forgotten how friggen heavy those old beasts are!!

Anyway, I wanted the readers to know that my old springs sagged noticeably from the weight of the winch. When I lifted it off, the front end came up probably an inch! After the lift, when I reinstalled the winch, the front didn't move at all with the heavy OME springs. Nice!

The other thing I noticed, when taking the Ol' Girl off the jack stands, was how much more flex there is in the system. I have to jack her up a good 8-10" higher in order to get the wheels off the ground.

I'm holding off driving her until I get the shocks on. With any luck they'll arrive, today. I''ll post "after" pics, and a complete parts list, when I'm done.

Lastly, I cannot recommend buying 4WD's version of this lift. I've already shared the screw-up over the shocks and missing parts (shackle sleeves). The final straw came yesterday when I realized they sent me the wrong steering stabilizer shock, too!! The irony is it's the exact opposite problem I had with the regular shocks. I need one that has an eyelet at one end and a post at the other. They sent me one with eyelets at both ends. AAArrrggghhh!!

Fortunately, my Jeep isn't a DD, so the delays are a little easier to swallow.

Matt
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #38
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Oh yes.......I know all about the removal of the winch to get the front bumper off.....and that is one heavy son of a *****! As far as the kit goes, we ordered everything separately because I wanted Bilstein 5100 shocks. We also did the greasable shackle bolts as well. Did you get brake lines?
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

No brake lines, only a spacer for the existing rear. There are two more similar spacers in the kit, but the instructions didn't mention where they are to be used.

There's also a small box that says "T-case drop kit". It contains several spacers and new bolts, but again, the instructions say nothing about it.

Did you have to drop your t-case?

Matt
Unread 07-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #40
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

I didn't drop my T-case. It's sort of optional. This is one of the reasons why I stayed away from the kits and parted everything myself. I knew there would be stuff I was paying for that would end up not being used.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #41
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I am not going to drop my t-case at this point.....unless it will allow me a little bit of clearance between the shaft and trans pan to run a bigger driveshaft in the front......I'm working on that too.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #42
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

I'll send you a couple pics of another CJ with OME and the flex....you may want longer brake lines on the front.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #43
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Cool.

Another question. My kit supplied (2) 1/4" steel plate shims for the front shackle mounts. You can see them on Pictures #2 and#5 above.

I was wondering what the purpose of lowering the shackle mounts was? Not a big deal, but unfortunately I snapped one of the steering box mounting bolts while installing the driver's side shim. Of course that led to another frustrating drill/punch/tap fix....I hate those!

Matt
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #44
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
Cool.

Another question. My kit supplied (2) 1/4" steel plate shims for the front shackle mounts. You can see them on Pictures #2 and#5 above.

I was wondering what the purpose of lowering the shackle mounts was? Not a big deal, but unfortunately I snapped one of the steering box mounting bolts while installing the driver's side shim. Of course that led to another frustrating drill/punch/tap fix....I hate those!

Matt
We aren't at this point on mine yet....but are they to help the new, longer hanger from hitting the front bumper since they are moved at least 1" farther forward?
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #45
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah...now that you have your winch, bumper, etc off and apart, it may not be a bad idea to do a HD steering box mount if that is on your list...I am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.