Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Old Man EMU 2.5" YJ to CJ Suspension Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #421
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Matt, 85LaredoCJ7 and anyone else who has swapped over to the Old Man Emu springs...

How has the lift been thus far? How has your drivelines been both front and back when you have been in 4WD and flexed? Any chatter or problems? No transfer case drop, correct? It is because of this thread that I am going to buy and install this very same setup you did Matt for my pal's "86. My only difference is I am going to use Crabtree shackles and shackle hangers as they are by far the best out there (I have them on my CJ). I have been speaking with Jim at OK4WD and he has been fantastic to speak with. Very knowledgable and willing to answer my questions. I will be ordering everything from him.
I did the exact OME lift as Matt and 85Laredo with the OME heavy rear springs all around, Crabtree hangers, 4" Zone Offroad shackles-(had already bought before I discovered Jim Crabtree's excellent stuff) or I would have definitely bought from Jim. My rear d-shaft angle was not good, so I did the tcase drop (just got some 1" spacers from Ace) and the angles are good now, no vibration-I'm thinking about ordering a driveshaft from Tom Woods and raising the t-case back up. Not crazy about the t-case drop.

mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #422
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
Works on mine, just perfect...I didn't need to modify the Crabtree hangers or the MORE bracket.
Can you post any pics of that side? I have the MORE bracket, which came with 1/4" spacers instead of 5/16" which is the thickness of the stock shackle mounts (but they made it right and sent me correct ones), and was going to get Jim's mounts. But the problem was they also use the bumper mount hole and I have an aftermarket bumper which hangs 1/4" lower than the stock bumper and that interferes with the shackle mounts of his. And being that it has D rings for clevises (pull point), it needs that bottom bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
I know for sure the front YJ leafs are longer than the CJ. I went to a YJ shackle due to the extra inch on the front so they wouldn't buckle under flex and to just give them some breathing room. It just seemed like the right thing to do since it is a YJ conversion for the most part. I wouldn't go any longer than an OE YJ length shackle though.
Yes, both the yj leaf spring and the shackle (stock front) are 1" longer than the CJ. The rear yj shackle is 1/4" longer than the front one is, for some reason. I'm going to get Warrior Products brand shackles, as it's the beefiest ones I've seen available.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #423
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Renegade,

Did you consider notching your aftermarket bumper to provide room for Jim's mount's?

It's on the under side, so it wouldn't be visible.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #424
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderCJ7 View Post
Can anyone weigh in on if the Crabtree hangers will work with an M.O.R.E hd steering box bracket?
I have Sam's Offroad HD steering bracket and Crabtree's shackle hangers fit just fine...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #425
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Because of the detailed write up and information in this thread , I have purchased from OK4wd.com in NJ the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift for my pal's CJ. I went with the HD rear springs on all 4 corners pared with their "firmer" ride shocks that comes with the kit.

Here is a plug for OK4wd.com http://ok4wd.com/, please listen carefully: Jim Oosteyk is the owner and he helped me. I ended up talking with him for 2 hours about CJ's. He is very knowledgable, was patient with my questions, very willing to accomodate my requests and was price competitive. If you are reading this thread for the 1st time, I HIGHLY advise you to call him before you go anywhere else. He is that good. Not only did he split up his CJ/YJ conversion kit to allow me to use Crabtree's shackles and shackle hangers, he also swapped out the shims that normally come with the OME springs and replaced them with the 4* shims (based on the advice in this thread) with no upcharge and knocked the price down by $200. He knows CJ suspensions, uses his products he sells and is genuinely interested in your experience with the items you purchase and install. OK4wd.com will be my 1st stop for all of my CJ needs from here on out. Call them...

I also ended up purchasing for my CJ the HD tie rod/drag link flip kit from them as well and I can't wait to get that on...

Again, thanks to Matt1981CJ7 for starting this thread and all the others for contributing as it is another example of how JeepForum really can turn a knucklehead like me into a decent CJ do it yourselfer...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #426
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, BABY!!

That's great news! Very cool he's willing to split his kit.

Keep us informed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #427
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Can you post any pics of that side? I have the MORE bracket, which came with 1/4" spacers instead of 5/16" which is the thickness of the stock shackle mounts (but they made it right and sent me correct ones), and was going to get Jim's mounts. But the problem was they also use the bumper mount hole and I have an aftermarket bumper which hangs 1/4" lower than the stock bumper and that interferes with the shackle mounts of his. And being that it has D rings for clevises (pull point), it needs that bottom bolt.

Yes, both the yj leaf spring and the shackle (stock front) are 1" longer than the CJ. The rear yj shackle is 1/4" longer than the front one is, for some reason. I'm going to get Warrior Products brand shackles, as it's the beefiest ones I've seen available.
Renegade- here's some pics of the drivers side hanger and the MORE steering bracket
20121129_210414.jpg   20121129_210425.jpg   20121129_210438.jpg   20121129_210449.jpg   20121129_210503.jpg  

20121129_210520.jpg  
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #428
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
Because of the detailed write up and information in this thread , I have purchased from OK4wd.com in NJ the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift for my pal's CJ. I went with the HD rear springs on all 4 corners pared with their "firmer" ride shocks that comes with the kit.

Here is a plug for OK4wd.com http://ok4wd.com/, please listen carefully: Jim Oosteyk is the owner and he helped me. I ended up talking with him for 2 hours about CJ's. He is very knowledgable, was patient with my questions, very willing to accomodate my requests and was price competitive. If you are reading this thread for the 1st time, I HIGHLY advise you to call him before you go anywhere else. He is that good. Not only did he split up his CJ/YJ conversion kit to allow me to use Crabtree's shackles and shackle hangers, he also swapped out the shims that normally come with the OME springs and replaced them with the 4* shims (based on the advice in this thread) with no upcharge and knocked the price down by $200. He knows CJ suspensions, uses his products he sells and is genuinely interested in your experience with the items you purchase and install. OK4wd.com will be my 1st stop for all of my CJ needs from here on out. Call them...

I also ended up purchasing for my CJ the HD tie rod/drag link flip kit from them as well and I can't wait to get that on...

Again, thanks to Matt1981CJ7 for starting this thread and all the others for contributing as it is another example of how JeepForum really can turn a knucklehead like me into a decent CJ do it yourselfer...
If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for these with out shipping? He is only about an hour away and I'm looking to do this in the spring.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #429
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
If you don't mind me asking but what did you pay for these with out shipping? He is only about an hour away and I'm looking to do this in the spring.
I paid $999.95 to OK4WD.com for the springs, shocks, conversion kit and bushings. I paid $401 to Jim Crabtree for 4 new shackles and shackle hangers.

Regardless of whether or not you buy from Jim at OK4wd, you should at least talk to them. They truly are insightful and extremely knowledgeable. If I lived an hour away I would make the drive just to meet him and pick his brain about CJ's. Good luck...
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #430
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

mvigo - I believe they sell all the parts to it individually, as well as in a package. I had gotten a quote last January from Mike at OK4wd (who TR at ARB referred to as the conversion guru) on the different parts. Then in May I had bought the greasable bolts, sleeves, front skids, and a drag link insert from him. I already had the ome springs and greasable bushings. So yes they are knowledgeable folks and willing to work with you.

Matt - No, that's my problem. It can't be notched because I need that bolt in the bumper to be there since it's got D-rings attached for clevises. So it's a structural issue. If the notch on Jims mounts weren't there and it laid flat with a notch on top, I'd be in business, but Jim doesn't do "one of's" / custom sets. I've already picked his brain on the issue. Here's my dilemma. Note the 3/16" spacer needed on the bottom side

mooncruiser - Thanks, great pics. I see you didn't need to remove the rivet and move your mount forward. Here's the issue I had with the MORE mount and it's spacer. It wasn't thick enough to fill the space. Both my stock mount and aftermarket ones were 5/16" thick. How thick were Jim's?
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #431
JeepMonkey
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82
mvigo - I believe they sell all the parts to it individually, as well as in a package. I had gotten a quote last January from Mike at OK4wd (who TR at ARB referred to as the conversion guru) on the different parts. Then in May I had bought the greasable bolts, sleeves, front skids, and a drag link insert from him. I already had the ome springs and greasable bushings. So yes they are knowledgeable folks and willing to work with you.

Matt - No, that's my problem. It can't be notched because I need that bolt in the bumper to be there since it's got D-rings attached for clevises. So it's a structural issue. If the notch on Jims mounts weren't there and it laid flat with a notch on top, I'd be in business, but Jim doesn't do "one of's" / custom sets. I've already picked his brain on the issue. Here's my dilemma. Note the 3/16" spacer needed on the bottom side

mooncruiser - Thanks, great pics. I see you didn't need to remove the rivet and move your mount forward. Here's the issue I had with the MORE mount and it's spacer. It wasn't thick enough to fill the space. Both my stock mount and aftermarket ones were 5/16" thick. How thick were Jim's?
May I jump in with a stupid (but brief) question?
Is the issue with mounting your aftermarket bumper, which looks awesome by the way, due to how your bumper mounts or would there be a conflict with most aftermarket bumpers and Jim's hangars?
JeepMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #432
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

My bumper is wider than the stock bumper, which fits right against the top and bottom of the frame rail. Jims mounts allow for that thickness. My bumper hangs down further and uses a spacer. That's where my interference is. I can't speak for any other bumper, mine is a ProComp one.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #433
mooncruiser

1984 CJ7 

Renegade- it looks like the shackle hangers (Crabtree) are 1/4" thick and the spacer you see in my pic is 1/4"-it came with the mount.I don't believe I was able to use the bottom bumper bolt, I just used some 1.5" angle steel and made some brackets, bolted to the frame and to the bumper where my tow bar mounts bolt through the bumper.
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #434
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I was disappointed by OK4WD yesterday. I had bought front spring plate skids off of them before, which just came loose in a box with the bolts and bushings I also ordered for the spring swap. I ordered the rear skids last week and they came yesterday. They were in a box within a box. The second box was from Warrior Products. The skids are the same construction as the front ones I had got before. So they're just reselling Warrior brand stuff and not their own Rock Equipment brand product which they lead you to believe. Had I known, I could have got them $11 cheaper and got free shipping at 4WDInc instead of an additional $15.

It really erks me that these retailers show or describe one product but sell you another, with no concern of the difference in product quality.
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #435
highred
1979 CJ7 

Awesome color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
I haven't had an alignment done to know...

Here's a pic of what I ended up with, just the right amount of lift imo:

Hey ErikEastman,

What color is that? Where did you purchase the paint? That color is bad *** and is exactly what I am looking for! Is it Matte or Gloss?

Thanks!

highred
highred is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.